Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problems moving SENT private messages

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

I'm cleaning up my PM Inbox and created some folders and have no problem moving messages from the Inbox to the new folders, but it seems I can't move messages from my Sent folder into any of the custom folders I've created.

Unlike with the Inbox, there is no option in the Sent folder to select multiple messages and then move in bulk, instead I only find an option to move a message if I open an individual message from the Sent folder. However, when I choose "Move" and then select the folder from the list and submit the action, I'm taken to that folder but the message has not been moved - it's still in the Sent folder.

Any ideas or workarounds?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

I just delete all my PM's. Have you tried that?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

I just delete all my PM's. Have you tried that?

Only one the ones that I'm interested in deleting. :)

I'm interested in saving PMs in custom folders but even though the SENT folder includes options for moving PMs, the forum software is only permitting moves for messages in the INBOX.

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Anyone? Bueller? :)

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

You might be the only one saving them Drew. I still can't figure out why you'd want to. It's like recording all your phone calls and burning them to a CD.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

I might be the only one, but since the forum software includes links to do it, I'd love to actually be able to DO it. I'm slowly cleaning my Inbox and Sent folders, and there are specific messages I've sent to others that I want to keep and I want to move them out of the way as I continue to clean my sent folder.

I'm really hoping to hear from Chris or anyone else who's ever tried this ... or just have someone tell me they tried it and it worked, so it's something I'm overlooking in the existing options.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

I think that's a bug in the forum software, and it's been there for at least two years. I work around it by BCC'ing myself in any messages I wish to keep. That puts a copy in my inbox.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,554 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hmmm. I save to my drive all my private messages from the inbox and from the sent box using the Dowload as TEXT option then delete them from the boxes:

Posted Image

It's a little awkward to find something in the files in the very few times I wanted to check something, but "doable".

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

And it's worth pointing out that phrelin's method functions 100%. In past versions of vBulletin it would crash in certain cases, like too many messages selected.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response.

The bulk method to move sent PM's was removed by VB a number of years ago. Nobody really knows why.

There is a bug in our software to move individual sent PM's but I'm going to be honest, it probably won't get fixed. Our current database is over 7 years old and there are quirks that we have never been able to figure out. The only way to fix them would be to start all over again from scratch and that's just not going to happen. With most of the small issues there are work arounds like the ones mentioned above.

I personally just download all my PM's as text and delete everything from my PM box. That way I have an archive of everything. I have every PM I ever received and sent dating back to March of 2002 (when we deployed our VB database).

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't think I had considered (or seen) the download option, but that is definitely worth doing and should serve me well.

Also thanks to Stuart for suggesting I BCC myself - I think I'll be doing that in the future. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...