Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* Channel Groupings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 04:25 PM

Is there a reason why D* doesn't group their channels together the way E* does, i.e. all news channel together, all movie channel together, etc. ?

I just switched and other than this I'm very happy. My new Sony SAT 200 receiver gives a great picture on both OTA HD and satellite HD.

Just wondering!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:18 PM

Yes I have asked Directv several times in e-mails and on the phone and I have never received even a credible answer from either source. I guess they don't care what the customer thinks about their lineup. That is one big advantage to Dish's guide: its organized and doesnot have all those cluttered station symbols, etc, muking up the guide. :D

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:04 PM

Wait till Rupe takes control you'll see FNC up in the 200s quicker than you can snap your fingers.:D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:29 PM

DirecTV is LONG overdue for a channel realignment. Their arrangement of their channels is almost as bad as my local cable company (which looks like it was done with a dart board).
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 10:59 PM

When I signed on with Directv 6-7 years ago, the channels were grouped together much better. I even found one of the original channel guide helps that came with my first receiver and it had the groupings defined along with their channel ranges.

But when you add literally dozens of channels over the years, you have to assume that there's going to be some hit-and-miss when it comes to channel placement. A channel re-alignment would help but I'm sure they're not going to mess with it unless a lot of people complain. It's a bit of an annoyance, I agree, but I can live with it for now.

By the way, in regards to the earlier post that mentioned all of the station logos cluttering the channel guide, I believe that's more of an issue for the manufacturer of the receiver, not Directv. I recently hooked up a Philips receiver for my boss and it had no logos on the guide. I also have a Sony receiver that doesn't put logos down with the show descriptions and it has a very clean listing.

#6 OFFLINE   DS0816

DS0816

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:15 AM

If DirecTV ever expands its premium channels lineup -- HBOs, Cinemaxes, Showtimes, Starzes! and Encores, et al. -- to the level of digital cable's (multiscreens galore!), they'll have to do a channel realignment. That's because there are dozens upon dozens of these multiscreens that add up, and a 100-channel neighborhood (in DirecTV's case, the 500s) isn't enough to contain them all.

Something else that I wanna mention: the home-shopping services are sporadically placed (Shop at Home on 234; Home Shopping Network on 240; QVC on 317; America's Collectibles Network on 367; ShopNBC on 370; not to mention others that pop up occasionally), I'd like to see them all in the same neighborhood. (Something tells me there are contractual issues between cable and satellite services and their agreements with the programmers that cover, among other things, channel locations; e.g. CNN is not anywhere near Fox News Channel of MSNBC, and QVC and HSN are so far apart they might as well be considered bitter enemies.)

#7 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 11:23 AM

I would suspect some of the placement is an attempt to catch your attention when you are moving through channels, too. For example, putting shopping channels scattered everywhere is more likely to catch the attention of people who don't usually specifically tune to shopping channels... you catch a glimpse, even in the guide, you might otherwise not ever see if they were all together someplace.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#8 OFFLINE   Smoot

Smoot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:24 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really like the logos on my Hughes receiver, and it certainly beats E*'s bland grayscale look. My kids know to find the "logo" and to look what's on it. Brand recognition.

Yes, I'd like to see a channel realignment in the future, but I've almost memorized (after 3 months) the key channels I'll go to . . . or, I'll get pretty darned close. I guess that's the benefit of the "Turbo" button.

#9 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:26 PM

Among other reasons, DirecTV is paid to carry certain channels in certain places. As are many cable companies.

CNN, CourTV, and ESPN actually charge less per month if they are on the "low channels". ESPN even dicates the order they come in (Mothership, News, Classic, 2) . Likewise the home shopping scamers want to be mixed into the regular line up in a random manner. If they were all the, say 270s, then we would just make jokes about the 270s and skip them all.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:51 PM

If they were all the, say 270s, then we would just make jokes about the 270s and skip them all.

Kind of like E* :) I prefer it that way, shopping in the 220s, PI in the 9400s, two areas to avoid.

DirecTVs line up does have me saying, what were they thinking, and I like E*s better, but I suppose after you have the service for a while you get used to it. I can't remember, when DirecTV had the channel realignment after the USSB buy out, did they redo the entire line up or just move the USSB offered premiums from the 900s to the 500s?
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#11 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 04:42 PM

How hard is it to switch the channels around? Dish did it in the past and will probably do it again in the future so why can't Directv? That is one thing Dish actually does better than Directv ; the guide looks better and is organized in groups, news, variety, movies,payperviews.

Maybe Rupert will do this when he gets his buyout done of Directv.

#12 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 08:45 PM

D* and USSB both realigned once or twice, and still had channels on both numbers for months. Moving the channels around isn't the problem. The reaction of the subscribers is the real problem. I agree, when News Corp buys D*, they probably will do a huge realignment.

#13 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 09:17 PM

Kind of like E* :) I prefer it that way, shopping in the 220s, PI in the 9400s, two areas to avoid.

Shopping channels, Check.
PI Channels, Check

What do I want? PI Channels. :D

Really, PI channels are interesting sometimes, and you should check them out once in awhile.
Do you DVR?

#14 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 09:37 PM

I avoid the 9400s at all costs, boring monotone talking heads, lackluster lectures, religious preaching, educational stuff, no thanks. FSTV is good for laughs now and then with people making total idiots of themselves over some asinine causes. That's one thing I will not miss about E*, hordes of public interest channels, with a few more being added each winter.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...