Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Babylon 5

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

I pulled out season 3 disc 3 and watched a couple episodes since I didn't remember, using PS3 and 73" Mits 1080p DLP RP picture was very grainy.

thats what i was afraid of. the xfiles were grainy too. thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

With B5, it was a matter of unevenness. The space scenes were okay (still grainy, I'm sure, at some display sizes); what was really bad were the CGI scenes inside the station (the central core -- the big open area in the middle).

#23 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

I thought it was PTN (Prime Time Network) that screwed things up with not renewing past season 4 and it was TNT that came to the rescue with season 5.

That's correct and even though I hate all the dancing logos on TNT and their persistent stretch-o-vision stuff, I've always appreciated them in a big way for saving B5. I think another big problem with the show, which a lot of people harp on(I thought it was great) was that Season #5 was all downhill, and the main reason was that JMS not knowing until pretty late in Season #4 that it was going to get picked up was escalating the storylines so that B5 would have a real conclusiong at the end of 4 seasons, and then when he found out about the pickup he sort of backed off and had to figure out how to make it all work for another season. He didn't get to tell his story the way he intended, because of the looming/potential cancellation.

Hardly anyone liked the Rangers series(can't remember the name of it right now), but I loved all things in the B5 universe, it is without a doubt my favorite Science Fiction series of all time.

#24 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:57 PM

I forgot about that. A quick web search pulls up "Crusade" and "Legend of the Rangers" but I don't know if they refer to the same program or not.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#25 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

"Crusade" was the short-lived series, while "Legend of the Rangers" was a TV movie (aired on SciFi).

#26 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

I really liked this series. The books are really good also, but a bit hard to find.

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#27 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

Cool to see this thread. I just pulled out my season sets and started from season 1 since it has been a few years since I watched them all. Unfortunately my second disc has a scratch and a few episodes have 1 chapter that isn't viewable. Anyway I too am mad that the resolution on my 42" plasma isn't great at all. Last time I watched it was on a 32" CRT and I didn't notice how grainy it was.

Anyway I was an original viewer in my early teens. It aired on Saturday nights IIRC at 10:30pm on out NBC affiliate. Since we didn't have cable I never saw the 5th season until it was in reruns and I was in college, same thing with Crusade. I liked Crusade, and own the DVD set, but when you knew the plague cure would be found because of the future scenes in the last episode of B5 it kind of killed some of the story. From what I remember JMS also said TNT tried to sex up the show too much as well as show the episodes out of order so it just never had a chance. I'll also admit every time I watch Sleeping In the Light I get a tear in my eye at the end.

#28 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

At one point I had all the episodes on VHS off-air, complete with commercials! Then I grabbed a 'gold box' offer on Amazon and got the complete five season DVD set for $105, a real bargain since at one point just one season was $85. I also adored Crusade and will forever wonder about the stories in the canceled episodes. I have Legend of the Rangers too. One of the most missed shows in this household.

I wonder if it will ever be in BluRay.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#29 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

I snagged that Gold Box deal, too.

And I think the aforementioned graininess preclude most chances of a BD release. There just aren't enough bits there. I think that's the general case, for programs that were videotaped (even only in part), rather than filmed (in entirety), before HD.

#30 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

This is still one of my all time favorite series...The spin-offs were not bad either.

― 
Joseph Campbell

#31 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Lyta Alexander was played by Patricia Tallman, she was Kosh's personal psychic, she was on the original pilot, she was off for a year or so. I liked the way some characters would be off the show and then show up again, like Sinclair.

Posted Image

I have the 1998 B5 Calendar with nearly everyone's signature except Pat's and Steven Furst's. Too long a story to tell how I got the autographs, but it was fun!

The change over in cast was sometimes due to conflicts with the actors and JMS. Generally speaking, once you ticked him off, he wrote you out of the series and gave your storyline to another actor.

Andrea Thompson, Jerry Doyle's ex wife, was the Psi Corp physic that was supposed to deal with Psychic issues. I am not sure what the issue between them was, but JMS wrote her out, having Psi Corp disect her body, her brain in a bottle somewhere. JMS made sure there was no return. So Patricia Tallman was given the story arc that she had. Claudia Christian, Ivanova, was also supposed to be a latent psychic. When she did not sign, quit or was fired for season five, her latent evolving psychic power story arc was also given to Pat.

I believe JMS has also stated that he originally wrote the story for Micheal O'Hare to be the station commander for the whole arc. Micheal left, but came back to do the Valen bit.

In both these instances, he actually made a better story by changing the story to new characters. Boxleitner/Sheridan was more of an action hero, O'Hare/Sinclair/Valen was more cerebral, more likely to win with words than actions.

#32 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I have the 1998 B5 Calendar with nearly everyone's signature except Pat's and Steven Furst's. Too long a story to tell how I got the autographs, but it was fun!

The change over in cast was sometimes due to conflicts with the actors and JMS. Generally speaking, once you ticked him off, he wrote you out of the series and gave your storyline to another actor.

Andrea Thompson, Jerry Doyle's ex wife, was the Psi Corp physic that was supposed to deal with Psychic issues. I am not sure what the issue between them was, but JMS wrote her out, having Psi Corp disect her body, her brain in a bottle somewhere. JMS made sure there was no return. So Patricia Tallman was given the story arc that she had. Claudia Christian, Ivanova, was also supposed to be a latent psychic. When she did not sign, quit or was fired for season five, her latent evolving psychic power story arc was also given to Pat.

I believe JMS has also stated that he originally wrote the story for Micheal O'Hare to be the station commander for the whole arc. Micheal left, but came back to do the Valen bit.

In both these instances, he actually made a better story by changing the story to new characters. Boxleitner/Sheridan was more of an action hero, O'Hare/Sinclair/Valen was more cerebral, more likely to win with words than actions.

JMS must have had a lot of troubles out of the female telepaths :) here's a snippet from the Lyta Alexander wiki page:

Lyta Alexander is a character from the fictional universe of the science-fiction television series Babylon 5, played by Patricia Tallman.

Lyta was introduced in the pilot episode "The Gathering" as a telepath assigned to the Babylon 5 space station by the Psi Corps, a fictional organization providing support to telepaths and monitoring their activity. However, she did not appear in the remainder of Season One due to a dispute concerning Tallman's salary[citation needed]. Lyta's role in the series was largely taken up by Andrea Thompson, who was cast as Talia Winters, a telepath who took over Lyta's responsibilities in the station. In the script it was implied that the latter had to be replaced, as she had made telepathic contact with Kosh, the ambassador of the secretive Vorlon Empire. After Thompson left the series due to disagreements regarding the amount of screen time given to her character[1], Lyta returned as a recurring character in Seasons Two and Three, and became a regular cast member from Season Four onward. Her character simply resumed the dramatic arc once intended for Thompson.

#33 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:21 AM

The "screen time disagreements" were along the lines of "I want to be paid for 'x' episodes but only have to appear in 'x - y' episodes".

#34 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Bab 5 was one of my favorite shows.
Just in case any of you wanted to see a little more, I am not sure if everyone knew that JM released another mini installment in late 2007, it's called the lost tales and was made for DVD Direct sales. (Its low budget, but it still has JM's great story telling)

http://www.amazon.co...49754230&sr=8-9

#35 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

From what I have heard, JM made a whole lot of enemies, he is literally black listed with the Hollywood crowd. I heard that they even destroyed all the B5 props costumes and sets even though he wanted to buy and save them.

The "screen time disagreements" were along the lines of "I want to be paid for 'x' episodes but only have to appear in 'x - y' episodes".

#36 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

Bab 5 was one of my favorite shows.
Just in case any of you wanted to see a little more, I am not sure if everyone knew that JM released another mini installment in late 2007, it's called the lost tales and was made for DVD Direct sales. (Its low budget, but it still has JM's great story telling)

http://www.amazon.co...49754230&sr=8-9

That's the only SD DVD I've bought since I got into Blu-ray. He had plans for more direct to DVD, but I guess it depended on how well the first one went. Not really sure if it did very well or not.

#37 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

From what I have heard, JM made a whole lot of enemies, he is literally black listed with the Hollywood crowd. I heard that they even destroyed all the B5 props costumes and sets even though he wanted to buy and save them.

Citation?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#38 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

WOW!!!... That is harsh.

― 
Joseph Campbell

#39 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

I've been following jms since his "GEnie" days where he announced the project that became Babylon 5. It's the one thing that I've totally geeked out over because of the unprecedent look behind the scenes and watching it unfold over the years. People have come and gone and made various kinds of statement and innuendoes over the years. However, not a single written word from JMS has been able to be proven wrong. People have recanted their words over the years, the most notable case being Claudia Christian's admission that yes, she DID quit and WAS trying to get more money.

If you keep an eye on Usenet you'll know that JMS is HARDLY 'blacklisted'. He's as busy as any man in Hollywood and has been getting an ever higher profile. In fact you might be familiar with "Changeling" - a movie from last October that he wrote, directed by Clint Eastwood. Yeah. That's a real blacklisting.

Look at his IMDB page and you'll see that he's part of the following projects in development: "Lensman", "The Flickering Light", "World War Z" and "Forbidden Planet", "Silver Surfer" and more. He did the two seasons of "Jeremiah" for Showtime after B-5 so the 'blacklisting' wasn't around then either.

Now, if you've followed his career you know there have been arguments with "suits". The most classic case, IMO, being when 'suits' told him to change the opening scene of the B-5 follow-on series "Crusade" to include a fistfight because it would be starting after wrestling (on TNT).

You'll also hear him speak well of certain organizations who don't interfere and be less kind to those who do.

He's always been more than gracious to the fans, always signing autographs for everyone in line.

Striking the sets comes from the fact that it becomes cheaper to rebuild than store when you have no idea how long something will be in storage. In addition, set construction is a pretty normal line item in the budget of any project. Plenty of props were around, though, because they've been offered at charity auctions in the past. Heck, sometimes fans were allowed to buy more props made by the original manufacturer (I'm thinking specifically of the Ranger pins but I know there were more).

Now, I don't know which "Hollywood crowd" has "blacklisted" him, but he sure doesn't seem to have the oodles of free time that would be implied by such a situation.

I *have* heard many rumors come out that are frequently started by Star Trek fanboys (and don't get me wrong, I'm a long-time Trek fan) who think that, somehow, there was no room for more science-fiction than "Trek". Unfortunately, it's true that a lot of studio execs thought that way. Doesn't seem to be the case now (mercifully).

#40 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

I think a lot of people might interpret how little JMS' stock has risen since B5 as some indication that he's getting the short-end of the stick. The reality is that, as great as B5 was, it was JMS' best idea to date, and didn't really make as much money as some of those who put money into the endeavor would have liked. Fans don't necessarily translate into money, and they call it show "business" because it is a business, and as such money really does matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...