Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Problem with RG6 Run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

Ok, so randomly out of nowhere my RG6 run (thats in the wall) stopped working. It was tuner 2 of the HR20 in my living room. I thought it might have been a dead BBC problem...but it wasnt. I've checked everything outside and it all looks good at the multiswitch's end. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

The only thing that I can think of is to go out with my cable tester and unhook everything and see it i get a tone coming from that line.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

Ok, so randomly out of nowhere my RG6 run (thats in the wall) stopped working. It was tuner 2 of the HR20 in my living room. I thought it might have been a dead BBC problem...but it wasnt. I've checked everything outside and it all looks good at the multiswitch's end. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

The only thing that I can think of is to go out with my cable tester and unhook everything and see it i get a tone coming from that line.

Before you go too far down the road with lots of causes....

First check:

1) The connectors on both ends of the coax to your HR20 - a top source of these kinds of problems (check the connectors on your multiswitch - not just visually, but make sure they are still intact and solidly connected)
2) You said its not the BBC, but did you try another BBC (if you have one)?
3) Power off (unplug) your HR20 for 5 minutes, and then power it up again.

Most times, diagnosing these things is a "process of elimination" activity - you are checking things to verify that are OK to locate what is actually not OK.

If you continue to have a problem after these first couple of steps, it is likely:

a) The HR20 Tuner 2 - do you get Sat signal levels showing in the setup menu, and if so, how do they compare to the Tuner 1 levels?
B) A connector or coax in another location
c) An LNB issue on your Dish
d) Something else

Feel free to come back when you have some results. Many folks are here to assist.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Before you go too far down the road with lots of causes....

First check:

1) The connectors on both ends of the coax to your HR20 - a top source of these kinds of problems (check the connectors on your multiswitch - not just visually, but make sure they are still intact and solidly connected)
2) You said its not the BBC, but did you try another BBC (if you have one)?
3) Power off (unplug) your HR20 for 5 minutes, and then power it up again.

Most times, diagnosing these things is a "process of elimination" activity - you are checking things to verify that are OK to locate what is actually not OK.

If you continue to have a problem after these first couple of steps, it is likely:

a) The HR20 Tuner 2 - do you get Sat signal levels showing in the setup menu, and if so, how do they compare to the Tuner 1 levels?
B) A connector or coax in another location
c) An LNB issue on your Dish
d) Something else

Feel free to come back when you have some results. Many folks are here to assist.

I did try another BBC and i also tried the line in another IRD. It didnt work either way.
Oh I also switch and put that line into tuner 1 and it didnt work either.

I did just do a signal test...it doesnt get any signal except for a very low number on 99(s).

Ill go ahead and power it off for now and check the connectors a little bit later(it just started to rain).

I dont think its an LNB problem case my other IRDs are fine.

Thanks for the quick response!!

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

I did try another BBC and i also tried the line in another IRD. It didnt work either way.
Oh I also switch and put that line into tuner 1 and it didnt work either.

I did just do a signal test...it doesnt get any signal except for a very low number on 99(s).

Ill go ahead and power it off for now and check the connectors a little bit later(it just started to rain).

I dont think its an LNB problem case my other IRDs are fine.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Based on what it sounds like you have eliminated...it could still be a connector or cable on the multiswitch end...as you said it did not work for the other IRD either, so that would seem to indicate its not local to the HR20 alone.

There may also be an issue with the port on the multiswitch...so you may try to use another port (or switch with one that is known good) to see if the problem migrates to a currently-Ok DVR. If so, then the multiswitch port is the culprit.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall