Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tversity Pause Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jponte55

jponte55

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hi All,
I'm using an HR21 running 0x339 software. Occasionally I stream movies that I have archived in xvid format from my PC to the HR21 in the bedroom using Tversity. Since there isn't native support for xvid on the receiver Tversity is transcoding the video prior to sending to the HR21 to mpeg2 I believe. I think everyone knows the limitations of this method but it works for casual movie watching with one exception that I will get to below. On an aside I have a video game console in my theatre that I use for more "serious" movie watching works pretty much flawlessly.

I know there is no trickplay available for media share on the HR series receivers but I was under the impression that pause worked. What's happening in my case is when I start a movie after having it paused for a few minutes the movie will play for another 10 seconds then it will fail. No error comes up but I'm returned to live TV with the media share menu still intact. In the status section of Tversity there is no error message either just in the transcoding section is says suspended. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or had heard of it. I went to Tversity support boards and I did see one thread where two people had the same issue but it was never resolved.

Hopefully someone's heard of this. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh, one more thing, I don't think its a software issue on the HR21 as this has happened on both the NR as well as CE.

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

I have the H21-200 running the latest NR and Tversity, and the receiver does the same thing.

#3 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

I have this same issue and have had it since the day i bought my Hr23-700. Regardless of the firmware version I have been running pausing and restarting as never worked correctly. I have already been to their support site and found no solution anywhere. What I have had to learn to do is only use TVersity if I'm going to start a movie and watch it completely. At times i have had a fail while watching a complete movie as well.

BTW. You are correct. Its transcoding on the fly to mpeg which happens to be the only format the STB can see.

#4 OFFLINE   jponte55

jponte55

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. The lack of pause functionality is unfortunate and with the amount of people seemingly using media share on this forum I'm surprised I wasn't able to find any information on this via search. Is there any other dlna software you've heard of that will transcode video for the HR receivers and allow it to resart after a pause?

#5 OFFLINE   stearic

stearic

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

Just thought i'd add a lil bit, i haven't tried it on my receiver (not sure what i have, the guy is just installing my stuff) but when i've transcoded stuff via tversity when sending to my ps3, i get the same pause/resume issue as well. It's either a problem with tversity itself, or an issue in general with trandcoding. I think it's just the transcoding as that's on the fly, and when you pause it might mess something up.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

We can all thank Intel for this stuff. DirecTV partnered with Intel, which insisted they use Viiv, an Intel variation on DNLA that Intel was pushing at the time. But by the time DirecTV got the Media Share software onto the receivers, Intel had already withdrawn support for Viiv, yet DirecTV is (apparently) obligated to continue supporting it, instead of the DNLA standard methods, which would allow trickplay functions with many (but not all) types of files.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...