Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB.TV now available on the Roku player

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

With Roku and MLB.TV Premium, you can now watch your favorite team no matter where you live. Catch live, out-of-market games on your TV screen with your MLB.TV Premium subscription and your Roku player and watch local market or other nationally televised games approximately 90 minutes after they end.

More here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

Great news...Thanks!

MLBEI is nice, but depending on PQ this is better especially from a cost perspective.

#3 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

It's not clear to me from any of the articles that I've read whether or not games will be offered in HD (although the MLB page that the Roku page links to indicates HD quality games where available). I hope so. Irregardless, I think the wife and I will try this out for the rest of the season.

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,254 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hmm, a bit disappointing that it requires premium. I have the non-premium package so I can watch games on my iPhone. Anyway, I have EI so most of my needs are covered anyway. Would be nice if there were a free preview period, though to check out the quality.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

It's not clear to me from any of the articles that I've read whether or not games will be offered in HD (although the MLB page that the Roku page links to indicates HD quality games where available). I hope so. Irregardless, I think the wife and I will try this out for the rest of the season.

Not only do I wonder about the HD but are all gmaes streamable only after the complete game is over?

#6 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Not only do I wonder about the HD but are all gmaes streamable only after the complete game is over?

HD quality will be available.

Local blacked out and National games available 90 minutes after completion.

http://paidcontent.o...-mlb.tv-roster/

#7 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

Games that are not blacked out locally and are not televised nationally will be carried live.

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Games that are not blacked out locally and are not televised nationally will be carried live.

Kind of hard to see why as many people would keep MLB EI with this being so much cheaper.

#9 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Kind of hard to see why as many people would keep MLB EI with this being so much cheaper.

We have FiOS TV and, while they do carry MLB EI, they do not have as many games in HD as DirecTV. For that reason, and because of all the blackouts, we did not subscribe this year.

We do have a Roku player and it's a great little device; it does an amazing job of streaming HD content from Netflix and Amazon.com (I just started watching Harper's Island the other night - Netflix has the entire series available for streaming).

This is a great alternative to MLB EI for myself and my wife, who's an out of market Yankees fan.

I just signed up for $34.95 for the rest of the season and will give it a test drive this evening.

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

We have FiOS TV and, while they do carry MLB EI, they do not have as many games in HD as DirecTV. For that reason, and because of all the blackouts, we did not subscribe this year.

We do have a Roku player and it's a great little device; it does an amazing job of streaming HD content from Netflix and Amazon.com (I just started watching Harper's Island the other night - Netflix has the entire series available for streaming).

This is a great alternative to MLB EI for myself and my wife, who's an out of market Yankees fan.

I just signed up for $34.95 for the rest of the season and will give it a test drive this evening.

I guess it should really benifit E* fans who did not have the option for MLB EI this year.

#11 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

I guess it should really benifit E* fans who did not have the option for MLB EI this year.

That's a really good point.

#12 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

I watched a HD movie on the Roku box the other night and I really wouldn't call it HD. It's just very good looking DVD. The best HD I have seen from any streaming box so far is from the AppleTV (which I guess really isn't streaming but I can still watch an HD movie in real time while it downloads).

The great thing about the Roku box is that its cheap and getting more and more versitile each time Roku adds a feature.

#13 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

I watched a HD movie on the Roku box the other night and I really wouldn't call it HD. It's just very good looking DVD. The best HD I have seen from any streaming box so far is from the AppleTV (which I guess really isn't streaming but I can still watch an HD movie in real time while it downloads).

The great thing about the Roku box is that its cheap and getting more and more versitile each time Roku adds a feature.

I wouldn't confuse streaming HD from Netflix with Blu-ray quality, that's for sure (it's 720p after all). But to me it does look quite a bit better than an upconverted DVD. I find it to be very watchable. Heck, I even think that the streaming SD content is pretty darn good.

My Roku player reminds me of my iPhone; it was pretty great when I got it and it just keeps getting better and better over time.

#14 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

I wouldn't confuse streaming HD from Netflix with Blu-ray quality, that's for sure (it's 720p after all). But to me it does look quite a bit better than an upconverted DVD. I find it to be very watchable. Heck, I even think that the streaming SD content is pretty darn good.

You are correct. It does look pretty good but the larger the display, the more Netflix streaming shows its true colors.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Roku box but for those with large front projectors, using the Roku box is not the first choice when viewing HD movies.

#15 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

You are correct. It does look pretty good but the larger the display, the more Netflix streaming shows its true colors.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Roku box but for those with large front projectors, using the Roku box is not the first choice when viewing HD movies.

I have a 55" plasma and I think that it looks pretty good.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Please post how the MLB games looked...I am thinking about getting one of these, also what how is your Roku hooked up to the internet...

Thanks

#17 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

This is a brilliant move by Roku and MLB. Now you don't even have to have cable or satellite to get MLB games on your TV.

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

This is a brilliant move by Roku and MLB. Now you don't even have to have cable or satellite to get MLB games on your TV.

Although true, the package lacks one very important aspect. Local games are not available. Here, the DBacks broadcast exclusively on FSN AZ. Cable or satellite is the only option for those games.

I have seen MLB add locals, but they asked San Diego and NY residents for an extra $50.00 and required them to watch using a cable provided internet. The price was a "half-season" special, so God only knows how much they'll charge for that. Also...I don't believe the local packages are available a-la carte. You have to be an MLB.TV sub also.

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

From what I've read about the Roku, the PQ isn't even 720p. I'd have one if it did at least that. I just spent a couple hours last week reading the reviews about the Roku and I was disappointed. Might well buy a cheap Sammy BD player just to stream NetFlix. Not that much more expensive and it does everything. I've seen the Sammy 1500 for about $179. That little bit of money is worth it for better PQ. And I'm not a Sammy fan. I've got a great Sony BD player, but it doesn't stream NetFlix. Neither do the Pannys.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

Please post how the MLB games looked...I am thinking about getting one of these, also what how is your Roku hooked up to the internet...

Thanks

I checked this out last night. The picture quality was 720P and looked pretty good to me. I am connected via wireless and there were few issues. Overall I was pleased. Also of note, it did not restrict my computer login so I was able to watch one game on my TV and another on my laptop at the same time.

spam firewall