Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Media Heavyweights Take On Nielsen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

There's the rub - TV is inherently a passive activity. How do you get people to actively report their viewing habits when all they want to do is sit on the couch and vegetate?

Most normal Neilsen ratings require no regular active participation. In every broadcast they embed signals in the audio and video that the neisen box can pick up and it phones home. The only time they use diaries is as a supplement during the 4 sweeps weeks each year.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

Nielsen uses scientific samples, not random samples.
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,125 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

From MediaDailyNews:

Nielsen Co. has invested more than $1 billion in research and development related to a so-called "three screen" - TV, computer and mobile - measurement strategy over the past three years, CEO Vice Chairman Susan Whiting said in a communiqué sent to clients Monday in response to published reports about an industry consortium that plans to launch a new three-screen measurement system this fall.

"While our company policy is not to respond to speculation or future announcements, we have been in direct contact with many of our clients, including some cited in the original article," Whiting wrote in reference to the story first published late last week by the Financial Times that some of Nielsen's biggest customers - the major U.S. TV networks, agencies and big advertisers such as Procter & Gamble and Unilever - are part of the consortium.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall