Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So You Think You Can Dance (Top 6) 07/29/09

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are your favorites? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are your favorites?

1. Melissa Sandvig (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. Ade Obayomi (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Jeanine Mason (6 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. Brandon Bryant (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

5. Kayla Radomski (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

6. Evan Kasprzak (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

Charise and Henry, I hate to disagree with you two but Danny was arrogant. Technically no one on his season (season 3) could hold a candle to him; every time he went for post dance interviews you could see it in his face, he wanted no part of being told something wasn't good.

I didn't read it as arrogance, but I didn't save the shows and can't watch them again to see if I would read him differently now.

We will never know if the voters agreed, but Nigel's remark may have brought sympathy for him and kept him from the bottom for the rest of the show until it was down to him and Sabra. I think voters may have thought it was time for a woman to win, but they may also have just not wanted to vote for Danny.

Anyway, Jody, I've no problem with you disagreeing. And we do agree about his dance skill. :D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

I didn't read it as arrogance, but I didn't save the shows and can't watch them again to see if I would read him differently now.

We will never know if the voters agreed, but Nigel's remark may have brought sympathy for him and kept him from the bottom for the rest of the show until it was down to him and Sabra. I think voters may have thought it was time for a woman to win, but they may also have just not wanted to vote for Danny.

Anyway, Jody, I've no problem with you disagreeing. And we do agree about his dance skill. :D

The ole memory joggers keep right on comin' ...

I recall at least three times where Nigel expressed his desire to see a woman take the prize. And wouldn't you know it, she did. Did she deserve it over Danny? Of course not, but Nigel got his wish.

I saw Danny as extremely confident in his dancing ability, as well as what Charise coins as "reticent". I don't consider either of those as arrogance. But Nigel needed to pin something on him to sway the vote sooo ...
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#23 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

Clearly the Judges comments carry some weight .. Often in the opposite direction of what they actually say. Evan may be a prime example of that, BTW. Starting with Lil C and continuing , they seemed to hang Evan out to dry last week. I've seen some agreement to that here. Me? I thought he did pretty good. In the group number, Evan faltered one time IMHO and he gets a pass for that as he was still 90% there. A standing backflip is not easy and the other two dancers are already well versed in that. Everything else in that routine .. Evan was just as good as the other two (again, IMHO).

At this point it's a popularity contest. I wanted Janette to win, but that ain't happening. The remaining dancers are good. Perhaps the biggest problem with this year (not a problem, BTW) is that all of the dances were at such a high level from start to finish. So growth is not as clear cut this time around.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

Clearly the Judges comments carry some weight .. Often in the opposite direction of what they actually say. Evan may be a prime example of that, BTW. Starting with Lil C and continuing , they seemed to hang Evan out to dry last week. I've seen some agreement to that here. Me? I thought he did pretty good. In the group number, Evan faltered one time IMHO and he gets a pass for that as he was still 90% there. A standing backflip is not easy and the other two dancers are already well versed in that. Everything else in that routine .. Evan was just as good as the other two (again, IMHO).

At this point it's a popularity contest. I wanted Janette to win, but that ain't happening. The remaining dancers are good. Perhaps the biggest problem with this year (not a problem, BTW) is that all of the dances were at such a high level from start to finish. So growth is not as clear cut this time around.

Evan's style hasn't been seen much on TV in 30 years, so I think the public is just enjoying watching. His deficits in this competition (as outlined by the judges) don't seem to outweigh his strengths and charisma with the voters. I have not seen him off much in the group numbers. In fact, I think he's been better in the group numbers than in the duets. Has he stood out? Yes, he's shorter and lighter skinned than the rest. :D That actually hurts him. A dancer shouldn't "stand out" in a group number (except on this show) unless they have a spotlight section. So, it's easier to see minimal flaws when you are the focus purely due to your physical characteristics.

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

Evan's style hasn't been seen much on TV in 30 years, so I think the public is just enjoying watching. His deficits in this competition (as outlined by the judges) don't seem to outweigh his strengths and charisma with the voters.

I suspect Evan was the 4th of the 4 finalists, primarily in that he is the most "one dimentional" of the group.

Brandon is the most versatile and consistent male finalist to this point in the competition, and Kayla is the female counterpart.

It will indeed be interesting to see how this all comes down in the end. ;):)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

I suspect Evan was the 4th of the 4 finalists, primarily in that he is the most "one dimentional" of the group.

Brandon is the most versatile and consistent male finalist to this point in the competition, and Kayla is the female counterpart.

It will indeed be interesting to see how this all comes down in the end. ;):)

You could very well be correct that Evan was the 4th highest in vote count. I think he's the only one that has never been in the bottom though.

I'm looking forward to the remaining dances! It will be interesting to see the pairings and genres!

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

You could very well be correct that Evan was the 4th highest in vote count. I think he's the only one that has never been in the bottom though.

I'm looking forward to the remaining dances! It will be interesting to see the pairings and genres!

If it's like last year each dancer will dance once with each other dancer and then there will be one group number. So that's four dances each with a total of 7 dances (if my math is right) ..

Evan, Kayla, Branden, Janine

Evan & Kayla
Evan & Branden
Evan & Janine

Kayla & Branden
Kayla & Janine

Branden & Janine

If they each do solos, then that's another 4 dances .. and 5 each.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks, Doug. I hadn't remembered they danced with each of the other three. It should be a fun night with lots of dances!

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Yep, that's how I remember it ... everyone dances with everyone. It makes for a grueling perfomance night for the kids, but man is it ever entertaining!

Assuming everyone minds their P's and Q's and we don't have any last minute shenannigans, we should be in for a thrill. I give a substantial edge to Brandon for the men; Kayla for the women ... of course, it would have been Jeanette otherwise.

Edited by Henry, 03 August 2009 - 10:27 PM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...