Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free Platinum HD?

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

The question is, if you are already subscribed to the AEP package and had Platinum before August 1st will they drop the charge ($10) or do you have to drop it then have it added as part of your Gold package? I don't understand if you're already a Gold subscriber why do you have to add it back in since it is now a part of the Gold package? I checked my account online and it still shows Platinum there with its $10 charge. I hope that they just zero out the charge for Platinum if you're already a Gold subscriber. It does seem unnecessarily convoluted if you have to go through all the contortions. But then Dish made you call in to get the last few HD channels that were uplinked (MAV/BET and FX HD). Why that couldn't have been done automatically I don't understand. I guess I'll just wait a little longer and see if they do the logical thing or make their customers call and keep a CSR busy.

Mike

Info on Platinum HD for existing customers that already have it.
I just went through a whole song and dance with a CSR and a Customer Loyalty and retention rep.
First the CSR understood that I was calling because new cutomers who add HD will get their tier and Platinum for only $10 a month and I am being charged $20 a month for the same (With AEP with locals). I told her I did not think it was fair. She offered me $10 off for 5 months or if I took another 2 year contract, for a year. I pointed out that if I were a new customer adding HD now I would get it for $10 more with no time limit. She agreed and said that was all she was authorized to do but could tranfer me to customer loyalty. I told her I understood and had her transfer me.
Here is where it got interesting and there was a LOT of tapdancing. The rep told me that the offer was only for a year and he would lower my bill for a year by $10 or for 2 years with a new 2 year contract. I told him I was looking at the website as we spoke and saw nothing abut it being for a year only. He kept insisting it was a limited time offer for a year. I asked him for the URL of the page where it said that and I typed it in. The 1 year offer was $20 off the price of AEP with locals, it had NOTHING to do with Platinum HD. I pointed that out to him and he changed his tune very quickly!
He then seemed to understand completely what I was talking about and told me that Platinum HD no longer exists and is being bundled with the other HD for $10. I told him I was looking at my bill online for the period starting Aug 16 and I was being billed $10 for gold HD and an additional $10 for Platinum HD. He then said that was because the bills were prepared before this went into effect but he would credit my account right now and also give my free HD for 10 months ($10 credit on my bill).
He kept apologizing at this point. He said that the next bill will show everything correctly.
I find it a bit strange that I had to point out that the 1 year time limit he ketp telling me was on the price change of Platinum HD had NOTHING to do with the HD add on at all but was the basic AEP price promo offer and only after that did he 'understand' what I was talking about. I guess he didin't expect me to be looking at the dish website as we spoke since he was a bit surprised when I started reading him what it said.
A song and dance indeed!
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

Why call when you can do online chat? It only took a few minutes to get the free Platinum channels.

Reading these forums has saved me so much money over the years.

I was in online chat twice for over an hour each time yesterday and could never get an agent. It kept saying that all available agents were busy and I would have the next one. I finally called and my call was answered right away.
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

#23 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

I just did the chat thing and the $10.00 charge has been removed. :):)

#24 OFFLINE   rvrman

rvrman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

Thanks guys.
6 minutes on chat and we are good to go!

#25 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

Called CSR and it was done in less than five minutes. He did mention that it's something that existing customers did have to ask for though, that it doesn't just happen automatically.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#26 OFFLINE   hsweiss

hsweiss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Just had this added to my account via on-line chat in less than 3 minutes. She also added 3 months of HBO and Showtime for free as well!

#27 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Called CSR and it was done in less than five minutes. He did mention that it's something that existing customers did have to ask for though, that it doesn't just happen automatically.

Just what I suspected from my experience!:mad:
Eastern Arc dish
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

#28 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

Couldn't get through via web chat. But called Dish and a CSR bumped us from the GoldHD to Platinum HD for no charge. We also were offered the 3 months free HBO package. We accepted, and I've scheduled a calendar event to cancel on Dec.Nov. 2nd if we decide not to keep it.

Thanks folks.

[corrected date: thanks coldsteel]

Edited by MrC, 03 August 2009 - 02:57 PM.

ViP 922 + ViP 722

#29 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

Couldn't get through via web chat. But called Dish and a CSR bumped us from the GoldHD to Platinum HD for no charge. We also were offered the 3 months free HBO package. We accepted, and I've scheduled a calendar event to cancel on Dec. 2nd if we decide not to keep it.

Don't you mean November 2nd?
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#30 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Don't you mean November 2nd?

My calendar shows you are correct. Brain skip as I typed the message here. Thanks for checking.
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#31 OFFLINE   garcher

garcher

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Please tell me I'm confused. I just looked at my bill and I'm being charged for the America's Everything, Gold HD ($10) and Platinum HD ($10). I looked at their website and Platinum HD was still listed -- did it go away or not?

#32 OFFLINE   solmakou

solmakou

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Please tell me I'm confused. I just looked at my bill and I'm being charged for the America's Everything, Gold HD ($10) and Platinum HD ($10). I looked at their website and Platinum HD was still listed -- did it go away or not?

You'll have to call dish and ask mate, or remove the plat/hd on the web and readd the hd, will cost $5 to downgrade on the web if i'm not mistaken.

#33 OFFLINE   bootman

bootman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

I have the Bronze HD service and had the channels added via chat for no charge.
Very quick service.

#34 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

I guess this is not for turbo HD customers?
The chat said yes, but call the 800 number. The person I talked to could not make it happen without making my bill go up $15 min.
I've got turbo bronze BTW.
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#35 OFFLINE   47HO

47HO

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

I just went thru the online chat and was told the free PlatinumHD offer is no longer available.

:confused:

#36 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

After I called Saturday, my "activity since last statement" changed to:
Posted Image
I'm guessing there are some problems in the way some people are explaining it to the CSR.

Basically, prior to August 1, 2009, subs paid a $10 HD fee (somewhere) in addition to a package fee. Prior to 8/1/09 I would have been charged an additional $10 fee for Platinum HD.

As of 8/1/09, the HD fee is apparently part of any HD programming pacakge, and Platinum HD is now included free with any other HD package. From the Dish Network website:
Posted Image

Edited by l8er, 13 August 2009 - 10:31 AM.

-GA

#37 OFFLINE   hsweiss

hsweiss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

I just went thru the online chat and was told the free PlatinumHD offer is no longer available.

:confused:

I didn't even have to ask for it... My "subject" in the chat registration was "Free Platinum HD" and when the chat lady came on, she said "Its done." It was that easy. I confirmed that the additional channels (and the free 3 months of HBO and SHO) show up on as subscribed channels in my guide. You might try again or try via the phone - tell them everyone else is getting it for free.

#38 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

what does platinum HD include? I have D-TV so I'm just curious.

Platinum HD is similar in concept to the HD Extra package from DIRECTV. It adds the following channels:

o BET Jazz HD
o Crime & Investigation HD
o Logo HD
o Fashion Television HD
o Mav TV HD
o MGM HD
o NBA HD
o NHL HD
o HDNet Movies
o Universal HD
o World Fishing Network HD

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hmmm. Well, I thought I'd look at the possibility of getting the PlatinumHD charge off my bill (I've had it since the "metal packages" came into being). The screen I now see on line is:

Posted Image

It's interesting as we're seeing confusion galore. The only turbo page I can find is here. But this is typical for Dish. Anyone have "THE MEMO" from the person in charge, or is there no person in charge.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#40 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

After I called Saturday, my "activity since last statement" changed to:
Posted Image
I'm guessing there are some problems in the way some people are explaining it to the CSR.

Basically, prior to August 1, 2009, subs paid a $10 HD enabling fee (somewhere) in addition to a package fee. Prior to 8/1/09 I would have been charged an additional $10 fee for Platinum HD.

As of 8/1/09, the HD enabling fee is apparently part of any HD programming pacakge, and Platinum HD is now included free with any other HD package. From the Dish Network website:
Posted Image

Any HD programming? Turbo HD?
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

spam firewall