Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Streaming to TV from Computer via HDMI output

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

I would like feedback from users who have laptop computers and are streaming 'HD quality' content using HDMI out to their TV.
What I'm thinking of doing is streaming from Netflix and MLB.com. I am in the market for a new laptop and noticed many now have HDMI out. I've also looked into a ROKU box and have read good positive feedback, at present the ROKU streams @ 720P which is fine with me.
So if anyone is currently streaming content from their laptop using HDMI please let me know your experience with it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

You can use the HDMI output to deliver content to an external monitor. You won't be streaming anything though. You are simply delivering the picture that would be on your laptops screen to a external monitor. If it works on your computer, you can see it on the screen.

I would like feedback from users who have laptop computers and are streaming 'HD quality' content using HDMI out to their TV.
What I'm thinking of doing is streaming from Netflix and MLB.com. I am in the market for a new laptop and noticed many now have HDMI out. I've also looked into a ROKU box and have read good positive feedback, at present the ROKU streams @ 720P which is fine with me.
So if anyone is currently streaming content from their laptop using HDMI please let me know your experience with it.

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

Some HDTV's have a VGA input on them. If not, if your computer has a DVI output, you can get a DVI-to-HDMI adapter (about $4 at monoprice.com). Either way, you'll be using the TV as a big monitor. It works great.

#4 OFFLINE   KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

You can use the HDMI output to deliver content to an external monitor. You won't be streaming anything though. You are simply delivering the picture that would be on your laptops screen to a external monitor. If it works on your computer, you can see it on the screen.

OK, now that I've been corrected on the way I worded this (always someone out there to do this), is anybody 'watching' content on their TV from a laptop via HDMI?

Edited by KCCardsfan, 15 August 2009 - 02:39 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Some HDTV's have a VGA input on them. If not, if your computer has a DVI output, you can get a DVI-to-HDMI adapter (about $4 at monoprice.com). Either way, you'll be using the TV as a big monitor. It works great.

Thanks. Currently using the VGA from my old laptop, and yes it just looks like a big monitor. I'd like to know users feedback on HDMI and if the 'HD quality' is actually HD quality.

Edited by KCCardsfan, 15 August 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

Subject to the capability of your video card, yes it will be HD.

Thanks. Currently using the VGA from my old laptop, and yes it just looks like a big monitor. I'd like to know users feedback on HDMI and if the 'HD quality' is actually HD quality.

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

OK, now that I've been corrected on the way I worded this (always someone out there to do this), is anybody 'watching' content on their TV from a laptop via HDMI?

Sure. I have an HP DV9000-series with a Blu-Ray player and HDMI output. I often play Blu-Rays with it on people's HDTVs that don't own (and usually have never seen) a Blu-Ray player. Works great, looks fantastic. Essentially the TV is just a huge monitor for the computer. I have a long HDMI cable and a female-to-female coupler, so I can sit on the couch and use the TV's screen as a monitor too.

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

I've seen posts at AVSforum that not all laptops output audio over the HDMI connection, so you'll have to test that.

As others have noted, hooking your TV up to your laptop via HDMI really only gives you a second "monitor" and assuming there are no restrictions in your streaming software, you will be able to drag your streaming player from your laptop screen to the TV and watch
it full-screen there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...