Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Logitech Harmony H900 RF Remote and Base Station

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Like I posted in the other thread, if it doesn't support the HR's RF codes, then its useless to me. :(

EDIT: could Harmony come out with an adapter "dongle", like the PS3, to plug into the USB port on the back of the HR's in order to take advantage of RF and IR at the same time, like I described above?

why are you assuming that it does not? Harmony has always supported those devices in the past...if it adds RF to the remote, why would it exclude the HRs?
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100
2 HR21-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
2 HR22-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
AM21 hooked up to one HR21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

I would hope they have a cheaper version without the RF and all the IR blasters and stuff. I have no need for them. Then again, I'm a URC guy with my trusty MX's over the past 10 years so hopefully they will release a version with the colored buttons.

#23 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,901 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

first of all, Logitech owes Drew2K some royalties for using his design :)

Still no {List} button. I guess that's too hard for them. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

I don't know though, that one's a bit rich for my blood and I just don't need RF. Maybe it will drive the Harmony One downmarket.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

no kidding...I think Drew should get a lawyer!
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100

#25 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

$399, Wow. :eek2:

What about macros? Is it still limited or can it do more then five steps?

Mike

I don't think it does sequences at all. It is based on the 1100 which doesn't have sequences either. I find this hard to believe.

#26 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Well, It's out:
http://www.engadget....-behind-closed/
http://reviews.cnet....ech Harmony 900

Who wants to buy my 890??

Still no {List} button. I guess that's too hard for them. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

I don't know though, that one's a bit rich for my blood and I just don't need RF. Maybe it will drive the Harmony One downmarket.

no kidding...I think Drew should get a lawyer!

Drew was doing the Snoopy happy dance big time when he saw the picture of the H900!!!! :P :P

Then Drew saw the price and that there's no List button, and decided this may still not be the remote he wants... :(

I'm still going to hold out hope for the xSight, as there appear to be no limitations on it and it even has multiple profiles and more options for favorites ... :( :( :(

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

I don't think it does sequences at all. It is based on the 1100 which doesn't have sequences either. I find this hard to believe.

I think all the Harmony's can do five step macros (sequences).

IIRC, if you do it quickly enough, it can learn a couple of button presses for one button when learning in raw mode. IOW, in raw mode teach one button two button presses from the original remote then you can have a five step sequence that actually has six steps. From what I hear it's not easy to do but I know it's possible.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#28 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

I would hope they have a cheaper version without the RF and all the IR blasters and stuff. I have no need for them.

Agreed. I'd much rather use a remote that takes standard batteries, so I can utilize a Next Generation Extender on it. Then I can use it anywhere in the house. Give me similar styling (i.e. colored buttons) for $100 - $150 and I'm probably sold

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

The Hamony One and the H900 RF are identical in looks (except for hte hard color buttons) and the One does sequences (up to 5 steps apiece), so it stands to reason that the new top-of-the-line remote, the Harmony flagship remote if you will, will also do sequences. The software really could be different though, and hopefully that limitation of 5 steps has been removed - make it 10 or 15 and people will do their own Snoopy dances.

#30 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

I can't imagine them forcing people to pay an extra $100 for RF equipment if they don't need it...I'm hoping there will be two versions...
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

I can't imagine them forcing people to pay an extra $100 for RF equipment if they don't need it...I'm hoping there will be two versions...

That is kind of odd. :scratchin

Considering that it's probably going to popluar, you'd think it would be available with and without the RF gear.

Maybe it's just today's announce of the capabilities and they haven't announced all the possible configurations for sale. Then again, maybe not. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#32 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

I think all the Harmony's can do five step macros (sequences).

IIRC, if you do it quickly enough, it can learn a couple of button presses for one button when learning in raw mode. IOW, in raw mode teach one button two button presses from the original remote then you can have a five step sequence that actually has six steps. From what I hear it's not easy to do but I know it's possible.

Mike

The Hamony One and the H900 RF are identical in looks (except for hte hard color buttons) and the One does sequences (up to 5 steps apiece), so it stands to reason that the new top-of-the-line remote, the Harmony flagship remote if you will, will also do sequences. The software really could be different though, and hopefully that limitation of 5 steps has been removed - make it 10 or 15 and people will do their own Snoopy dances.

From the Harmony forums:

http://forums.logite...id=34609#M34609

and confirmed

http://forums.logite...id=34613#M34613

Edited by David Ortiz, 11 August 2009 - 11:13 AM.
fixed second link

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,901 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

Let's see what they say at CEDIA. Their presence at CES was very weak, especially in the remote arena, so maybe they'll make up for it with a whole family of remotes.

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

From the Harmony forums:

and confirmed

I always found it odd that macros were limited to five step so not having them all makes not sense what so ever. :scratchin

My family really likes having one button access to thinks like the To-Do list the History.

Not having macros is just plain unsat! It almost seems like a step backward compared to the competition.

Mike

µß

#35 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

I use the up arrow button for list. I use the down arrow button for format. What do you use those two spare buttons for, Stuart?

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

I use the up arrow button for list. I use the down arrow button for format. What do you use those two spare buttons for, Stuart?

I don't know about Stuart but mine are the up and down arrow. Call me crazy but I use them for moving up and down the Menu, List, Guide...well everything. :grin:

Seriously though, does the function change to up arrow when you're in the List?

Mike

µß

#37 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

I'm referring to the two extra buttons ^ and v, not the directional buttons.

#38 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,901 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

I use ^ and v for fast forwarding and rewinding. They're very well placed for that, and while it's a duplication of two buttons placed not too far away, it's been a big hit as those are two of the three most common buttons pushed (the third being OK)

It's true there are buttons that could be mapped to {List} but not everyone in the household is into memorizing button mappings. Soft buttons are great but {List} is too common to be a soft button IMO.

#39 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

I'm referring to the two extra buttons ^ and v, not the directional buttons.

Ok, I missed that in the picture, sorry...color me clueless :grin:

Mike

µß

#40 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

I use ^ and v for fast forwarding and rewinding. They're very well placed for that, and while it's a duplication of two buttons placed not too far away, it's been a big hit as those are two of the three most common buttons pushed (the third being OK)

It's true there are buttons that could be mapped to {List} but not everyone in the household is into memorizing button mappings. Soft buttons are great but {List} is too common to be a soft button IMO.

Those two buttons are in a different location on the One. They are higher on the remote, and are stacked vertically.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...