Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Vip612 Problem with HDCP and HDMI

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rogernet

Rogernet

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hi...I need to vent a little...and finally joined this forum today. I would appreciate any help on this issue...can't believe I am the only one with this problem....

Current Setup: Sony HDTV...New Bravia Model KDL52W4100 - installed 12/08
Reciever... Dish Network Vip612 Current Firmware: L603
Interface: HDMI cable from Vip612 to Sony HDMI port 4

Problem: No problems until sometime after 7/14/09. I was able to
Order any PPV movies and DVR them. Second reciever
is a Vip211...again no problem ordering and viewing PPV,
HBO or anything else. Then last week 7/29/09, I go to
order a PPV movie...then a Dish Error message 890 comes
out of nowhere...saying the Vip612 has determined that my
new SONY which was working fine...is not HDMI/HDCP
compatible anymore Tried resets....unplugged
everything...different portssame problem. Tried different
HDMI cables

The last few days I have spoke to both SONY and Dish. The SONY tech said that all their HDTVs are HDCP compliant....they don't even have any
menu switch to turn it off. Their only solutions: try the cold start on the receiver with the plug out and if that doesn't work go to Component green/blue/red inputs....still no luck. I called Dish twice....finally got to talk to a second level tech.....they had me check some hard drive values and we got a 17 on #4 and a -2 on #7 which he didn't like....so he sent me a new Vip612 which I got Friday and installed and activitated myself....still same problem.....called them back and had them dispatch a tech installer who came today....they verified I had a good install and they also encountered the same HDCP 890 error message when we tried to order a PPV. He called DISH for a solution/workaround. We went back to the Component GBR connection...but this time, we pulled out the HDMI cable to the SONY...and guess what? We could now order a PPV like I used to be able two weeks ago with the HDMI setup. We even tested the Vip211 on this setup to be sure the HDMI cables were good....So clearly the firmware Vip612 version L603 was updated and downloaded sometime over the past two weeks at the 3:00 a.m. timeframe and some type of new bug came with it....has to be it....The Dish Installer said that DISH would check this out and send me an "email" by next Wednesday on status...but for now, the only way I can order and see a movie on my Vip612 is Component GBR with HDMI cable out of the receiver.....a very awkward workaround for the $$ I pay DISH to rent this piece of junk.

This really sucks! I am very upset with DISH and the dummies who invented the worthless HDCP with HDMI. I have been a loyal Dish Network customer since 1997 and have spent a lot of $$ over the years with them...I guess I'm going to have to consider cable if I want this type of entertainment or just turn the damn thing off....

Has anyone else encountered this problem recently? (Mar-August, 2009) I would like to hear from you...thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Maxfli500

Maxfli500

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

I have something very similar going on my 622. PPV has always worked Fine, now I get the HDCP error. Will have to see if works with the HDMI pulled.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

I wonder which end truly has the problem... the Dish receiver, the TV, or if it is just another of the handshaking glitches with HDMI.

I don't have my 622 hooked to an HDTV... My 722 is, via HDMI, and I haven't had any problems and I'm sure I've ordered at least one PPV recently because when I got my new HDTV recently I wanted to test the 24p PPV movie.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   ret44k2

ret44k2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

I have the same DVR and the same model TV only 46" with exactly the same problem - Dish has informed me that on 7/29 they activated HDCP and that it should not bother with new equipment and HDMI cables.
Hav emade a couple of calls to Dish without success but am still trying - I am NOT going back to component cables. Will advise when have more info - just know your not alone

#5 OFFLINE   Rogernet

Rogernet

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

It's a week later from my initial vent....and here's a status update....DISH never called me back or sent me an email....which didn't surprise me. The problem is still there. I called them yesterday, 8/7, and was told by the help desk....they are still "looking into the matter". I also called the DISH installer manager (don-Lors electronics) out of Livonia, Michigan...to confirm they also felt the problem was not hardware and spoke to their senior tech who has been there for 10 years. He said this type of problem is common with DISH....something will show up overnight......then disappear just as suddenly weeks or months later...with no notice from DISH. It hurts their business to dispatch techs needlessly to confirm that it isn't a hardware problem, and they are frustrated too. The only other interesting fact I discovered this week....while I still cannot order PPV via HDMI with this 890 problem, I can order VOD (Video on Demand) Channel 501, but maybe that makes sense, since you are renting a movie for 24 hours, and cannot DVR VODs...thanks to those who have responded this week.:rolleyes:

#6 OFFLINE   des627

des627

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

MY FIRST POST!

I too had the same issue with a SANYO 42" model. I called both Dishnetwork and Sanyo. Sanyo told me they were not going to be upgrading their units nor did they have any plans to install HDCP compliance into their tvs. That sealed the deal for me. Luckily I was in my time period to return the TV to Walmart. I traded up to a Vizio after some research on the units available with HDCP. I got the Vizio VO420E (sub $700 unit). It has 3 HDMI ports that are all HDCP compliant.

I got it home and installed and no more error message. In fact I also used to get a 1-2 second black delay when I would skip forward/backward on recorded events. That too is gone. But now I have a new problem.

I downloaded a HD movie and an HD on demand tv show. both downloaded fine, but the screen is black and no audio. I can pause, skip, whatever, even get show info but no video/audio. I am perplexed. I have not called Dishnetwork yet. And I know my HDMI cable is good, because everything else works fine, I can play regular HD content and as well as on demand (non-HD) television shows. Just nothing with the HD ondemand has video or audio.
If anyone else has experienced this then please tell me if you have got a fix for it.

Thanks,
David

#7 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

You may have downloaded a 1080P/24 movie and your display can't handle 1080P/24.
Just a guess

#8 OFFLINE   des627

des627

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Okay, so I was reading somewhere online about similar issues on a Comcast box. I figured I can atleast try this. It said that you should connect your Component cable, then disconnect your HDMI. Restart the Receiver, and start your movie. If you see the movie, then simply unplug the component and plug in your HDMI cable. It will now play. I tried this and would you believe it I can watch and hear the movies and shows without problem. BUT... I am not happy with this solution. It is a fix, I can live with till Dish gets the problem fixed. I have to do that cable switching each time that I want to play a new downloaded movie. I plan to communicate this with Dish Network and see what they say. I will try and talk to someone up the chain so it is actually looked at and not just logged in the computer as a work around. I think that most of the cable/sat companies are having problems with this HDCP, but I guess we will see.

#9 OFFLINE   mattcar

mattcar

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

I have the exact same television and problem. please post if you find an answer, i'll do the same

#10 OFFLINE   tsanders3

tsanders3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

There is a new software update out for the VIP612. I have not got it yet but I wonder if it fixes this issue?

#11 OFFLINE   Rogernet

Rogernet

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

Since I started this thread, I thought I've give you a two month "progress" update on my problem which started on 7/29/09. Still nothing from Dish....they won't admit anything....that they are using an old or buggy version of HDCP software protocol. The only thing I've noticed in the past two weeks is that the problem is now worse. I used to be able to get the VOD channels 501 movies with my HDMI cable on my new SONY BRAVIA, without the HDCP message "890" message. About 2 weeks ago, I started to get the 890 message and no movies with going back to Component RGB cables. So no PPVs at all now with HDMI technology. Like many of you that have commented on this problem, I refuse to go to "old technology" RGB to see movies, I used to see with HDMI before their VIP612 software change in July.
I just won't order any PPVs anymore....Now if everyone would just do this, I think, they might lose just enough revenue so they might finally find somebody who knows something about HDCP protocol and implement the right one for us. Thanks for your comments and tips...nice to know I'm not alone....

#12 OFFLINE   Rogernet

Rogernet

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

It's now 11/22, almost 4 months since I first reported this problem to DISH on 7/29/09......I was hoping that the HDCP problem would end with the upgrade of the VIP612 firmware to L606 recently ......However, I still get the 890 error message when I try to order PPV or VOD movies. No call backs or help from DISH.....I have given up on them almost completely now.....I even sent a polite note to DISH CEO Charlie Ergen(ceoofdishnetwork@dishnetwork.com) and not even a reply return note.....My DISH VIP612 still thinks my new SONY Bravia does not support HDCP protocol which is absolutely not true per SONY. The only good news is that I've saved a sizeable chunck of dollars by refusing to order any movies from DISH...It's almost cheaper to wait and get the movies I want to keep from discount video stores. Again I will not use RGB component video cables as des627 suggests, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. I am staying with my HDMI cable period....

I did note that my other (non-DVR) receiver a VIP211 is designated as primary receiver and the VIP612 is secondary when I logon to get my setup on my Dish Account. The older TV on that receiver is definitely not HDCP since we only use it for SD. I doubt this would make any difference, but for those of you with this same problem....let me know if you have another receiver in your setup which is designated primary but not an HDTV.

Also, I am curious if anyone knows how to reset the VIP612 HDCP bit externally once it has been flagged for the 890 error. Thanks again to all.

#13 OFFLINE   samsmith

samsmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

The Bravia actually does support HDCP, this is actually a problem with dish receivers, The workaround is to disconnect the HDMI or DVI cable completely and use YPrPb instead. I was told that this fix requires a software update which should be done very soon.

#14 OFFLINE   dragon342

dragon342

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

The Bravia actually does support HDCP, this is actually a problem with dish receivers, The workaround is to disconnect the HDMI or DVI cable completely and use YPrPb instead. I was told that this fix requires a software update which should be done very soon.

Is it for all vip series rcvrs??

#15 OFFLINE   samsmith

samsmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Is it for all vip series rcvrs??

Yes!!

#16 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

No problems with my 211K with EHD on a Sony Bravia.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#17 OFFLINE   samsmith

samsmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

No problems with my 211K with EHD on a Sony Bravia.

May not be always, But at times

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

Never!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#19 OFFLINE   Jpriest007

Jpriest007

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

I have a Sony KDL-40Z5100, I have it hooked up with a Monster Cable HDMI, the best one you could buy at Best buy. I got the TV in the first week of July. I got Dish around the second week. To replace over priced cable, never could afford PPV from cable company. So I thought Dish would be better. And it was at first, the first PPV movie worked great. I did not try to order any more till about the end of the month due time constraints. When I did I got the message that either my TV or the connection to it was not HDCP compliant. Called Dish got someone that spoke English as a third language. Took almost 15 minutes to get some one that spoke English they then asked for the type of TV I had. When I told them the model they said they had alot of problems with this model. Then told me there was nothing they could do and then hung up. Called back later again got non-English speaking person. They transferred me to another.They asked for TV model I told them a phony number, they then said "Oh yes that is the model we have the most trouble with." When I told them that was a phony number they said I was lying because they were looking at it online. The model number I gave them was HEL-Pkkkk. So all I know is that I can't order PPV, VOD and that Dish staffs their call center with Non-English speaking third world people.:mad:
I have the Vip612

#20 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

So, did you try any trouble shooting? Probably not a good idea to lie to the people you're calling for help.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

Protected By... spam firewall...And...