Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB.TV now available on the Roku player

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

From what I've read about the Roku, the PQ isn't even 720p. I'd have one if it did at least that. I just spent a couple hours last week reading the reviews about the Roku and I was disappointed. Might well buy a cheap Sammy BD player just to stream NetFlix. Not that much more expensive and it does everything. I've seen the Sammy 1500 for about $179. That little bit of money is worth it for better PQ. And I'm not a Sammy fan. I've got a great Sony BD player, but it doesn't stream NetFlix. Neither do the Pannys.

Rich

I agree. It's worth it just to buy the Sammy and have both Blu-Ray and Netflix in one box. I have a real hard time when Netflix claims "HD" when they talk about the Roku. Sure, it looks pretty good but on a 106" screen, NO WAY!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Well now the Roku has one upped the Sammy BD player with mlb.tv. Let me know when the sammy has added mlb.tv :)

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

I agree. It's worth it just to buy the Sammy and have both Blu-Ray and Netflix in one box. I have a real hard time when Netflix claims "HD" when they talk about the Roku. Sure, it looks pretty good but on a 106" screen, NO WAY!

All I really care about is PQ, which you know you'll get with any BD player. I would happily buy the Roku, in fact, that's why I spent so much time reading the very disappointing reviews of the Roku. Seems as if that's taking a step backwards.

But, to give the Roku folks credit, it wasn't that long ago that I did some research on the Roku and found out it only output stereo and not even 5.1 DTS. Now, on their website, they state that 5.1 DTS is being streamed. If they can get the PQ up and keep the price down, I'll probably buy one.

Rich

#24 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

So has anyone compared Roku vs a BluRay player for PQ on streaming Netflix HD content?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

Well now the Roku has one upped the Sammy BD player with mlb.tv. Let me know when the sammy has added mlb.tv :)

The mlb.tv holds no interest to me. I watch the Yankees, every inning of every game. If I were to bet on games, then I could see it, but baseball is too unpredictable to bet on.

I've got more than a half dozen major and minor league stadiums within reach of my home and have no interest in them. I don't even watch the playoffs or the World Series if the Yankees are not in them.

Don't get the idea that I don't like baseball in all it's forms. I played for a long time and have been a Yankees fan since I was nine. I've tried to live my life as if it were a baseball game and have been quite successful with that philosophy. I've been a coach, a manager and an umpire. And, most importantly, a Yankees fan. That's why I got D* service in the first place.

Notice the avatar?

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

From what I've read about the Roku, the PQ isn't even 720p. I'd have one if it did at least that. I just spent a couple hours last week reading the reviews about the Roku and I was disappointed. Might well buy a cheap Sammy BD player just to stream NetFlix. Not that much more expensive and it does everything. I've seen the Sammy 1500 for about $179. That little bit of money is worth it for better PQ. And I'm not a Sammy fan. I've got a great Sony BD player, but it doesn't stream NetFlix. Neither do the Pannys.

Rich

You need to check the date on any Roku reviews you read - 720P is a relatively recent addition and Dolby Digital 5.1 was just added yesterday via a software update. I don't think there's any streaming Netflix content with DD5.1 as of yet.

Also, if Netflix is only providing 720P streams, the Sammy BD player will only provide better PQ is it has good upscaler.

#27 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

720p is HD, although many people don't consider it "true HD" - which typically refers to 1080p.

#28 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Rich

The PQ of the Roku is 720p. In fact, the Roku was the first device to offer Netflix streaming video in 720p.

A Blu-rau player will not give you better PQ when streaming Netflix content, it is the same stream at the same resolution.

#29 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

720p is HD, although many people don't consider it "true HD" - which typically refers to 1080p.

Which is the reason why they can claim HD. The problem with the Netflix HD stream is the compression level. That's where it really falls short.

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

You need to check the date on any Roku reviews you read - 720P is a relatively recent addition and Dolby Digital 5.1 was just added yesterday via a software update. I don't think there's any streaming Netflix content with DD5.1 as of yet.

I read that on their website last week, about the 5.1, I mean.

Also, if Netflix is only providing 720P streams, the Sammy BD player will only provide better PQ is it has good upscaler.

I don't have a problem with 720p. My Panny plasmas show a great 720p. I'd be satisfied with that, but I think I'd rather stream with a BD player. I just saw an LG BD player for $202 in the NYC Daily News. Just the thought of buying another Sammy gives me the willies. :lol:

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

Please post how the MLB games looked...I am thinking about getting one of these, also what how is your Roku hooked up to the internet...

Thanks

I wasn't able to get the update last night, but I installed it this morning and checked out a couple of archived games. All three that I checked out were streaming in 720p.

The stream takes about as long to load as a Netflix HD stream (about 14 seconds on my setup) so I assume that the bit stream is about the same.

Because live baseball game action doesn't lend itself well to digital compression, the PQ does not hold up as well as with Netflix HD movies. But it is still quite good and watchable. The HD games on DirecTV would look better I'm sure but they would also cost more. Since we have FiOS as our primary TV provider, we would receive most of the MLB EI games in inferior SD feeds, so the Roku is a really good option for us.

Currently the Roku does not offer the ability to jump to specific innings in the archived games, you just have to fast forward through them. MLB.TV is marked as "Beta" in the interface though so maybe they'll add this feature later.

As to my connection, I have FiOS with 20/10. For me, the Roku will stream HD content with a wired or wireless connection, though the wired connection is a little faster (14 versus 18 seconds to start the stream).

I'm not sure what the minimum connection speed is for receiving HD streams via the Roku. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was 5mbps, but I'm really not sure. You could always contact Roku though.

As an out of market Yankees fan, my wife is going to absolutely love being able to watch her team on the Roku.

Edited by Reaper, 12 August 2009 - 12:09 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

The mlb.tv holds no interest to me. I watch the Yankees, every inning of every game. If I were to bet on games, then I could see it, but baseball is too unpredictable to bet on.

I've got more than a half dozen major and minor league stadiums within reach of my home and have no interest in them. I don't even watch the playoffs or the World Series if the Yankees are not in them.

Don't get the idea that I don't like baseball in all it's forms. I played for a long time and have been a Yankees fan since I was nine. I've tried to live my life as if it were a baseball game and have been quite successful with that philosophy. I've been a coach, a manager and an umpire. And, most importantly, a Yankees fan. That's why I got D* service in the first place.

Notice the avatar?

Rich

LOL yeah bus just think of the success you could of had if you had been a Red Sox fan this whole time?:D

#33 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

All I really care about is PQ, which you know you'll get with any BD player. I would happily buy the Roku, in fact, that's why I spent so much time reading the very disappointing reviews of the Roku. Seems as if that's taking a step backwards.

But, to give the Roku folks credit, it wasn't that long ago that I did some research on the Roku and found out it only output stereo and not even 5.1 DTS. Now, on their website, they state that 5.1 DTS is being streamed. If they can get the PQ up and keep the price down, I'll probably buy one.

Rich

I agree on the PQ. One more point in Roku's favor is that it is small enough that you can also travel with it. If you carry a small router and a laptop you can hook it up to a hotel tv and watch on the road.

#34 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

The DD does work i found it by accident.I was checking my audio settings and found a new setting for 5.1 surround.I didn't find any content on Netflix that worked but when i went to Amazon and played the free first two of Grand Tereno The DD light came on, sounded pretty good.

#35 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

I agree on the PQ. One more point in Roku's favor is that it is small enough that you can also travel with it. If you carry a small router and a laptop you can hook it up to a hotel tv and watch on the road.

What do you need the laptop for? We have traveled with the Roku, it will connect in to many hotel wireless services and TVs. No router or laptop required.

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

LOL yeah bus just think of the success you could of had if you had been a Red Sox fan this whole time?:D

I've been a Yankees fan for longer than most of you have been alive. Think of the successful seasons I've seen that have led to World Series titles. Or just World Series appearances. The last few years have just been a glitch. :lol:

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

My cable carrier (Cablevision) has a deal that allows you to watch streaming video of games as they are played on the Yes Network on a laptop. I don't travel much and on vacations Yankees games are all I care about. 19.95 a month (ideal for a two week vacation) or 49.99 for the whole season. Very convenient and all I have to do to qualify for it is have one of the three bundled packages and I have a Cablevision modem, which qualifies.

Sure beats hanging out over a balcony trying to pick up the game on a radio. :lol:

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

I've been a Yankees fan for longer than most of you have been alive. Think of the successful seasons I've seen that have led to World Series titles. Or just World Series appearances. The last few years have just been a glitch. :lol:

Rich

I enjoy the Red Sox vs Yankees wars. You guys may have won the last few but we still have the series lead for the season. With any luck we will meet up in the post season.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

Costco just mailed us a coupon book that contains a coupon for $30 off that Sammy BD player. Today I received a check from my credit card company for a credit of just over $50. I think I'll be buying that Sammy next Monday. Just to stream NetFlix.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

I enjoy the Red Sox vs Yankees wars. You guys may have won the last few but we still have the series lead for the season. With any luck we will meet up in the post season.

So that chair with the Colts logo on it is just a beard, huh? :lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...