Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead (Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Well, I finally got to watch it last night and was impressed. Considering they had to start a new relationship for the Doctor (again), they managed to fit it in pretty well into one 1 hour 15 minute show.

I thought the show was quite entertaining, although there were a couple of slow parts. I'll continue in the next post to avoid spoilers in the pop-up previews...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

Spoiler

The preview for the next Doctor Who movie also looked pretty good. It seemed to fall along the lines of this one, but appeared to have a much darker mood.

- Merg

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

Just thought I'd throw this in here... Apparently, the remaining TV schedule for Dcotor Who Season 4 shows the following for airing on BBC:

The Waters of Mars - 11/14/2009
The End of Time - 12/25/2009
Untitiled - 01/01/2010

Spoiler

I guess from the typical lag of BBC to BBCA, the shows will probably air about 3 months later here in the U.S. They are also currently filming Season 5.

- Merg

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,718 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

I missed the BBC-A airing so will get this on Netflix ... Looking forward to it!

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

I missed the BBC-A airing so will get this on Netflix ... Looking forward to it!

Ya know they have something nowadays called a VCR! :lol:

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   want2cbetter

want2cbetter

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

You can usually pick these up on i-tunes also. That's how I got the Two Doctors episode (last Christmas special).

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

Just thought I'd throw this in here... Apparently, the remaining TV schedule for Dcotor Who Season 4 shows the following for airing on BBC:

The Waters of Mars - 11/14/2009
The End of Time - 12/25/2009
Untitiled - 01/01/2010

Hmmm... With Torchwood they aired only a week after the BBC... so maybe they will shorten the gap a bit?

If not... I would expect to see Waters of Mars maybe in December or January... then the other 2 specials held until just before they start running series 5 here in the US.

SciFi used to air the previous season X-mas special the week before starting the next series... and the last couple of years SciFi was airing them about a month or two behind the BBC airing.

Those dates make me curious about something else as well.

In the past we got X-Mas + next series in a DVD box set. This year no season, so lots of single releases. I have "Next Doctor" and "Planet of the Dead" on order.

I figured "Waters of Mars" would also see a single...

Based on those last 2 dates and the 2-part nature I had gathered of that story... I'm now wondering if those will be included on the Series 5 box set or if instead those might be released as a 2-disc set.

Either way I"m looking forward to Blu-ray releases from now on (minus the "Next Doctor" DVD of course as the final SD-shot Dr Who).

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Ya know they have something nowadays called a VCR! :lol:

- Merg

What is that? Some kind of new invention?....... :D

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

I got it via Netflix because I refuse to watch the crappy SD on BBCA. The DVD also has an hour behind the scenes which is pretty interesting.

Anyway, it was good. Was a bit darker which I like (like Blink).

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hmmm... With Torchwood they aired only a week after the BBC... so maybe they will shorten the gap a bit?

If not... I would expect to see Waters of Mars maybe in December or January... then the other 2 specials held until just before they start running series 5 here in the US.

SciFi used to air the previous season X-mas special the week before starting the next series... and the last couple of years SciFi was airing them about a month or two behind the BBC airing.

Those dates make me curious about something else as well.

In the past we got X-Mas + next series in a DVD box set. This year no season, so lots of single releases. I have "Next Doctor" and "Planet of the Dead" on order.

I figured "Waters of Mars" would also see a single...

Based on those last 2 dates and the 2-part nature I had gathered of that story... I'm now wondering if those will be included on the Series 5 box set or if instead those might be released as a 2-disc set.

Either way I"m looking forward to Blu-ray releases from now on (minus the "Next Doctor" DVD of course as the final SD-shot Dr Who).

Well, according to IMDB, all of these special episodes are considered to be a part of Season 4,

Spoiler

I was just basing my expected air dates according to how BBCA has aired the recent episodes compared to their OAR dates. In both cases (Two Doctors, Planet of the Dead), they aired about 4 months later on BBCA.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

They mentioned at Comicon that BBCA will be getting these a lot quicker, usually a week or two after BBC. Main reason is because so many people are using bit torrent to see them so they might as well just get it on BBCA as quickly as they can.

#12 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,718 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

I got it via Netflix because I refuse to watch the crappy SD on BBCA. The DVD also has an hour behind the scenes which is pretty interesting.

Anyway, it was good. Was a bit darker which I like (like Blink).

Ooooh ... Blink! One of my favorite Doctor Who episodes.... Right up there with Midnight. Light and breezy is great, but the occasional "dark" episode really can be very satisfying. Now I'm looking forward even more to what will be coming in the mail from Netflix this week. :)

Edit: And I just noticed from Wiki searches on these two episodes, each was the 10th episode of their respective series. How eerie ... ;)

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Well, according to IMDB, all of these special episodes are considered to be a part of Season 4,

IMDB has that part wrong, at least... since Series 4 was already released last year as a complete box set.

As far as I've heard from the BBC... this year is simply a series of one-shot specials... and next year is series 5... so there's no retro-lumping of this year into last year.

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

As far as I've heard from the BBC... this year is simply a series of one-shot specials... and next year is series 5...

Maybe that's why IMDB is listing them as Season 4, since they keep saying this is not Season 5...

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

Maybe that's why IMDB is listing them as Season 4, since they keep saying this is not Season 5...

- Merg

That'd be my best guess too...

I suppose by the end of the year BBC might bundle this year's specials into a release... only time will tell.

#16 OFFLINE   DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

IMDB has that part wrong, at least... since Series 4 was already released last year as a complete box set.

As far as I've heard from the BBC... this year is simply a series of one-shot specials... and next year is series 5... so there's no retro-lumping of this year into last year.

- Merg

Maybe a little column A, some of column B...
All of these specials are using Series 4 Production codes. Journey's End had been ep 4.13, then the specials pick up at 4.14 (The Next Doctor) thru 4.18 (TBA). So though not technically a part of Series 4, I guess you could call them Series 4.5?
HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 42" 1080p LCD
HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 26" 1080i LCD
Linksys 80211N Wireless Router
Linksys WGA600N Wireless Gaming Adapter for DOD & MRV
DOD/MRV & MediaShare w/ WMP11 & Vista Home Premium working just fine.
R15-300 w/ S-Video & RCA Audio

I do not give out proprietary information. All opinions expressed within this forum or in PM are exclusively mine and are not necessarily the opinions of any satellite provider.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...