Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

In the Stone Age

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zigmeisterxiv

zigmeisterxiv

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

set-up is from 2001 and my 6000 receiver is essentially dead. Only get a couple of the CD channels (with song text) and audio only on HBO east. All other channels are dark, though I do get the menu.

So I guess I need to buy something .. questions

- if I get a dvr model (vip612) do I have to pay extra $$/month

- if I get a non-dvr model (vip211) are there external devices that will work (still without extra cost/month)

- I have Dish 500 ... will I need new lnb for the dish and which ones. Just a simple swap with the old ones??

Sorry for all the ignorance. I just want to watch Mad Men when it starts up again .. hahahaa

-zig

PS - if you know what part of the 6000 I need to smack to get it working again that info is also appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   zigmeisterxiv

zigmeisterxiv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

.. over 60 views and no one has a suggestion ... anyway ...

I guess I will go with the vip211 as I see you can hook up a dvr later for $40 activation .. I can live with that.

So lastly I still need help on the LNB issue: do I need to change; which model for the Dish 500; is it simple swap out??

thanks

- z

#3 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

The 6000 is a discontinued receiver. Call in and have E* replace it. Will be done free of charge.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#4 OFFLINE   zigmeisterxiv

zigmeisterxiv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

which I do not. I own all my equipment and wish to keep it that way ..

I spoke to them and they wanted to get me in a lease which in the long run would cost me more. So my question on the LNBs remain.

thanks

z

#5 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

How would a lease cost you more in the long run? The monthly costs are exactly the same whether equipment is leased or owned, the receiver is always under warranty leased, and up front costs are far less, in this case free...aside from which, if you really want to still own they'll set it up as a replacement instead of upgrade, and you would own the new one.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#6 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

I'm not saying your wrong, just wanting to know how it would cost more.

-Puck

#7 OFFLINE   zigmeisterxiv

zigmeisterxiv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

but I prefer to own my equip ...

so the question remains whether my legacy lnbs on my dish 500 will work with the vip211 or I have to change them.

thanks

z

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

The legacy LNBs will work, but you need either the 129 or (more likely) the 61.5 sat in order to get HD programming, assuming you intend to get HD. If that's the case, then you'll probably want to upgrade, either to a 1000.2 dish or to a DP Plus Twin and a DP Dual, the latter of which would go on a second Dish 500.

#9 OFFLINE   zigmeisterxiv

zigmeisterxiv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

.. at some point if I want satellite HD I will consider the 1000 .. for now SD is enough .. and I'll get some HD on the OTA.

Good to know 500 will work as is till then ..

much thanks,

z

Protected By... spam firewall...And...