Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone watching Dark Blue?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

This show has been growing on me as the weeks of summer push on. the plot may be weak, but you find yourself rooting for the team as they plod towards a conclusion of their case.... :)

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

From the beginning its got Nicki Aycox in it....

#3 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 636 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

Having some trouble getting into this one. It just hasn't managed to grab me like I expected it would.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

Having some trouble getting into this one. It just hasn't managed to grab me like I expected it would.

Same here. I like what I've seen so far. However, something about it just hasn't made it a must see. Right now it's more along the lines of if there's nothing in my playlist, its there.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

I'm with you! I'm willing to give it a few more weeks though..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

That's funny, it is the same for me as well. I really like Dylan McDermott and the other actors are really good. The plot should be gripping, but it is not gripping me. I can't figure out if it because I am generally on this forum as I watch (:grin:) so maybe I am distracted and not paying close enough attention.

I kind of feel the same way about The Cleaner. I watched half of last year, and left the SL so I now have something like 17 episodes. I can't even drum up enough interest to watch them. I keep thinking at some dead point of the season I will watch those and a few other series I got bored with but never deleted the SL's.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

Good cast, theoretically a good story line, and even the dialogue is decent. So....

What's not holding me is that so far it's like coming into a pilot every week. We don't adequately see the process from picking the evil doer to take down, insinuating the undercover into the situation, etc. It's just not enough there yet to draw us in, to make us care. I'm not sure that it will grab us if each episode is a separate story.

Maybe as we get to know each character better and know all their back stories, but I don't know. But I'd have to admit that if the next evil doer and his gang walked into their headquarters an blew them all away, I'd probably be just thinking "well, they sure screwed up on that case. Oh well...." I kinda have to care about the characters.

I too have a backlog of The Cleaner from last season and all this season so far. It's good serious drama, but....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:49 PM

Same here, I tried the first episode and didn't make it all the way through. I'm down to two shows on TNT that I consider can't miss, Closer and Leverage(and it's nowhere near as good as last season). I watch Hawthorne and Saving Grace, but if I miss one I usually don't bother to catch it later.

#9 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

I also gave up at the first episode.

I think TNT shot blanks this summer, at least with regard to their new shows.

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Watched the first couple and gave it an "eh" and deleted the season pass. Mainly just didn't like it, seemed boring. Plus plenty of other things to watch and the fall season and football around the corner didn't feel like getting into another show.

#11 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

So if we are at all indicative of the population, this show will not be renewed.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

I think the latter is a safe assumption. With regard to the former: We're generally not indicative of the general population: Instead, we tend to be more fanish, so if we're not enthusiastic about something that is within a genre that we're not diametrically opposed to*, then you can guess that the general public is significantly less enthusiastic about it than even we are.

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

Cable ratings are complicated and run behind. For the week ending August 2, TNT had only one show in the top 20, The Closer, which ranked #1. From TV by the Numbers:

TNT Watch: Leverage almost made the top 20 with 3.676 million but didn’t quite make it. Hawthorne did well with 3.609 million and Dark Blue lagged behind with 2.917 million. Raising the Bar had 3.535 million, but it also had #1 The Closer as its lead-in. Update: My apologies to Detective Hanadarko fans — I didn’t mean to leave Saving Grace off the TNT Watch! Saving Grace averaged 3.159 million viewers.

The 20th rated show had 3,731 viewers, The Incredibles on Disney, which had 6 of the 20 spots (it's Summer and the kids are home). But USA had a whopping 10 of the top 20 cable shows.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#14 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

I think the latter is a safe assumption. With regard to the former: We're generally not indicative of the general population: Instead, we tend to be more fanish, so if we're not enthusiastic about something that is within a genre that we're not diametrically opposed to*, then you can guess that the general public is significantly less enthusiastic about it than even we are.

The numbers haven't been too bad for Dark Blue, not sure what the 2nd week's were, but 3.5M(illion), 2.9M, 2.8M on the other three weeks isn't too bad and I would think merits serious renewal consideration.

#15 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

Watched the first show......it was my last. Way to "dark" for me.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#16 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

Dark? Or just cloudy? :)

#17 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

We're enjoying it. Maybe it's out of curiosity to see if Carter and his can keep from going over the line as Vic Mackey and his did. Plus, I like the dark ones. Don't like a lot of sunshine :P
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#18 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

I think it has some potential. However they have got to ramp up the scrip content... Good actors, but he story line needs some creativity..

― 
Joseph Campbell

#19 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

We're enjoying it. Maybe it's out of curiosity to see if Carter and his can keep from going over the line as Vic Mackey and his did. Plus, I like the dark ones. Don't like a lot of sunshine :P

I don't mind dark either. The Shield was tremendously gripping. Talk about "must see TV."!!! But as many of us mentioned, something isn't gripping us here.

Edited by Supramom2000, 10 August 2009 - 11:10 AM.

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

Yeah I do miss the Shield.....Great Tv....:D

―