Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Firefox 3.5 problems????

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

It sounds like something did not go right with the latest update. The next step I would suggest is backup your bookmarks, uninstall FF, find the directory and delete anything that might have been left behind. You also might want to try running something like CCleaner to clean up anything left behind and try a re-install.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

The left image shows memory usage using Firefox, the right using IE. In the same time I was able to load MANY pages in IE and only 3-4 in FF.

Posted Image Posted Image
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#28 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,531 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

Disabled everything and it's worse.

Well, then enable them and add a bunch more add-ons.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#29 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the help. I added the whole internet and it just flies now. ;)

#30 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Where do I find my bookmarks so that I can save them?

#31 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

Organize Bookmarks. Under the Bookmarks tab.

Looking at the graph it looks like something is sucking up the CPU....

I just did a complete clean load of www.yahoo.com on my box and it spikes to 15% and the page loads in less than 2 seconds.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#32 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

Well, I saved the bookmarks, uninstalled, reinstalled, reloaded bookmarks and it still bogs down. I then uninstalled, reinstalled, didn't add ANYTHING, and it still bogs down. Looks like I'm stuck with IE. :(

#33 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Richard - Try launching Firefox 3.5.2 in Safe Mode. The link will be on your start menu under the Mozilla Firefox menu. I believe this will even temporarily disable extensions (such as PDF plugins, Flash player plugins, etc.) See if this helps in any way... If not, I'd say you have to uninstall FF and reinstall...

#34 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,416 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

I don't use my PC as much anymore... and it is already slower than my mac so it's harder to notice these kinds of problems there.

On my much faster iMac, they show up and are easy to spot when it is semi-locked up. I suspected the same thing (the CPU spiking) as I've seen that before with older Firefox versions... it's just been a while.

I only have a few plug-ins too...and it doesn't seem to make a difference for me either.

I'd have to go back and look, but I think 3.5.2 might actually be a beta release (at least that's what I remember seeing a note last time my Firefox updated)... and if so, that might explain the bugginess.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#35 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

I'd have to go back and look, but I think 3.5.2 might actually be a beta release (at least that's what I remember seeing a note last time my Firefox updated)... and if so, that might explain the bugginess.

Nope... 3.5.2 is mainstream since a couple of days ago (it is new).

But 3.5.x has had memory leaks for me BIG TIME... :(

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#36 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both 3.5.2 and went back to 3.1.3 (I think) and now the old versions are doing the same. It appears that my downloading and installing 3.5.2 had done something that effects all versions of FF. I just downloaded it today and the problems started immediately after downloading. Posted using IE 8.0, a browser that works. :(

#37 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

I just did another uninstall, reboot, reinstall and it froze for about 20 seconds on the screen below.

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Nope... 3.5.2 is mainstream since a couple of days ago (it is new).

But 3.5.x has had memory leaks for me BIG TIME... :(

This must be plug in related.... I have had 3.5 and run it all day during work and I use it a lot and have not seen anything that I would describe as a huge memory leak. I monitor my memory all the time also. I would not say this is what everyone is seeing definitely related to how you are using 3.5.2 or what you have in terms of add-ons.

You might want to dig deeper on the net to see if you can root cause what you are seeing.

#39 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

Richard - Try launching Firefox 3.5.2 in Safe Mode. The link will be on your start menu under the Mozilla Firefox menu. I believe this will even temporarily disable extensions (such as PDF plugins, Flash player plugins, etc.) See if this helps in any way... If not, I'd say you have to uninstall FF and reinstall...

Still freezes in safe mode.

#40 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

If you did an uninstall and a re-install and the issues is still the same something is either not being deleted or 3.5.2 has some time of incompatibility with what you have installed. You said you have AVG. I have that installed on my system and don't see the slowness. Have you tried CCleaner to clean things out.

Something does not seem right here.... Either 3.5.2 add something that is causing this or something is not getting uninstalled when you uninstall 3.5.2. Have you given Something like CCleaner a shot to see if that helps matters.

#41 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:58 AM

Downloading CCleaner now. I'll work with it later today.

#42 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

It is a long shot, but something worth trying.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...