Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free Platinum HD?

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

As of today (August 1st) the Dish Network website now shows Platinum HD is free with any other HD package. (And there's no place to add Platinum HD to any existing package). So for those of us already subscribing to an HD package, shouldn't Platinum HD now be included at no additional charge?

Edit (8/13/2009): for the benefit of anyone coming to the party late:

1) As of 8/1/2009 the Platinum HD add-on for $10/month no longer exists.
2) The channels that were part of Platinum HD should now be free for any Dish Network sub, in spite of anything the Dish Network website says or Dish Network CSRs might tell you. Since you can no longer buy "Platinum HD" it is now part of the Dish Network HD package. (This is NOT JUST FOR NEW SUBSCRIBERS).
3) Anyone subscribing to any Dish Network HD package should be able to the get the former Platinum HD channels for free.
4) THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THIS MAY BE TURBOHD SUBS who did not subscribe to the Platinum HD add-on prior to 8/1/2009.

See the following posts in this thread for more info:
ttp://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2173310&postcount=10
http://www.dbstalk.c...27&postcount=36

Edited by l8er, 13 August 2009 - 03:42 PM.
Add info

-GA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

what does platinum HD include? I have D-TV so I'm just curious.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

It is those few channels that don't have SD to go with them. HD movies, MGMHD and so forth.

D* charges $5 for them, E* was charging $10 and now it is zero...

Supposedly by September it will be credited off those that already are paying for it. Time will tell of course.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   solmakou

solmakou

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

It is those few channels that don't have SD to go with them. HD movies, MGMHD and so forth.

D* charges $5 for them, E* was charging $10 and now it is zero...

Supposedly by September it will be credited off those that already are paying for it. Time will tell of course.

Where did you hear this? From what I understand it will continue to be charged to people who have had platinum HD.

#5 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Where did you hear this? From what I understand it will continue to be charged to people who have had platinum HD.

Sat guys forums. To be fair, there are as many that swear if you have it you'll still pay as there are those that say they've been told you won't. Fairly typical Dish change, mass confusion!!

They could have made this a big plus, but it seems they'd rather confuse!! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#6 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

Here's one data point. I didn't have PlatinumHD, so I phoned to add it. At first, she said it would be $10, but when I mentioned it was free for new subs, she said it wouldn't cost anything (she'd forgot about the change).

Unfortunately, I now don't have any HD channels from BronzeHD either, and they can't add it back. They are still trying to at least restore the BronzeHD I had. Might be fine with monthly Classic, by my annual Classic seems to be a problem.

#7 OFFLINE   johnteeee

johnteeee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi
Just a comment:
The "PLATINUM HD" isn't free as they increased all packages by $5 Dollars. And
of course no more Turbo Hd either.

Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

As of today (August 1st) the Dish Network website now shows Platinum HD is free with any other HD package. (And there's no place to add Platinum HD to any existing package). So for those of us already subscribing to an HD package, shouldn't Platinum HD now be included at no additional charge?

The package is just for new subs. If you had Platimum HD in the past you can't get it.:(:(:(:(

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi
Just a comment:
The "PLATINUM HD" isn't free as they increased all packages by $5 Dollars. And
of course no more Turbo Hd either.

Thanks.

They did not increase the price of the packages, they just include the prise of locals now, thats all and i am sure you can still decline it if you wish.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#10 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

The package is just for new subs ....

One phone call, one very helpful CSR, and I've got Platinium HD at no additional charge. It would appear it's not just for new subs.
-GA

#11 OFFLINE   mike1002

mike1002

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

The question is, if you are already subscribed to the AEP package and had Platinum before August 1st will they drop the charge ($10) or do you have to drop it then have it added as part of your Gold package? I don't understand if you're already a Gold subscriber why do you have to add it back in since it is now a part of the Gold package? I checked my account online and it still shows Platinum there with its $10 charge. I hope that they just zero out the charge for Platinum if you're already a Gold subscriber. It does seem unnecessarily convoluted if you have to go through all the contortions. But then Dish made you call in to get the last few HD channels that were uplinked (MAV/BET and FX HD). Why that couldn't have been done automatically I don't understand. I guess I'll just wait a little longer and see if they do the logical thing or make their customers call and keep a CSR busy.

Mike

#12 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

Nice... I have AEP + GOLD HD; I called to add Platinum HD; she added it, and my price didn't go up. Note, you can't do this on the web site, it doesn't show Platinum HD any more, only Gold on my customer service page.

Net net is I increased HD channels for nada, I can't complain!
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#13 OFFLINE   superfreddy

superfreddy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

I just updated from regular HD to platinum using chat. Took me 2 minutes. No charge

#14 OFFLINE   Ohioankev

Ohioankev

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

The question is, if you are already subscribed to the AEP package and had Platinum before August 1st will they drop the charge ($10) or do you have to drop it then have it added as part of your Gold package? I don't understand if you're already a Gold subscriber why do you have to add it back in since it is now a part of the Gold package? I checked my account online and it still shows Platinum there with its $10 charge. I hope that they just zero out the charge for Platinum if you're already a Gold subscriber. It does seem unnecessarily convoluted if you have to go through all the contortions. But then Dish made you call in to get the last few HD channels that were uplinked (MAV/BET and FX HD). Why that couldn't have been done automatically I don't understand. I guess I'll just wait a little longer and see if they do the logical thing or make their customers call and keep a CSR busy.

Mike

Yep that is the same question i'm asking and I already got my new bill for August 5th - September and I was still charged for PlatinumHD for the month of August. You'd think Dish Network billing would be able to lump all the current people paying for PlatinumHD and change the price of the package to $0.00 or something, or just change the bill where it doesn't even say Platinum HD and just write a letter saying Hi, you're now saving $10/month because we merged platinum HD into the GoldHD package. I mean if All American Direct can add distant networks to our receivers then surely dish network can do this simple task.

#15 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

Just called Dish and they said it would cost me an additional $ 10 per month. Said no thanks. I guess it will depend on which CSR you talk with. I won't play CSR roulette.

#16 OFFLINE   jsfisher

jsfisher

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

I had the same experience as superfreddy. Online chat...2 minutes...no hassles...no charge.

(Plus, since I saved the conversation in a text file, I have a record for later if any surprises occur later.)

#17 OFFLINE   solmakou

solmakou

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

The package is just for new subs. If you had Platimum HD in the past you can't get it.:(:(:(:(

Call back for and play CSR Roulette, sorry about your luck with the last agent, it should be common knowledge for the slower ones in the next few days. Also if you called this morning there serious problems with their computer systems.

#18 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

I did the live chat and got them for free, I just mentioned that others got them for free.

#19 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

One phone call, one very helpful CSR, and I've got Platinium HD at no additional charge. It would appear it's not just for new subs.

I just Emailed ceo@echostar.com and asked for Platinium HD for free. I can't use a telephone due to my disability.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#20 OFFLINE   wsuladesigner

wsuladesigner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Why call when you can do online chat? It only took a few minutes to get the free Platinum channels.

Reading these forums has saved me so much money over the years.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...