Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So You Think You Can Dance (Top 6) 07/29/09

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are your favorites? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are your favorites?

1. Melissa Sandvig (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. Ade Obayomi (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Jeanine Mason (6 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. Brandon Bryant (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

5. Kayla Radomski (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

6. Evan Kasprzak (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Sadly Janette is gone, but there are still some great dancers. Six are left.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

Overall, I was disappointed last night.

I was most disappointed by the pairing of Evan and Melissa. I do not know why Evan is still around, but he proved once and for all that he didn't deserve it last night. He got a broadway routine that was squarely in his style and still didn't live up to expectations. Not only that, he is the first person to hold Melissa back so far that I was dissatisfied with her dancing.

I just didn't see a lot to like with any of the dancers though. The disco routine was so fast that it seemed like the setups for the lifts just stopped the action. While the other routines were well done, they weren't powerful or memorable in the way that I've seen in past weeks. And as far as the hip hop number, as usual I was bored and offer no comment.

I sincerely believe it's time for Evan to go and I'm saddened to realize that Melissa will go with him. As wonderful as she always is, she didn't connect with the crowd and for that I blame Evan.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

I must have been on Mars regarding the Disco because I thought it should have be a lot better than it was. It seemed the lifts all required too much setup time. The two didn't always seem in sync .. Then the Judges started gushing at how great it was.

The best two dances of the night I thought were the two Sonja group numbers. Oh, and Brandan's Solo was awesome. Clearly way above the rest in that department last night.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

I really enjoyed both of Sonya's dances too. I wasn't crazy about the others, particulary the hip hop number. I didn't think Tyce's was as good this week either. Other than the extreme lifts in the disco number, it looked more like what I saw on dance floors at the time, so it was a bit nostalgic for me, but certainly not on the level of the previous disco number choreographed for Brandon & __ which was outstanding.

Overall, I was very disappointed in Jeanine last night. Mary can gush if she wants, but Jeanine's performance in the samba was just plain sloppy, and Ade's performance was bad too. I, who love to watch samba rolls, didn't even recognize them! The whole thing was just a mess. I've seen better on Dancing with the Stars, without the big lifts, of course. I didn't care for Ade's solo either, and Jeanine's looked like last week's again.

Through all his extra verbiage, Lil C gave the best critique of Evan's dancing, about the kicks and arms not being quite sharp enough. I think that's the one major criticism of him for the season, but the judges always just say, "Bring it." I liked both of Evan and Melissa's dances, but they weren't fantastic, as most of the dances last night weren't either. I thought Melissa's solo was excellent though.

I felt Brandon and Kayla did the best dance last night, but then the disco routine didn't play too well. I think I'll be surprised if one of them or Melissa doesn't win the season, barring something bizarre happening in the next week, based on dance alone. In their first dance they created some beautiful lines in inventive ways which I really liked seeing.

#5 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hmmm .. Did everyone lose interest in this show? Next week is the Finale.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

Not with Mrs HDTVFan...that's for sure....:lol:

I think its fair to say that Janette's leaving last week was a surprise and perhaps somewhat of an audience blow....but at least 3 of the final 4 are very sound in that position.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Wasn't home Wed and wasn't going to have time to watch before finale so we ffwd through everything but the dances this week and I agree with Stuart. There was nothing really grabbing about any of the performances except Sonya's two group numbers.

Now last night had a few high points and two really low points for my house:

Highs: We really liked the Tyce routine that opened the show. Totally thought it was a Mia or Mandy Moore routine. Awesome. Also really like the memorable routines from last year. They were great last year and even better this year.

Lows: Jeanine AND Evan stayed. I guess Evan staying isn't that much of a low but Jeanine is clearly no match for Kayla and Evan really isn't going to make Brandon work real hard either.

While it's not a lock by any means, I would not be surprised to see Brandon and Kayla fighting for this years crown.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#8 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

I was not surprised to see Melissa go... but am bamboozled as to Evan's tenacity. If he wins this thing I'll still be shaking my head by the time next season comes.

#9 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:02 PM

Apparently the voters just like Evan and his style, as do I. I like Evan better than Ade, but Brandon is a terrific dancer who would win best dancer.

I'm not thrilled Jeanine is still in the running instead of Melissa, and I hope Kayla proves to be more popular with the voters, but it's happened before that two guys were the last standing, so it doesn't have to be a guy and a girl.

I enjoyed seeing last season's dances again! The dancers seemed much more professional after such a short time. I know many were disappointed when Chelsea left the show last season, so it's nice to see her and the others get the respect and attention they deserve.

#10 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

I was composing this reply to peak when someone slammed slammed the door and closed the thread. At any rate, I won't bother to review any more of this season. I am that dishearted.

Here's the reply to peak...

That's ok, peak. We all saw different things in that number. For me, it was an inappropriate insertion (as was Mia's) into the competition that gave one couple an undeserved advantage. If the choreographers were that concerned about it, they could have added the number as a tribute on a Thursday night without impacting anyone else - and still qualify for the Emmy nod.

I think the choreographers were self-serving and the judges over-the-top in their gushing praise after the number. It's not called "So You Think You Can Choreograph" for a reason. Their meddling in the content, and the judge's over-exuberance came across as contrived.

Of course, the voting public soon rectified the injustice, but I doubt that this is much solace to Jason and Jannette - the latter one of who, I strongly feel would otherwise be standing among the top four along with Evan, Brandon and Kayla.

But I'm really glad you liked it, and more so that you agree with them taking that moment to showcase one of theirs. After all, the producers probably gave it a lot of thought. I'd hate to think it was wasted.

The rest is just my dissenting opinion, not worth much.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#11 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

I issue this public apology to HDG for my closure of that thread. Charise's final post seemed so appropriate, and I didn't know you were composing a reply.

#12 OFFLINE   hillncharge

hillncharge

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

I think Evan could very well win this thing. He has that strong of a fan base. Personally, I think he has stayed in the game too long. Overall, I thought the dancing this week was better than last week. I enjoyed seeing the dances from last season. I liked the Jabbawalkies (sp?).

#13 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

HDG, I hope you will continue to post!! And I feel you're totally correct that when the choreographers do something exciting, it's chance that decides who the dancers are, leaving some without a "memorable" dance.

I'm not sure how to spell it either, hillncharge, but I enjoyed the Jabberwockies (sp) too! Their synchronization was terrific, and the different movements kept me interested the entire way through.

#14 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

I was composing this reply to peak when someone slammed slammed the door and closed the thread.

It might have looked like I was trying to bait you or something but that certainly wasn't my intention. I always respect your opinion.

At any rate, I won't bother to review any more of this season. I am that dishearted.

I've never seen a SYTYCD finale so I don't know what to expect. Hopefully not too many guest appearances by those the producers simply want to cross-market because they're in the stable so-to-speak. That's when a DVR comes in really handy if in chase mode.

Here's the reply to peak...

That's ok, peak. We all saw different things in that number. For me, it was an inappropriate insertion (as was Mia's) into the competition that gave one couple an undeserved advantage. If the choreographers were that concerned about it, they could have added the number as a tribute on a Thursday night without impacting anyone else - and still qualify for the Emmy nod.

I hadn't thought of it that way. Good Point. I'm always least interested in the competition aspect of these shows. It certainly did give Melissa and Ade a boost. OTOH, I doubt any other couple could've come close to giving that piece what they did. By contrast though, as if to illustrate your point, it was followed by that hip hop franken-dance that did no favors to Jason and Kayla.

I think the choreographers were self-serving and the judges over-the-top in their gushing praise after the number. It's not called "So You Think You Can Choreograph" for a reason. Their meddling in the content, and the judge's over-exuberance came across as contrived.

I do agree about the excessive focus on choreography in general. What bothers me the most is that even if the judges hate the choreography they still hold back on criticism because they're pals with the choreographers. The relationship is too chummy and it sometimes prevents honest evaluation.
I would like to see contestant choreographers as well as contestant dancers and then we would hear what the judges really think. As it stands now they invariably gush praise no matter what. It does rankle.

Of course, the voting public soon rectified the injustice, but I doubt that this is much solace to Jason and Jannette - the latter one of who, I strongly feel would otherwise be standing among the top four along with Evan, Brandon and Kayla.

You're probably right that Janette would've lasted (at least) another week. However, it gave Melissa a chance to shine and she seized the opportunity. I thought she deserved all the praise she got for it. Ade too.

But I'm really glad you liked it, and more so that you agree with them taking that moment to showcase one of theirs. After all, the producers probably gave it a lot of thought. I'd hate to think it was wasted.

The Emmy junk doesn't matter to me so I probably did skip over that without enough notice. The all too cozy relationship between choreographers and judges does bother me. If I had looked at it in that way then yes I can totally appreciate your point. I just want to see something special on stage and I do feel I got that and then some. The rest is window dressing.

The rest is just my dissenting opinion, not worth much.

I like dissenting opinions. There's nothing more boring than long threads of incessant agreement. ;)

#15 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

While it's not a lock by any means, I would not be surprised to see Brandon and Kayla fighting for this years crown.

I would like to see it come down to those two also.

#16 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

To Stuart:

Sorry as well, Stuart ... I wasn't looking for a mia culpa as much as I just wanted to vent a little. Of course you have to find a place to draw the line and close a thread ... I know that ... I no doubt overreacted. I do apologize for that sentence. :D

To Charise:

Fear not, I'll still feel free to comment on others' observations. This season, however, the excitement is gone for me. I can't imagine watching the program and spending most of the time trying to find where they (the producers) have rigged the game ... too much work, too much distraction. I love watching the kids perform, and that's why I got hooked on the program in the first place. It just saddens me that they are only pawns in the game and not the main focus. :nono:

To peak:

We may say it differently, but we're on the same page. [Salute!]
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#17 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

This season, however, the excitement is gone for me. I can't imagine watching the program and spending most of the time trying to find where they (the producers) have rigged the game ... too much work, too much distraction. I love watching the kids perform, and that's why I got hooked on the program in the first place. It just saddens me that they are only pawns in the game and not the main focus. :nono:

I'm sorry to hear that "the thrill is gone" for the season, HDG. I know you will still be watching and enjoying the good performances that are left. :) I like seeing them and gauging for myself how far they have come in these weeks of truly hard work. I'm not sure how they even remember the choreography each week!

Looking for the favorite dancer doesn't come easily for me, considering that my all-time favorite dancer was Danny in season three. His technique was simply awesome, he did everything well, and just soared in every leap/jump he did. Nigel hung him with the "arrogant" label, and he didn't last too much longer. He didn't have one of the "memorable" dances, and I don't think he has been mentioned at all this season--maybe once. On the other hand I also really enjoyed watching Benjy from season one. He looked like he was having so much fun dancing, that it was hard to resist him.

When I've gone to dance performances, I am not looking for "personality" from the dancers. Of course, the dancers use some acting, but the dancers aren't supposed to infuse any of themselves in the performances. Mikhail Baryshnikov didn't become known for his personality--it was for his stupendous leaps and fast feet.

Okay, enough from me, I'll quit now. :D

#18 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

[...] Looking for the favorite dancer doesn't come easily for me, considering that my all-time favorite dancer was Danny in season three. His technique was simply awesome, he did everything well, and just soared in every leap/jump he did. Nigel hung him with the "arrogant" label, and he didn't last too much longer. He didn't have one of the "memorable" dances, and I don't think he has been mentioned at all this season--maybe once. [...]

Couldn't agree with you more, Charise. To this day I compare every top contender to him.

Nigel didn't enjoy much credibility with me back then when he labeled Danny as arrogant ... I'd say about as much as he enjoys with me these days. :rolleyes:

Whatever became of Danny?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#19 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

Couldn't agree with you more, Charise. To this day I compare every top contender to him.

Nigel didn't enjoy much credibility with me back then when he labeled Danny as arrogant ... I'd say about as much as he enjoys with me these days. :rolleyes:

Whatever became of Danny?

Charise and Henry, I hate to disagree with you two but Danny was arrogant. Technically no one on his season (season 3) could hold a candle to him; every time he went for post dance interviews you could see it in his face, he wanted no part of being told something wasn't good.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#20 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

Charise and Henry, I hate to disagree with you two but Danny was arrogant. Technically no one on his season (season 3) could hold a candle to him; every time he went for post dance interviews you could see it in his face, he wanted no part of being told something wasn't good.

That's alright, buddy ... we undestand. :sure:

Thanks for the PM! You are indeed da man!
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...