Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free Platinum HD?

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

That is new, it was not on the website over the weekend!
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

More of that 'on the fly' marketing...
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#53 OFFLINE   rickaren

rickaren

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

My Post from another Site:

Yes I too was successful today in getting my present DISH package reduced $10 per month since I was paying for Gold HD and Platinum HD using the "On-Line Chat". Was very confusing since at first they said they would remove my Platinum Package per my request. Finally I have a new package called HD Gold & Platinum for $10. On my new bill just checked "On-Line it states only HD & Platinum.

I attempted to do this earlier today and listed my name with the "On-Line Chat" but they said they could not perform my request since the Account was in my Wife's name! Anyway make sure you sign in using the account holders name if it is not yours. In my second (Wife's) request I was able to add my name to the account also for the future.

They also wanted to update my DISH but don't think they know it has already been up-dated. They backed off on that, but did save me $10 per month.

Rick

Samsung HL67A750
2-Panasonic LCD TC-23LX50
1-Panasonic LCD TC-32LX50
ONKYO HT-S9100THX Receiver/Speaker Package
DirecTV HR22/AM21 W Slimline 5LNB
DISH HD VIP 622 DVR w/ Platinum programing
Onyko Blu-Ray DV-BD606
Harmony ONE Remote

My Construction of HT
http://community.web...ser/rickaren103

#54 OFFLINE   Halr

Halr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

Just added it to my Bronze package. Not often that something gets added.. Pretty happy about that. Glad to be back with DISH after a 3 year hiatus with Direct.

BTY, added through chat, took less then 5 minutes.:D
HalR

KD7DYV
Manufacturing Engineer Tc
Southern Oregon

Yes, Dear...

VIP-722k DVR
1000.2 dish

Sharp Aquos LC37D40U
Samsung 37" SD
AntennaCraft 5MS921 OTA
Acutrac22 Tracking Meter
XM Roady II and Audiovox XR9
Sirius (OE in the Car)
Surround by Onkyo :)

#55 OFFLINE   pbrown

pbrown

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

Just did the upgrade via chat here. Same as a previous poster, had it done based on the subject of the chat before I could even ask the question!
pbrown
Now I have D*!

#56 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

If they tell you that it is for new customers only, paste this into the chat. Tell them you are looking at their website and No where on there does it show "for new customers"

http://www.dishnetwo...aspx?pack=AT100

The platinum graphic is on the leftside

#57 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

If they tell you that it is for new customers only, paste this into the chat. Tell them you are looking at their website and No where on there does it show "for new customers"

The platinum graphic is on the leftside

Sorry, Dennis.

http://www.dishnetwo...hd/default.aspx

Bottom of the graphic, bullet #3.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#58 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Okay, so if converted from turbohd bronze to bronze/100 with hd, I would get all the bronze hd plus the platinum hd channels?
And this would increase my bill by how much?
Is it really worth it?
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#59 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

Okay, so if converted from turbohd bronze to bronze/100 with hd, I would get all the bronze hd plus the platinum hd channels?
And this would increase my bill by how much?
Is it really worth it?

$10 more, and you gain all the SD feeds and the missing 4 HD channels also.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#60 OFFLINE   willc

willc

Mentor

• Banned User
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

If you look at online at www. dishnetwork.com under hd programming. At the bottom of the page where it says free platinum there is a 3* small print says for new customers only. That is what I was told this morning also.

They didn't update all the pages.

And thus they should honor what they are advertising on their website. I can smell a lawsuit brewing if they don't honor what they advertise.

#61 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

If you are a current HD Platinum subscriber, go to the support on-line chat and they will remove the $10 mo. charge.

#62 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

If you are a current HD Platinum subscriber, go to the support on-line chat and they will remove the $10 mo. charge.

Nope.
DISH 625 dvr

#63 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Just did the upgrade via chat here. Same as a previous poster, had it done based on the subject of the chat before I could even ask the question!

Thanks for the idea about the chat subject. Took less then 5 min's, as the tech was already working on my programming before he joined the chat.

Side note, change your Avatar, you are on the WRONG side of the mountains for that Cougar display.

#64 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,665 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

Yes. See my post #43 above. :)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#65 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Does Charlie Care?:

This week it is possible that Dish Network lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue if not more, all due to a mistake on the Dish Network website. This mistake made the $10 a month Platinum HD add on package available for free to anyone who subscribed to a Dish HD package.

On August 1st graphics appeared on Dish Networks website that read as follows:

“Special Bonus! PlatinumHD Included FREE with any HD Package!”

We first reported about this here in The Satellite Dish on Monday and yesterday we reported that Dish updated their website to change the offer for new customers only. However last night I was contacted by a number readers notifying me that the “Free with any HD Package” wording was still on the website and is still being shown to everyone.

As I write this, it has been 5 days since the new promotion has gone online and yet the mistake remains. Nowhere in that graphic is any mention that this offer is for new customers only. Dish Network had 5 days to make the corrections to their website but have only corrected some of the pages it appears on not all of them.

Now I am not a lawyer but it my belief that Dish Network should honor what is still being advertised on their website.

Hundreds of people reported online that they were able to drop their bills down $10 a month due to this mistake online since Saturday. However some are starting to report that they are getting denied when requesting the free Platinum package.

The bottom of the page now states:

Special Bonus! HD and Platinum channels for $10/mo. 3

3 = Offer available to new customers only.

George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#66 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

Sorry, Dennis.

http://www.dishnetwo...hd/default.aspx

Bottom of the graphic, bullet #3.

That # 3 was added by dish after i posted. Now all mentions of the platinum are gone from dish's website.
see the story in post # 65 above me.

#67 OFFLINE   StewedLionII

StewedLionII

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

It's still worth trying. I just got off live chat and successfully (I hope) had them get rid of the extra charge.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to RepX.
RepX Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
Me: Certainly
RepX: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
RepX: I will help you with the issue 'Me'.
Me: Great
RepX I see that you have a good programming package Classic Gold 250 with DVR services on the account.
RepX: Not to worry 'Me'.
RepX: I will add the free Platinum HD pack for you on the account.
RepX Please give me 2-3 minutes while I add the free Platinum HD package.
Me: Thanks
RepX: Thank you for staying online.
RepX: I have added the free Platinum HD pack along with Gold HD on the account.
RepX: Your new monthly bill on the account will be $95.98 plus taxes.
RepX: Any time you make a change to your programming services, you will see a partial credit for the service(s) you removed and a partial charge for the service(s) you added up to your next billing date.
RepX: Please remember you can view and pay your bill, order PPV's and change your programming with your online account.
RepX: I hope that you are as excited as we are about your continuing service with us and hope you enjoy the lowest all-digital programming in America!
RepX: You are all set. Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?
Me: That's better, but what about the previous bills that had the charge on them...?
RepX: Let me inform you that the free Platinum HD promotion is effective from August 1st 2009.
RepX: As we bill one month in advance you will receive the prorated credit for Platinum HD pack billed on the next bill.
RepX: What else can I assist you with?
Me: Okay, thank you for your help.
RepX: You're very welcome.
RepX: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.

#68 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,665 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

Does Charlie Care?:

The bottom of the page now states:

I posted a screen shot of the new footnoted offer at Post #39 above, then subsequently had the Platinium charge taken off my account.:D

My personal opinion is that the channels in the Platinum package should have just been integrated into GoldHD and for those of us who had Platininum with other packages could have been grandfathered for the $10 a month.

:rant:
Unfortunately, I think this is a case of Darryl and his other brother Darryl screwing up the web site and then leaving the resolution of customer demands up to CSR's and supervisors while Ernestine, the head of customer service and the only one in customer service who saw THE MEMO, was on vacation.

Dish is still one of the most screwed up organizations. If the new AT&T operated this way, I'd be getting virtually every service available for my $7.28 per month minimum metered calling plan. One has to conclude from the outside that everyone in the executive suites are receiving in pay 8 times what they should while those who actually have to deal with what's going on to keep the company from going broke are getting 50% less in pay than they should.:nono2:

But what do I care, I'm getting Platinum for free as long as Dish is in business.
:rant:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#69 OFFLINE   neomaine

neomaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Started a chat session with the following:

1)Free Platinum HD, 2)1 cent Cinemax(?), 3)enable external hard drive

And got this discussion, a little wordy, took about 15 mins:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to Dish..
Dish.: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
Me: Hello, Ted.
Me: OK
Dish.: Hello ME!!
Dish.: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
Me: No problem.
Dish.: I will help you with that!
Me: Great!
Dish.: How are you doing today ME?
Me: Very good, thank you.
Dish.: Glad to hear that!
Dish.: You're very welcome.
Dish.: I have added the Annual Cinemax for a penny on your account.
Dish.: Please give me a moment while I make the other changes.
Me: Excellent. Been wanting to do that for a couple of years and never got around to it. Truthfully, was kind of skeptical too...
Me: The external hd. That's just a one time activation fee? I forget, $20?
Dish.: Please give me a moment while I perform the changes. I will let you know about the drive.
Me: OK
Dish.: Thank you.
Dish.: Our applications are running slow at this time. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. If not, I would have done everything by this time.
Me: That's ok.
Dish.: That is very kind of you!!
Dish.: I appreciate your time.
Dish.: I have added the Platinum HD.
Dish.: Once the changes are made, please allow us 10 - 15 minutes for the changes to take effect.
Me: I believe I already had Platinum HD. I was referring to the new free option so that I could have the $10 charge removed.
Dish.: Do you have the external hard drive?
Me: I don't have the drive hooked up yet.
Dish.: Yes, I have added that for free now.
Me: OK, thanks for the clarification on the PlatinumHD.
Dish.: I will go ahead and activate the external hard drive now.
Me: I should have the drive within the next couple of days. How long before I can hook it up.
Dish.: However, I would request you to hook up the external hard drive to the receiver and contact us to activate it.
Me: I can do that.
Dish.: I request you to hook up the external hard drive and chat back with us to activate it.
Me: I will. Thank you for your assistance.
Dish.: Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?
Dish.: You're very welcome.
Me: Yes, very much. Have a good day...
Dish.: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.

...but now I've knocked $10 off my bill with the free PlatinumHD, am getting Cinemax for a penny for a year (not sure if has anything I want to watch, buts its only a penny) and will be hooking up an external HD to my 622 so I save off all 6 Star Wars movies in HD (Spike) that I recorded a couple of weeks ago (and so my wife can keep 97 weeks of Dancing with the Stars... :rolleyes: )

#70 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

About 5 minutes for me to add Platinum via Chat. No hassle at all.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#71 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

Also, another dish sub did it this way......

"Instead of calling or using chat I tried adding the platinum programming using my account at the Dish website. I already have HD programming, so I had to untick the (Gold) HD addon option, then click review. The next screen showed the HD & Platinum programming as an option so I selected it and saved the changes. The platinum channels were instantly available at my house."

#72 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

Yup. Tried again. New customers only. :mad:

Tale of two different chats, with luck though outcome was the same.
When I went to the chat and did my Parents account, this morning, it was smooth.

03) DISH: Thank you for the verification provided. We appreciate your cooperation.
(03) DISH: I see that you have a very good programming package Classic Gold 250 on the account.
ME: you are helping me, so it helps if we are all patient
(03) DISH: Sure, I am with you .
ME: yes, I was told I should be getting the Platinum included, was looking at my bill, as I am on autopay and still being charged the $10 for it
ME: was hoping you could resolve the problem, as I really enjoy both Dish and the Autopay system
(03) DISH: I will fix the issue for you. The free Platinum HD package offer is available effective August 1st 2009.
(03) DISH: We appreciate your interest.
(03) DISH: I have added the free Platinum HD package as well on the account.
(03) DISH: I will help you with the new bill. Please give me a minute.
(03) DISH: Your new monthly bill on the account will be $88.98 plus taxes.
ME: Thank you, one chat, and updated email, phone and you updated my billing, you have been very helpful
(03) DISH: Any time you make a change to your programming services, you will see a partial credit for the service(s) you removed and a partial charge for the service(s) you added up to your next billing date.
(03) DISH: You're very welcome.

Five Minutes later I did My account. Was able to get it done pretty easy, but CSR 1st stated is was for ONLY new customers.

23-12-3) DISH.: Thank you for contacting Dish Network, my name is I will be happy to help you with your request today. Please allow me two minutes to access your account.
ME: no problem
(23-12-3) DISH.: I have your account open. May I have your ZIP for account verification please?
ME: 92008
(23-12-3) DISH.: Thank you.
(23-12-3) DISH.: I see you have a question about the Platinum HD charges, is that correct?
ME: I was getting ready to pay my bill and noticed I was still being charged the $10 for Platinum, which should be free with my Gold HD package
(23-12-3) DISH.: I'd be happy to assist you with that.
ME: Thank you.
(23-12-3) DISH.: The changes to the Platinum HD pricing is applicable to new customers only. Existing customers that have Platinum HD programming will not see a change in their bill.
ME: I realize the change is new,
ME: should I call in?
(23-12-3) DISH.: The website was changed two days ago to clarify the situation.
(23-12-3) DISH.: Since you have been a loyal customer for over ten years, I will apply the changes to your account.
ME: oh thank you
(23-12-3) DISH.: You're very welcome.
ME: your operator id is ? its nice when people take care of long time customers,
(23-12-3) DISH.: I have made that change for you.
ME: without the customer having to jump through hoops.
(23-12-3) DISH.: You will no longer bill charged for the Platinum Channels and they are still on your account.
(23-12-3) DISH.: Thank you for staying with Dish for so long.
ME: Thank you very much, you have solved my issue.
(23-12-3) DISH.: You're very welcome.

Edited by GrumpyBear, 05 August 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   commodore_dude

commodore_dude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

Also, another dish sub did it this way......

"Instead of calling or using chat I tried adding the platinum programming using my account at the Dish website. I already have HD programming, so I had to untick the (Gold) HD addon option, then click review. The next screen showed the HD & Platinum programming as an option so I selected it and saved the changes. The platinum channels were instantly available at my house."

Just worked for me! What you do is on the "Review" screen, click "Back" and now HD & Platinum is available to check where there was a radio button for Gold HD before.
E* wants: ESPNU HD, CSS, MLB Network, The Mtn, Gol TV, and full-time HD RSNs!

#74 OFFLINE   PDR

PDR

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

My experience was also very positive. Connected via chat quickly. Made the change to my billing without any hassle and then, without my requesting it, gave me a credit for the next three months for Showtime and HBO which I already order. In other words he gave me the advantage of the new subscriber promotion even though I am an existing subscriber to HBO and Showtime and he did this without any prompting from me.

Clearly the word has gone out to be nice to their longtime subscribers.

#75 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

As of today (August 1st) the Dish Network website now shows Platinum HD is free with any other HD package. (And there's no place to add Platinum HD to any existing package). So for those of us already subscribing to an HD package, shouldn't Platinum HD now be included at no additional charge?

PHEWY!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...