Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Logitech Harmony H900 RF Remote and Base Station

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

Found this online ... http://www.remotesho....php?itemid=931

FCC filings show Logitech is developing an RF remote and things look like a September announcement at CEDIA, so my hope is it will be available before the end of the year.

I also really hope it's based on the Harmony One (but with hard color buttons) and not on the 880/890 model, as I can't stand them.

Here are two mock-ups I made last year of the Harmony One with color buttons. I like the first one better with color buttons closer to the navigation keys, but I'll adapt if they go with the second one. ;)

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11798&d=1199831203http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11797&d=1199831195

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:40 AM

I really don't need RF that much but it would be handy.

I do like where the color buttons are. Right now I have them mapped to the LCD screen.

But, will it be able to do macros with more then five steps?

I have one button macros to get to the To-Do list, History, and do a menu reset to name a few.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 10 August 2009 - 07:43 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:43 AM

this would be an almost perfect remote...my only complaint (which would not stop me from buying it) is that you can only put 3 activities on the main screen (I hate having to go to a secondary screen for more activities)...

I keep forgetting: why is RF support so important?
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100
2 HR21-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
2 HR22-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
AM21 hooked up to one HR21

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

I keep forgetting: why is RF support so important?

For people who have all their equipment located in a media closet out of sight.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#5 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:12 AM

I'd actually prefer an update to the old 880 series, which had superior ergonomics, to add color buttons and stronger IR emitters. I'm hoping my old 880 makes it long enough to see what's coming down the pike.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

You know I love you Stuart and always respect your opinions, but in this case ... you're wrong! :D :P I kid. :) Obviously, it's is all about what works for each person, but I've always found the buttons on the 880 were too small and the transport keys were just a shade too much below where my thumbs could easily access them, no matter how I tried to adjust the remote in my hands. The keys are also too close together, something that the Harmony One remedied, and the One can easily be used in the dark without even the internal remote lighting.

Based on the model number, though, it appears you could be happier than I will be with the new Harmony, so I won't begrudge you that .... :)

#7 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

You know I love you Stuart and always respect your opinions, but in this case ... you're wrong! :D :P I kid. :) Obviously, it's is all about what works for each person, but I've always found the buttons on the 880 were too small and the transport keys were just a shade too much below where my thumbs could easily access them, no matter how I tried to adjust the remote in my hands. The keys are also too close together, something that the Harmony One remedied, and the One can easily be used in the dark without even the internal remote lighting.

Based on the model number, though, it appears you could be happier than I will be with the new Harmony, so I won't begrudge you that .... :)

I agree the number may be bad news...but then again, they couldn't very well call it the #2, could they? :D
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100

#8 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

My friend, that's why there are different devices for different people. I took an immediate shine to the 880 many years ago, and it was an easy sell for a household used to a TiVo "peanut." I'll admit to holding a little grudge against the One because of the lack of color buttons and a {List} button, but I also found it didn't balance as well in the hand when I tried it out.

One way or another, 2009 will be the year of a new remote for the Shadow home. H900? Harmony One? Acoustic Research XSight? Refurbed 880? Not even the Shadow knows.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

I'm with you Stuart ... a new universal remote is on the way. I can feel it ...

It's so sad that I have a drawer full of universal remotes - my family thinks I have an illness, as I'm always in pursuit of the "perfect" remote. One day I'll have to post a picture of that drawer ... :P

#10 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Man, I hope any new remote they come out with has the color buttons and a list button. I love my 880, but it's being held together with some tape right now (dogs with steel bars for tails and preschoolers don't mix with a remote :) )

The tape bugs my hand a bit when holding it (only been about 1 1/2 months with the tape), but I don't want to buy a new one until the next best thing comes out. I was thinking of finding an old Harmony xbox remote because of the colors. I'd even switch to the less comfortable ONE format if it meant new colors. I love the 880 because of it's tivo-like peanut shape. it was an easy transition. And I hate the standard DirecTV remote. Just have never liked it at all.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#11 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

Either one of those Mock-ups look good to me, but IMHO the 670/676 had the best DVR buttons out of all of the Harmony remotes.
I'm using 2-880's and a 670 in my house.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

What is it with these yoyos and their location of the skip/slip/jump buttons? Skip buttons should be right under where your thumb lands.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

Either one of those Mock-ups look good to me, but IMHO the 670/676 had the best DVR buttons out of all of the Harmony remotes.
I'm using 2-880's and a 670 in my house.

Agreed. I use my 670 (620 actually) in the living room where it's used for several hours each day and relegated the 880 to the home theater where it's only used a couple of hours each week (plus I like the glow feature in an all black theater).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Agreed. I use my 670 (620 actually) in the living room where it's used for several hours each day and relegated the 880 to the home theater where it's only used a couple of hours each week (plus I like the glow feature in an all black theater).

Same thing I do.

#15 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:08 AM

Well, It's out:
http://www.engadget....-behind-closed/
http://reviews.cnet....ech Harmony 900

Who wants to buy my 890??

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:16 AM

Well, It's out:
http://www.engadget....-behind-closed/
http://reviews.cnet....ech Harmony 900

Who wants to buy my 890??

$399, Wow. :eek2:

What about macros? Is it still limited or can it do more then five steps?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

crap...the perfect remote, then they price it $100 more than my max...

what if I don't need the RF parts? I just want the remote!
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100

#18 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:24 AM

what if I don't need the RF parts?

Suffer logitech's wrath ?

#19 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

it's available for pre-order on Amazon...

Linky
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100

#20 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,800 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

Like I posted in the other thread, if it doesn't support the HR's RF codes, then its useless to me. :(

But will it be RF compatible with the HR's? I need a remote that has RF and IR all in one, so I can continue to use RF on other TV's in house, while still using RF and IR in the living room at the same time, without having to switch remotes. This is why I was hopeful for the AR remote.

Now if they ever fix the HR's so they can do both RF and IR, then something like that would be perfect.

EDIT: could Harmony come out with an adapter "dongle", like the PS3, to plug into the USB port on the back of the HR's in order to take advantage of RF and IR at the same time, like I described above?

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 11 August 2009 - 07:24 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...