Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stuttering playback??

xm sirius

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Anyone else having a lot of stuttering playback issues? I recorded a baseball game last night that was doing the stuttering constantly when I played it back. I know it is not the recording itself, as I have been able to rewind and watch some sections without the stutters after those same sections had the stutters the first time through. I have had this stuttering playback issue with more than 50% of my recordings in the past 2 weeks. Rebooting has helped in the past, but the issue returns fairly quickly. Is there any way to correct this without having to reboot the receiver? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Now I am having the stuttering problem with live TV as well as with recordings. I would really love to know if others are having this problem, or if it is an issue with the machine. HR20-700, 28% available recording space. Thanks.

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

No,
I'm not with my HR20-700s, "but" I'm also only around 20% "used".

I did have a "patch" with problems kind of like this and used the receiver disk utilities [press select during the boot up "self test"] to scan the disk [since mine is over 2 years old] which seemed to have helped.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

No,

I did have a "patch" with problems kind of like this and used the receiver disk utilities [press select during the boot up "self test"] to scan the disk [since mine is over 2 years old] which seemed to have helped.

Does running this patch allow you to keep all of your settings and recordings? (It's not like a total reset, is it?) Thanks.

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

Does running this patch allow you to keep all of your settings and recordings? (It's not like a total reset, is it?) Thanks.

By "patch" I meant "time", not a software "patch".
"I ran into a patch [or batch] of this".
The disk utilities were "non-destructive" to my files.
When they were done, they didn't report anything [other than complete]. Some have seen an error code, which may be due to bad hardware.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

By "patch" I meant "time", not a software "patch".
"I ran into a patch [or batch] of this".
The disk utilities were "non-destructive" to my files.
When they were done, they didn't report anything [other than complete]. Some have seen an error code, which may be due to bad hardware.

I understand, thanks. I will try that on my next reboot.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:48 AM

Anyone else having a lot of stuttering playback issues? I recorded a baseball game last night that was doing the stuttering constantly when I played it back. I know it is not the recording itself, as I have been able to rewind and watch some sections without the stutters after those same sections had the stutters the first time through. I have had this stuttering playback issue with more than 50% of my recordings in the past 2 weeks. Rebooting has helped in the past, but the issue returns fairly quickly. Is there any way to correct this without having to reboot the receiver? Thanks.

I get that occasionally, especially on the Yes Network. A backward click clears it right up. For a while, it only happened when Hideki Matsui was at bat. Puzzling, but amusing. I was really happy when it happened when he wasn't in the picture. The things that happen on the Yes Network don't seem to happen on other channels.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

No,

I had a power outage this morning due to a storm, so I took the opportunity to try to run the disk utilities as you described. I pressed select while the self test screen was up, but I didn't see anything different happen, and I did not receive any kind of report at the end. Did I maybe not hold the button down long enough?

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

I had a power outage this morning due to a storm, so I took the opportunity to try to run the disk utilities as you described. I pressed select while the self test screen was up, but I didn't see anything different happen, and I did not receive any kind of report at the end. Did I maybe not hold the button down long enough?

I think you need to press the select on the front panel [not the remote].

Here is a thread I started about this: http://www.dbstalk.c...539#post2102539
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

I think you need to press the select on the front panel [not the remote].

Here is a thread I started about this: http://www.dbstalk.c...539#post2102539

I just read your post from that link. Did it stop the chattering? T_h told me that chattering noise was the hard drive ''seeking'' something or other.

Rich

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

I just read your post from that link. Did it stop the chattering? T_h told me that chattering noise was the hard drive ''seeking'' something or other.

Rich

Stuttering playback was my main focus, which during some of this I heard a lot of chatter.

Since doing these tests, chatter is much less, though not "gone" and playback hasn't had the problems.

I never hear chatter on my HR21 [WD] and my HR20 [Seagate] sounds like a Seagate (:lol:).
[Ever used one of their SCSI ultra-wide? They sound like a machine gun.]
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Stuttering playback was my main focus, which during some of this I heard a lot of chatter.

Since doing these tests, chatter is much less, though not "gone" and playback hasn't had the problems.

I never hear chatter on my HR21 [WD] and my HR20 [Seagate] sounds like a Seagate (:lol:).
[Ever used one of their SCSI ultra-wide? They sound like a machine gun.]

No, I never hear anything on my HRs. Silent, as opposed to the TiVos, which constantly made that "seeking" noise. I even had a couple that sounded like crickets. I actually had the bug spray out one day and my wife said it sounds like the TiVos. By the time she opened her mouth, I was so frustrated I didn't know what to do, thought of spraying her :lol:. But she was right and it was the TiVos.

I don't remember what brand the TiVo's HDDs were, but they were so noisy. I was glad to finally deactivate the last one. No more ersatz crickets. :lol:

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   RobertY

RobertY

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I have that problem i`m using eagle aspen lnb going to try WNC.:mad:

#14 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

I'm experiencing this issue as well. What's confusing about my issue, however, is that my stuttering happens everywhere, even on the full screen menus (albeit it's very hard to detect, but there nonetheless). It's like the picture is periodically hitching or glitching.

My Blu-Ray plays fine, so I know it's not the TV.

I have an HR22 with a DirectV recommended 1 TB Seagate drive. I rebooted a week ago and the issue went away (so did all of my recordings, unfortunately, but I didn't have much), however, now it's back.

The receiver is acting sluggish as well as channel changes and menu commands are slower than normal.

Edit: it's network connected as well, but I haven't done any type of troubleshooting other than the aforementioned reboot.

#15 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm running 405.1.3 (Long Test) and it's taking forever: 35% complete at 90 minutes.

This is on the Seagate ST31000SCA109-RK (1 TB).

Is this a bad sign considering how long it's taking versus the 90 minute estimated time to complete?

I'm afraid to think how long the surface check will take and this HD is only two or three weeks old.

Thanks in advance for those more knowledgeable with these things as I'm not.

#16 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

I'm running 405.1.3 (Long Test) and it's taking forever: 35% complete at 90 minutes.

This is on the Seagate ST31000SCA109-RK (1 TB).

Is this a bad sign considering how long it's taking versus the 90 minute estimated time to complete?

I'm afraid to think how long the surface check will take and this HD is only two or three weeks old.

Thanks in advance for those more knowledgeable with these things as I'm not.

I wouldn't start worrying quite yet.
90 mins is for the "stock drive", and I'd bet the software doesn't compensate for your "3x" larger drive.
Kind of looks like it'll be doing that for 4.5 hours.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thanks. I'll let it go and cross my fingers.

I'm actually hoping it's a HD problem as this one is brand new and I can get a full refund or replacement.

#18 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

Thanks. I'll let it go and cross my fingers.

I'm actually hoping it's a HD problem as this one is brand new and I can get a full refund or replacement.

I've had a lot of luck with Seagate. Their warranty for PC drives is 5 years. I had one in an array that was giving me trouble. By itself, it passed all of the SeaTool's tests. After pulling my hair out for way too long [changed everything else], I finally sent it back to Seagate and they replaced it for free.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

Well, after hours of testing with the utilities and having passed them all, the stuttering was still there. Even worse, live TV would now completely freeze at times.

All of my recordings were gone again after the reset as well :(. Not sure if this is normal or just another bad sign of faulty hardware?

I went back to my internal HD and it plays fine. I guess I got a bad drive? I ordered the recommended Western Digital one last night and I'm going to send back the Seagate.

Anyone else have any problems with the recommended Western Digital and the HR22-100? I know the HR22 isn't exactly desireable from reading posts here, but that's what they sent me.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

I've had a lot of luck with Seagate. Their warranty for PC drives is 5 years. I had one in an array that was giving me trouble. By itself, it passed all of the SeaTool's tests. After pulling my hair out for way too long [changed everything else], I finally sent it back to Seagate and they replaced it for free.

That Showcase model only has a one year warranty. I talked to the folks at Seagate yesterday and they do not have a list of eSATAs that are recommended for any DVRs. Spent an hour on the phone with them and they said that the page on D*'s website with the recommended eSATAs is D*'s choice, not theirs. I've searched Seagate's website and cannot find any list of recommended eSATAs for specific DVRs. They do mention several drives that will/should work with DVRs.

I did notice today that D* changed the eSATA page and no longer have the satellite providers that are recommended. That once said "Dish and Pace". The page does say that the 22-100 will work with the Showcase models.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...