Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Delete Group deleted all recordings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

I have a vip722k and thought I was deleting one group of shows. (Had about 30 hours of recorded programs). When it was done I had 55 hours (HD) free and all recordings were gone. I searched but didn't find much except "no" - is there any way to recover deleted show? Thanks.
-GA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Short answer is there is no way to un-delete shows. On a side not, I was not aware you could delete a group of shows. Guess I never tried.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

I wanted to delete a group the other day and couldn't... discovered that the "delete" only applies to groups you create and not the auto-group by title ones.

That said... I am never sure whether delete group deletes the recordings OR just removes the grouping.

In either case, it shouldn't delete other recordings that were not part of the group.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

I wanted to delete a group the other day and couldn't... discovered that the "delete" only applies to groups you create and not the auto-group by title ones.

That said... I am never sure whether delete group deletes the recordings OR just removes the grouping.

In either case, it shouldn't delete other recordings that were not part of the group.

I was playing around with the Mygroups after I got 6.22 and I wanted to delete a group. It was empty so I knew I wouldn't lose anything. High lighted, clicked Delete and up pops a little option box that asked if I wanted to Delete Group and Recordings, Delete Group Only, Cancel. Words may not be exactly right because this old man has slept a couple of nights since then :P but you get the idea I hope.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#5 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

It would be nice if you had a Recycle bin like you do in Windows where you have a chance to undelete programs. Those programs wouldn't be overwritten until the space is needed to record new programs.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#6 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:52 AM

Right. When you start to delete a group you get a popup where you can select to delete only the group or the group and the contnets. However, I did one a few minutes ago and the option to delete group and contents could not be selected for some reason.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#7 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

Right. When you start to delete a group you get a popup where you can select to delete only the group or the group and the contnets. However, I did one a few minutes ago and the option to delete group and contents could not be selected for some reason.

As I said I deleted an empty group so I had no problems. I haven't played with it again so I don't know if this matters or not. Could one or more of the programs in that group have been protected?

#8 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

Whatever I did - I had a group open (all the episodes in the group were showing). I chose "select all" and all the episodes in the group were then checked. The other groups on the screen had no indication that I had selected anything other than the episodes in the one group. I then chose delete and in just a few seconds all 30 hours of recorded programming was wiped out.

I'm guessing that if I would have expanded/opened another group after choosing select all, I might have seen that all the episodes in that group were checked as well.

However deleting all happened - if there was some way to recover deleted shows would have made my day.

But....it's only television. :D
-GA

#9 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

But....it's only television. :D

That's a pretty good attitude to have :grin:. And there's always reruns, right? Plus if they were recent episodes of series maybe you can find them on the network site or hulu.

#10 OFFLINE   sand0161

sand0161

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

Is this possible on vip722? If so, what are the steps?

Thanks! Sandy

#11 OFFLINE   paraloma

paraloma

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

I deleted a group of shows and it wiped out all of my recordings. This has happened to my brother's DVR also. I have the 722 and really wish I would have known it would wipe them all out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...