Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HOA says that they cannot have Sat unless you can't see it from the street.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

I have a friend who has an HOA that says not sat dishes that are visible from the street. I am pretty sure they can't do this legally but I was wondering if someone has a link to the info so my friend can arm themselves with the proper documentation if they install a Dish that is visible.

Anyone know of a good link?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

http://www.google.co...eCBCbLJ0HUNatwg

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Basically, they can restrict location so long as it can be placed in a hidden location without restricting reception or requiring unreasonable cost burdon on a homeowner

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

I think it's member "Scooper" that has the info in his Signature line if you search out that member ID here.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

The SBCA folks have people that deal exclusivly with OTARD rights. Their OTARD flyer is attached below.

http://www.sbca.com/...iles/otard.html

OTARD Fact Sheet
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

Rules and exceptions aside, every effort should be made to be considerate of the neighborhood and conceal the dish as best as possible. I hate driving down a road and seeing dishes stuck in front yards like so many mushrooms.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Basically, they can restrict location so long as it can be placed in a hidden location without restricting reception or requiring unreasonable cost burdon on a homeowner

Key words - "without restricting reception or requiring unreasonable cost burden on a homeowner"

Same conditions apply to an OTA antenna as well as a dish. And the HOA is NOT the final authority on what is the minimum conditions necessary for reception.

That said - I'd try to accomodate - but I wouldn't bend over backwards to do so either.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:32 AM

Rules and exceptions aside, every effort should be made to be considerate of the neighborhood and conceal the dish as best as possible. I hate driving down a road and seeing dishes stuck in front yards like so many mushrooms.

Perhaps you should keep your eyes on the road and pay attention to driving rather than eyeball people's houses. If you own a house and pay taxes on a house, you have every right to do whatever you please so long as you're not endangering anyone or doing anything illegal. I cannot stand the whole notion of HOAs. No ones going to tell me I have to hide my property that is located on my property.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#9 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,001 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

Perhaps you should keep your eyes on the road and pay attention to driving rather than eyeball people's houses. If you own a house and pay taxes on a house, you have every right to do whatever you please so long as you're not endangering anyone or doing anything illegal. I cannot stand the whole notion of HOAs. No ones going to tell me I have to hide my property that is located on my property.

True, but if it were me, I'd still try to hide it. If a thief has a brain, nothing advertises "high end" electronics like particular dishes. It's like advertising you have at least one HDTV.

#10 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the info.. Very helpful. I will pass along the advice. I totally agree about being considerate and that is how the HOA should position themselves. Do to Line of Sight issues sometimes the only way to get reception is for it to be visible.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#11 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

It all depends on how it is presented - local HOA comes up and tells me I can't have dishes/ OTA antenna and their word is law and I'll tell them up yours and here's a copy of the OTARD and get the hell off my property in perpetuity. They come up and say they understand I have the right to OTA reception devices, and they want to work with me about putting them out of sight (but still useable) - I'll work with them.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#12 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

True, but if it were me, I'd still try to hide it. If a thief has a brain, nothing advertises "high end" electronics like particular dishes. It's like advertising you have at least one HDTV.

Buy signs.

Beware of Dog
Insured by Smith & Wesson :D

#13 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

Considering there's about 30 million dishes on roofs across the country, give or take and there's has been no serial burglaries reported of houses with satellite dishes on them, I'd say there's very little to worry about. The average thief could drive up and down various roads at night and look for the glow of TVs in through the window to see which houses have the biggest and most high end TVs. Much more practical then studying the type of satellite dish they have. Or if you drive a high end vehicle, someone could see you pull in and out of your driveway, drive by a few times to know your coming and going habits and figure if you can afford such a nice car, you're able to afford other nice things. I suppose anything's possible, but that is really a stretch to pick and choose houses to rob based on satellite dish type. Hell I have three DBS dishes on my roof right now, that must make me a huge target, but all any thief has to do is look and see none of them are connected to anything and they can walk away. :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#14 OFFLINE   wolfjc

wolfjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

It all depends on how it is presented - local HOA comes up and tells me I can't have dishes/ OTA antenna and their word is law and I'll tell them up yours and here's a copy of the OTARD and get the hell off my property in perpetuity. They come up and say they understand I have the right to OTA reception devices, and they want to work with me about putting them out of sight (but still useable) - I'll work with them.

In my HOA when they put on a new roof they said they wanted all the dishes on the back of each unit so I did because all I wanted was LOS and I did not care where the dish was at on the roof. However now any one driving down the driveway can see who has a dish and who does not have a dish.
Before where we all had our dishes you had to walk up the walk and had look for them.
That is how our a-hole of a president made that one work I sure hope he is happy.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

I live on a corner lot... so it'd be all but impossible for me to have chosen a location on my roof not in plain site from one of the two roads that pass by. It is partially hidden by the change in slope of the roof over the garage portion, though... but line-of-sight was my main concern.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#16 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Only to dumb thieves. You see more dishes in the low-rent districts, at least in Southern NH. In single-family home neighborhoods, you'll see less than half as many dishes as you will in more crime ridden areas.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...