Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watching Recordings while Service Suspended

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DavidsonDuke

DavidsonDuke

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

We're going to suspend DirecTV for the beginning of the school year for 2 or more months. However, we have a number of recordings on our HR22 that we'd like to watch during that period. Is that possible, or is the HR20 unusable?

Will the OTR antenna wouldn't work either if we needed to watch during bad weather or the like (I assume not)?

Thanks so much.

Edited by DavidsonDuke, 11 August 2009 - 12:54 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

You're going to be "dead in the water".
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

You could always drop to family instead of suspending if it's economics or you could setup locks and limits if it's due to wanting kids to focus on school and not watch tv while they get into a school routine.

#4 OFFLINE   cowart

cowart

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

Will the OTR antenna wouldn't work either if we needed to watch during bad weather or the like (I assume not)?

You could connect the OTA antenna directly to the TV for viewing at any time. That's the way we used to do it back in the day...

#5 OFFLINE   DavidsonDuke

DavidsonDuke

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

Our DTV doesn't have an HD tuner, it requires a box of some sort.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

Our DTV doesn't have an HD tuner, it requires a box of some sort.

If its a HR20 then it has the ATSC tuners for an OTA antenna to hook to it.

#7 OFFLINE   DavidsonDuke

DavidsonDuke

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

If its a HR20 then it has the ATSC tuners for an OTA antenna to hook to it.

Right. That was the point of the question. Can I use the ATSC tuner when I have the service suspended in case we want to watch local channels at some point.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

Right. That was the point of the question. Can I use the ATSC tuner when I have the service suspended in case we want to watch local channels at some point.

nope
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

nope

This is why I got a coupon for the converter box when the government was passing them out. It only cost me $10 for a converter from Best Buy and I now have an option for over the air if my receiver is dead in the water.

The little converter box works good for those without ASTC tuners...

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

It probably wouldnt work without the guide working. I doubt the guide would work without an active account. Sounds like a converter box is needed. I got one even though I have a HR20. I looked at it this way. When I need the 3rd tuner this year I will just hook my antenna to the converter box and then use the DVR for the other shows. Should work just fine except for the pausing and the rewinding I am accustomed to. I for one really want a DVR with 4 tuners built into it.

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:44 AM

When an account is suspended the receiver won't work at all. I have heard that if the DVR is disconnected from satellite before service is suspended you may be able to watch what’s already recorded. However, that doesn’t last and if the DVR is restarted for any reason that capability may go away.

I’m making an assumption here but it seems you’re limited to using Parental Controls to limit viewing times or connect an antenna to the tuner on your TV. You could set it so that it won’t output anything without unlocking it.

Hope this helps. If not feel free to ask. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#12 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

This doesn't help with your question about watching programs on a suspended account, but is an option while your account is suspended.

If you want to watch OTA and have HD DVR capability, you could purchase the DTVPal HD DVR. It cost $250 upfront, but you own it and there are no monthlies. As far as I know, its the only HD DVR that records OTA. The only drawbacks are that it only has a 3 mo warranty and its still being refined.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

It probably wouldnt work without the guide working. I doubt the guide would work without an active account. Sounds like a converter box is needed. I got one even though I have a HR20. I looked at it this way. When I need the 3rd tuner this year I will just hook my antenna to the converter box and then use the DVR for the other shows. Should work just fine except for the pausing and the rewinding I am accustomed to. I for one really want a DVR with 4 tuners built into it.

There's no probably about it. No service .. No OTA. Best/cheapest route is a converter box (preferably one with ATSC out, but those likely cost more) or if you happen to have a stack of DVDs and a player, you may end up just watching movies for a couple of months.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

You could probably pick up an HR10-250 pretty cheap on ebay. You can use the OTA tuner on those just fine without a subscription, plus you'll actually get the signal in HD, whereas with a digital converter box you'd only get an SD signal. You'll also have dual live buffers available, allowing you to pause/rewind/ffwd live TV. You would need to hook up your satellite inputs to it to get the guide data, though.

#15 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

There are a couple of older D* receivers (not DVRs) that will also work without sat service and might be available cheaply on E-bay: Samsung's 160 and 360, and the RCA DTC-100. There may be others, but I've owned these three. All work for OTA without connection to a satellite.

SMK

#16 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

i can confirm what does not work on HR20 unactivated... Everything except media share...

I have a deactivated one at home right now and only thing it can do is media share
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#17 OFFLINE   MrAP

MrAP

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

I have a SD-DVR (HDVR2 -- the DirecTV TiVo) and it was disconnected from the sat and phone before cancelling service last week. It is still working for playing previously recorded shows.

Do the comments in this thread mean that the HR22/23's will not work in that way (although that day is two years away for me!)?

Thanks.

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

I have a SD-DVR (HDVR2 -- the DirecTV TiVo) and it was disconnected from the sat and phone before cancelling service last week. It is still working for playing previously recorded shows.

Do the comments in this thread mean that the HR22/23's will not work in that way (although that day is two years away for me!)?

Thanks.

If it were disconnected from the satellite and phone/internet you may be able to watch previously recorded programs. How long is the question.

Not to mention that if you don’t return the deactivated leased receiver in a timely manner you get whacked with a $470 non-returned HD DVR fee...unless you own it, then it’s not a problem. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

Thanks.

Correct. All of the non-DirecTV branded DVR's will work without service in that you can watch old recorded content. The HR10's also allow you use of the OTA tuner without service. The DirecTV branded DVR's have software built-in that prevent the use of the DVR when service is cut off. This can sometimes be prevented for a short time by disconnecting the satellite input cables to the DVR prior to having service shut-off.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#20 OFFLINE   RCY

RCY

Godfather

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

D* decided not to allow folks to watch recorded content without an active account to prevent exactly what you're doing. Unfortunately, there's no way to solve the current dilemma, but aside from what has been suggested in the thread so far, you have two other options for the future.

1) If you can use an antenna to get local TV, you could spend ~$250 for a DTVpal DVR that records OTA programming without a monthly service fee. There is a discussion group over at AVSforum that you can peruse to get the lowdown on that option. Any recordings you make are yours to watch whenever you want without a monthly fee. Unfortunately, if there are programs on USA, SyFy, <name your fav cable channel>, you won't be able to get those programs using this method.

2) If you have a PC with enough horsepower, you could dump the HR2x for a simple D* HD receiver and use a Happaugue HD PVR to record the HD component output onto your PC, using some PC application like BeyondTV, SageTV, etc. Then you also have access to the recordings to watch at your convience. Discontinue D* whenever you want, you still have the recordings. Requires that you have a PC with the horsepower and buying a HD PVR capture device. (a little less than $200) I'm considering this once my last surviving SD DVR dies. (but at least I can discontinue D* and still watch the recordings)

Between this and ink cartridges that disable the printer with smart chips after an "expiration date", I'm getting pretty disgusted with where the consumer electronics industry is going. :nono2:

Edited by RCY, 12 August 2009 - 01:43 PM.
added to 1st sentance "without an active account"

Setup:

1 VIP 612
1 VIP 211k, hooked to HTPC via Hauppauge HD-PVR
1 HDVR2 w/280 hours (discontinued service 10/2/10)
1 DSR 704 w/320 hours (quit working 6/6/09)
4 HTPCs w/ 6 HD tuners - 4 TB of HD storage

spam firewall