Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Different locations?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:47 PM

Just a technical question....suppose I signed up to have 4 receivers in my home...from Dish network, at a cost of about $50/ month.

Now just suppose that I only desire 3 of these receivers...but my friend who lives across town would like to have one of the receivers in his home.

If we set up a dish at his house, hooked it up to *MY* receiver....it would work, yes?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 08:28 PM

Yes, that would work but it's technically illegal and I highly advise against it.

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 08:45 PM

How would they find out?

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 08:50 PM

If you plug a phone line in or someone reports you
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:44 PM

I don't see how it would be illegal. If someone's paying for programming I don't see what's wrong with them placing the receivers wherever they want.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 11:31 PM

It's illegal because in essence the amount of money that you are "paying" for your friend's service is limited to the additional receiver fee. In other words, he is getting the same level of programming that you get, but he is only paying $4.99 per month for that service, while you are paying the full $50 a month. That is considered theft. For him to have the same level of service, he would also have to fork up the $40 or $50 himself to Dish.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#7 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 02:28 AM

It would be a simple case of fraud. It's stated in the residential agreement no one reads but it's bound by.

Residential Service Agreement
Part one paragraph F

Additional Receivers. To independently tune additional televisions within your home, a separate DISH Network receiver is required for each television. DISH Network will allow you to place up to five additional receivers on your account. Each additional receiver would be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. DISH Network will charge you a reduced monthly fee (Additional Receiver Authorization Fee) for each additional receiver added to your account. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to the same telephone line. If you desire to receive Services at two different locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to the same phone line. If we later determine that you did, we may terminate your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network DBS receiver on the account, whether owned by you or not. The payment of that amount and/or the termination of Services shall not prejudice our ability to exercise any other rights and remedies we may have under this Agreement, at law, in equity, or otherwise.

Bold letters were added by me.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2002 - 06:17 AM

I was pretty sure Charlie once said it was OK to take a receiver with you on vacation or to a second part-time residence. Although the agreement clearly says they can take action against you for this, in practice they probably won't say anything. Giving an activated receiver to a friend or relative is what they call "stacking" and is a big violation of the user agreement.

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 09:59 AM

I recall Charlie talking about taking the 501 filled up with recorded programming to your vacation house, hooking it up, and being able to watch the recorded programs without having to connect to a dish.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#10 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:02 AM

I currently live in the New York City DMA and I recieve the New York locals through Dish. If I were to take my reciever to upstate NY, out of the New York City DMA, would I still recieve the New York locals?

#11 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Bowling For Soup
I currently live in the New York City DMA and I recieve the New York locals through Dish. If I were to take my reciever to upstate NY, out of the New York City DMA, would I still recieve the New York locals?

At this point, you could take the receiver all the way to California and you would still receive the New York locals. When we go on vacation, we will take one of our receivers with us. It's really cool getting a crystal clear picture from your local stations when you are thousands of miles away.

#12 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 03:53 PM

Thats stealing.

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts