Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR to hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   barb1236

barb1236

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

Have a dish dvr VIP622 and bought a 250g hard drive to record programs on that are recorded on the dvr. The dvr doesn't recognize the hard drive. Strange because I can put in a flash drive and it recognizes that I have put something in the usb port.

What must I do to get the hard drive recognized by the dvr and then record from the dvr to the hard drive?:(:rolleyes:)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

You have to call Dish and have that option added (and pay the $40 fee to do so).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

It recognizes a flash drive because you can put pictures off a flash drive onto the DVR's drive.

Also the EHD has to be reformatted (if this is a used drive with FAT or NTFS it will have to be wiped and reformatted to Dish' specifications). This will happen automatically after you agree to pay the one time $39.95 fee. The 800# to call shows up on the screen saver as one of the messages that float across the screen when the 622 is turned off.

Not all EHD's are compatible with a ViP DVR. I use a Seagate 1.5TB (which is larger than they recommend but it works). A compatible drive has to be fast enough to playback programming directly off the drive. It also has to be a single platter drive (i.e. not spanned). If you record mainly HD programming a 250gb drive will fill up before you know it.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

"It also has to be a single platter drive " -> quite incorrect.

Should be stated as single LUN drive, ie one spindle type.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...