Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did DirecTV completely do away with the SWM Modules

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

This is the second time in the last few weeks where I ran across a Tech who has never seen or has any knowledge of a SWM Module (the square box which allowed for OTA and Flex Ports as well).

A couple of weeks back in Southern California, the tech claimed the SWM module which has been hanging in my parents work shop is illegal and tried to confiscate it. Just now, a tech was out at my place to realign the dish and told me he had never seen this type of set-up either and claimed my set-up was completely screwed up. Even after trying to explain that everything works just fine with the exception of low signal on the KA band, he refused to listen and walked out rescheduling my appointment for sometime next week.

Did I miss something and DirecTV drop using the SWM modules all together.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

They were never meant for residential installs and hence are never distributed to 'regular' techs.
The only techs that use it will be those who handle commercial, VIP, MDU systems.

I would temporary take out the SWM8 when the tech visits.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

SWM8 modules are not used for residential installs by Directv. Those are only used in MDU/commercial installations. Only the SWM LNB is used for residential service. Hence it is unlikely your installer would have heard/seen a SWM8 install. The one that attempted to confiscate the module was probably going under the assumption that since the SWM8 was to be used for MDU installs, it was therefore illegal in a residence.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Did I miss something and DirecTV drop using the SWM modules all together.

What DirecTV "dropped" was the test markets of the SWM5 in homes and moved on to the SWMLNB.

As Mertzen said, these were/are for commercial installs and not residential.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

SWM8 modules are not used for residential installs by Directv. Those are only used in MDU/commercial installations. Only the SWM LNB is used for residential service. Hence it is unlikely your installer would have heard/seen a SWM8 install. The one that attempted to confiscate the module was probably going under the assumption that since the SWM8 was to be used for MDU installs, it was therefore illegal in a residence.

I think you're being "too generous".
I'd tend to think more that he didn't know what it was and thought it must be something used for illegal proposes.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

What DirecTV "dropped" was the test markets of the SWM5 in homes and moved on to the SWMLNB.

As Mertzen said, these were/are for commercial installs and not residential.

I would accept that except for the fact that I know of quite a few residential customers where DirecTV has installed these SWM modules. Given they are typically not your run of the run mill every day installs but to say they are not for "residential" installs seems a stretch. Plus, you can purchase these SWM modules from a variety of sources online (including at one time someone right here on DBSTalk).

My biggest gripe here is that "techs" should be trained to at least recognize the different types of Multi-Switches and SWM equipment out there. This guy just turned and ran for the hills as soon as he saw it in the attic. He refused to align either dish and for the most part wasted my entire Saturday.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

My biggest gripe here is that "techs" should be trained...

You could probably stop here. :lol:

DirecTV has no control over the DIY installs.
While complex installs may have SWM8s in your area, this does not mean it's nationally done this way.

I know of one user with two WB616s, who called to have some splitters added [so they'd be in parallel] and the tech was so :confused: that he just added a second dish.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

I would accept that except for the fact that I know of quite a few residential customers where DirecTV has installed these SWM modules.

When DirecTV got their first batch of SWMs, which were SWM-8's and the almost immediately discontinued SWM-5's, they put them in for a couple of weeks in 3 or 4 small test markets. That was over a year ago, and was strictly limited to that short field test to validate the equipment. Once the field test was over, external SWM modules were no longer installed (outside of a relatively tiny number of exceptions) for residential installs.

The vast majority of DirecTV installers have never seen a SWM8 and wouldn't have any idea of what to do with one. Similarly, they've never seen the 6-line Ka/Ku compatible line amp (SR TA6AL), the SWM expander modules (to rack multiple SWM8 modules) and other gear intended for commercial use.

For the most part, most HSP offices don't even stock SWM8s, and would have to special-order one if needed. There may be local variations on this, but by and large the only SWM equipment DirecTV provides for residential installs is the SWM LNB (SL3-S or SL5-S) for the Slimline dish, and even those are restricted to qualifying customers.

spam firewall