Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Future of TV Program Delivery

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Needless to say, there are probably some folks on the TiVo forums that disagree with the pronouncement about DVRs. I think a lot of folks will indeed still prefer to be able to skip commercials, a capability that could be taken away if the programming is being streamed, either from a centralized DVR (something Cablevision is working on) or via Internet video delivery. I think that aspect could go either way, and with the other obstacles for Internet video delivery that folks outlined, I am even more convinced that he's off the mark there. However, he's paid to be right, so who knows?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Odd, what the analyst said. Oh, that's right, he works for CBS, the network that has no cable channels.

IMHO reality is that cable/telcom companies which offer internet and TV access are in a position to control what happens and broadcast stations aren't in that future unless the FCC continues to enforce carriage or unless or until the broadcast industry quits whining and begins its own innovation.

For instance, right now the local station owners could be broadcasting on a digital subchannel USA or Syfy or Bravo and selling local advertising. NBCU could help them make that happen.

I'm sorry CBS, but I don't see broadcast stations or networks making it on the web. And the national broadcast networks ought to give serious consideration to offering one regional feed to cable and satellite for each time zone bypassing the local stations altogether.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

Odd, what the analyst said. Oh, that's right, he works for CBS, the network that has no cable channels.

Well, except for Showtime, The Movie Channel and Flix.

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

Well, except for Showtime, The Movie Channel and Flix.

Unfortunately, the Showtime group of channels are "premiums", albeit cable premium channels. I suppose CBS could attempt to use some elements to create an advertising based channel like USA or Bravo.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#25 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,709 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

(Technically not a modem but an acoustic coupler!)

Acoustic couplers were every bit a modem!

The difference was the method used to interface to the PSTN. Acoustic couplers used a microphone and speaker pair to avoid a direct electrical connection but it wasn't really much different than using opto-isolators as they do now.

Like the early Vicmodem 1600 for the Vic 20 and Commodore 64, acoustic couplers didn't have the ability to automatically dial and that's a big reason why they disappeared so quickly. At the time acoustic couplers had the advantage that you didn't have to "break out" your phone wiring to use them as you did with a wired modem.

Many acoustic coupler modems were only 110 baud.

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

We first paid big bucks for a blazing fast 300bps Tandy 1B:

Posted Image

Took longer to download a page of text than it does to download a small video today.

My AV Setup

#27 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm sorry CBS, but I don't see broadcast stations or networks making it on the web.

That's sort of the point... who needs 100+ dedicated cable networks when you can have one HULU for all your TV show needs? When you look at the typical cable channel how much of it's programming is original/new? 30%?

Yeah... when every city had a newspaper, a post office, a locally-owned hardware store, etc. etc. etc.

The post office has been hit hard with a drop in volume. They blame online bill-pay and email, etc. And who wants to spend almost half a buck to mail a christmas card? They're looking at closing a bunch of offices and eliminating a day of delivery.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#28 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

One of the advantages of 300bps, though, was I could read messages at the speed at which they downloaded. Once I got to 1200bps, I couldn't read that fast... so I had to pause the screen on the old-style BBS to keep stuff from scrolling off before I got to read it!

My first modem wasn't even a traditional modem...

We had a TRS-80 Color Computer... and there was a hack someone had came up with to modify a speakerphone to interface with the cassette port! So one person did a "save" to "cassette" and the other person did a "load" from "cassette" on the other end to send files across the phone line via the speakerphone hack.

It was actually pretty cool.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#29 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:33 AM

Unfortunately, the Showtime group of channels are "premiums", albeit cable premium channels. I suppose CBS could attempt to use some elements to create an advertising based channel like USA or Bravo.

I think, if the need arises, CBS could reacquire Spike perhaps, or some other channel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...