Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Babylon 5

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

You seem to be more on top of this than me :) I only heard this from a guy who is a B5 fanatic, so in no way was my statement researched or a first hand account. I do know from an article that when he was leaving B5 he tried to buy and secure the sets and props and was denied, he also said that when they went back to do the Lost Tales only one Star Fury cockpit was left and one flight suit. All the other sets, costumes and props hdd been stolen or destroyed. I had asked my B5 friend what was up with that and he was the one that told me he is Blacklisted.

Djlong I hear what your saying, but I am puzzled, why have they not made any more Bab5 productions when this show is such a hit? I mean if you mention the top 3 scifi series almost every geek in the world has B5 in that list. You sure that something else is not going on, cause I hear that JM would love to make more B5 but he cant get any funding! (Not sure if thats true but thats the rumour I have heard)

I've been following jms since his "GEnie" days where he announced the project that became Babylon 5. It's the one thing that I've totally geeked out over because of the unprecedent look behind the scenes and watching it unfold over the years. People have come and gone and made various kinds of statement and innuendoes over the years. However, not a single written word from JMS has been able to be proven wrong. People have recanted their words over the years, the most notable case being Claudia Christian's admission that yes, she DID quit and WAS trying to get more money.

If you keep an eye on Usenet you'll know that JMS is HARDLY 'blacklisted'. He's as busy as any man in Hollywood and has been getting an ever higher profile. In fact you might be familiar with "Changeling" - a movie from last October that he wrote, directed by Clint Eastwood. Yeah. That's a real blacklisting.

Look at his IMDB page and you'll see that he's part of the following projects in development: "Lensman", "The Flickering Light", "World War Z" and "Forbidden Planet", "Silver Surfer" and more. He did the two seasons of "Jeremiah" for Showtime after B-5 so the 'blacklisting' wasn't around then either.

Now, if you've followed his career you know there have been arguments with "suits". The most classic case, IMO, being when 'suits' told him to change the opening scene of the B-5 follow-on series "Crusade" to include a fistfight because it would be starting after wrestling (on TNT).

You'll also hear him speak well of certain organizations who don't interfere and be less kind to those who do.

He's always been more than gracious to the fans, always signing autographs for everyone in line.

Striking the sets comes from the fact that it becomes cheaper to rebuild than store when you have no idea how long something will be in storage. In addition, set construction is a pretty normal line item in the budget of any project. Plenty of props were around, though, because they've been offered at charity auctions in the past. Heck, sometimes fans were allowed to buy more props made by the original manufacturer (I'm thinking specifically of the Ranger pins but I know there were more).

Now, I don't know which "Hollywood crowd" has "blacklisted" him, but he sure doesn't seem to have the oodles of free time that would be implied by such a situation.

I *have* heard many rumors come out that are frequently started by Star Trek fanboys (and don't get me wrong, I'm a long-time Trek fan) who think that, somehow, there was no room for more science-fiction than "Trek". Unfortunately, it's true that a lot of studio execs thought that way. Doesn't seem to be the case now (mercifully).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

I have some potential sacrilege to put forward. It stems from a stupid message I saw posted as a reply to a blog message about the premiere of the reboot of the "V" franchise (now scheduled for Tuesday, November 3, on ABC). The message expressed the kind of absolutism that I really find ridiculously inane but all too prevalent in science fiction fandom -- the proprietary sentiment that the original is always best, that everything done since [pick arbitrary date, maybe when the person saying it first started shaving] has been crap, etc. and so on. In this case, of course, the poster was saying that "V" should never be redone, remade, what-have-you.

Poking a stick, perhaps (but I actually do believe it, to some extent, though clearly nowhere near as absolutely as I worded it -- I did that just to mirror the previous poster's inane perspective), my reply implied that I think everything should be remade, whenever either new artists (screenwriters, directors, actors, etc.), or new technology exist, that would result in a new take on the original concept.

So here's the potential sacrilege: When would it be appropriate to remake B5*? What changes would you like to see applied to the remake? If it was being remade today, who would you like to see play which roles?

Personally, I really think B5 is a series that should be redone sooner than later, because it was made in a very inopportune time. (I think I alluded to this a few days ago.) It was made with a lot of very sophisticated special effects, after the beginning of the use of digital video for such effects, but before that technology was sufficient to translate into HD. Film effects can be remastered into HD, but digital video effects, made without sufficient resolution, cannot, and if the original source material for the superimposed live action is not available, you couldn't even redo all the special effects from scratch, assuming you were so inclined.

* I suspect JMS owns it, but let's say he doesn't, and instead the asset is owned by Paramount or someone like that. Alternatively, perhaps JMS would allow it to be redone, or would perhaps lead the remake himself.

#43 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

Yep thats the odd thing about B5, it's probably the best SciFi series ever produced yet it gets very little recognition. I am sure that one day people willl look back and revive it, but by then it will be all new actors.

I think a lot of people might interpret how little JMS' stock has risen since B5 as some indication that he's getting the short-end of the stick. The reality is that, as great as B5 was, it was JMS' best idea to date, and didn't really make as much money as some of those who put money into the endeavor would have liked. Fans don't necessarily translate into money, and they call it show "business" because it is a business, and as such money really does matter.

#44 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

I have some potential sacrilege to put forward. It stems from a stupid message I saw posted as a reply to a blog message about the premiere of the reboot of the "V" franchise (now scheduled for Tuesday, November 3, on ABC). The message expressed the kind of absolutism that I really find ridiculously inane but all too prevalent in science fiction fandom -- the proprietary sentiment that the original is always best, that everything done since [pick arbitrary date, maybe when the person saying it first started shaving] has been crap, etc. and so on. In this case, of course, the poster was saying that "V" should never be redone, remade, what-have-you.

Poking a stick, perhaps (but I actually do believe it, to some extent, though clearly nowhere near as absolutely as I worded it -- I did that just to mirror the previous poster's inane perspective), my reply implied that I think everything should be remade, whenever either new artists (screenwriters, directors, actors, etc.), or new technology exist, that would result in a new take on the original concept.

So here's the potential sacrilege: When would it be appropriate to remake B5*? What changes would you like to see applied to the remake? If it was being remade today, who would you like to see play which roles?

Personally, I really think B5 is a series that should be redone sooner than later, because it was made in a very inopportune time. (I think I alluded to this a few days ago.) It was made with a lot of very sophisticated special effects, after the beginning of the use of digital video for such effects, but before that technology was sufficient to translate into HD. Film effects can be remastered into HD, but digital video effects, made without sufficient resolution, cannot, and if the original source material for the superimposed live action is not available, you couldn't even redo all the special effects from scratch, assuming you were so inclined.

* I suspect JMS owns it, but let's say he doesn't, and instead the asset is owned by Paramount or someone like that. Alternatively, perhaps JMS would allow it to be redone, or would perhaps lead the remake himself.

JMS should be in charge and take the story on out as he planned, with the Crusade series, reboot the whole thing and take off with the story he intended to tell. It would be a sequel, but it would still entail the B5 universe and would be what I would like to see. I'm not sure it would be a big money winner though, but I think it's the way I'd like to see the B5 universe continue.

#45 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

LOL we posted at the same time.

Ok so when do I think it should be redone? I am going to do a 180 on you and say that I think it should be longer than sooner, I would say about 10 years from now. B5 was just too good to try and remake it this soon, people are going to be comparing eveything to the orginal and its going to be really hard to get a group of actors who can replace Delen, Sheridan, JKar and Lando (forgive the spelling). IMO before you can remake it, the orginal has to look Dated and B5 still looks pretty good when compared to current shows. What they could do in the meantime is to rerelease the orginal with all new special effects and some added clips.

Updated

As you can see, I agree that it should have a special effects update.
If Galactica is going with this new ".5" stuff why cant B5 have all new .5 seasons.

Personally, I really think B5 is a series that should be redone sooner than later, because it was made in a very inopportune time. (I think I alluded to this a few days ago.) It was made with a lot of very sophisticated special effects, after the beginning of the use of digital video for such effects, but before that technology was sufficient to translate into HD.

Edited by dreadlk, 09 August 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

Yep thats the odd thing about B5, it's probably the best SciFi series ever produced yet it gets very little recognition. I am sure that one day people willl look back and revive it, but by then it will be all new actors.

Maybe it was because of it's syndication system, a loose set of local stations that usually has low viewer ship to begin with. It didn't hit a major outlet until season 5 on TNT and by then it's bese days were over.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#47 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

Maybe it was because of it's syndication system, a loose set of local stations that usually has low viewer ship to begin with. It didn't hit a major outlet until season 5 on TNT and by then it's bese days were over.

That was definitely the case around here, it was first on a local independent station that was low powered, eventually became a WB station(I had it on cable thank goodness). They dropped it after the first season and I had to depend on a buddy at work that could get the Knoxville UHF station, but he barely got it and the tapes were almost unwatchable at times. Finally the 3rd season(possibly late in Season #2) was picked up by our local Fox station and I also found the feed on satellite and watched it during the week that way and then finally TNT picked it up for season #5. It was certainly a chore keeping up with, but it was definitely worth it.

I did watch it all the way through again, I think it was TNT that ran it every day while they were running Season #5 and they also ran all the movies.

#48 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

why have they not made any more Bab5 productions when this show is such a hit? I mean if you mention the top 3 scifi series almost every geek in the world has B5 in that list. You sure that something else is not going on, cause I hear that JM would love to make more B5 but he cant get any funding!

It ended because it ended. It was a specific story line with a specific conclusion.

No, I don't think B5 should be remade. Ever.

The only thing worth watching on "V" was Diana.

Now, why do people quote the entire post instead of just the relevant portion?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#49 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

V was not one of my favorite shows, IMO a complete waste of cash by ABC, I give it one season or less.

I have some potential sacrilege to put forward. It stems from a stupid message I saw posted as a reply to a blog message about the premiere of the reboot of the "V" franchise (now scheduled for Tuesday, November 3, on ABC).

#50 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly -- this time around it has a much more impressive cast than last time AFAIC.

#51 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

Lets hope :)
What I really wish would come Back is Terminator SCC. If V and Defying Gravity are succesful, maybe FOX will want to have a Scifi show to put up against them! But hey it's FOX so I know thats never going to happen.

I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly -- this time around it has a much more impressive cast than last time AFAIC.

#52 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Here's another hope for that thought...... :)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#53 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

That's the only SD DVD I've bought since I got into Blu-ray. He had plans for more direct to DVD, but I guess it depended on how well the first one went. Not really sure if it did very well or not.

I bought it when it first came out. It definitely felt like B5, but the limited number of characters did make the place seem 'smaller'.

#54 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

From what I have heard, JM made a whole lot of enemies, he is literally black listed with the Hollywood crowd. I heard that they even destroyed all the B5 props costumes and sets even though he wanted to buy and save them.

That might be revisionist history on JMS wanting to buy everything. He wrote nearly every episode after the first season. He was reported working 20 hours per day. When he finished the series, he had used up all the ideas in his story arc.

When the fifth season was over, they wasted no time destroying sets. The series was filmed at a former warehouse in Sun Valley CA which was owned by the production company. I seriously doubt Warner Brothers owned the props or sets. Certainly they didn't have possession of them. It is my opinion they were destroyed to prevent Warner Bros from recreating the series without JMS' control. They also needed room in the studio for the Crusade sets.

The CGI models were in JMS's possession and he stated several years later that the hard drives that the CGI models were on were no longer in existance (with implication again to prevent an easy series return). Blowing up B5 in Sleeping in Light was an intentional attempt to prevent a series resurrection.

Now there might have been bridges burned, but there was a greenlight for preproduction on a theatrical B5 movie, surviving the death of Richard Biggs and then ended with the loss of Andreas Katsulas.

spam firewall