Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Transponder Map + OTA Data of 8/15/09

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

The attachments to this post cover all DIRECTV Channels and Transponders, both CONUS (Continental US or National beams) and LIL (Local Into Local or Spot beams).

Two PDF documents provide the data for DIRECTV Satellites at the 72.5W, 95W, 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W positions, sorted two ways:

• A full listing in Network Number sequence
  • A full listing in Channel Name sequence
Three supplemental documents are also provided:

• A Network-Market-DMA Networklist cross-reference sheet. This information is particularly useful in understanding the LIL data.
  • A Network Decoder map showing the satellites and transponders graphically as they appear on your receiver's signal strength display.
  • And for those of you who prefer to work with the data in Excel, a file roll_your_own.xls is provided.

All documents are fully unprotected so you may copy and use the data as you wish.

EDIT 9/17/09: The attachments have been deleted to save space. Please see the new thread in this forum for the most current data.

Edited by gct, 17 September 2009 - 08:15 PM.
separated OTA and LIL from other reports

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Once again, we all owe Doctor J. for his dedication in capturing all this data for us.

Also: Unless there is interest reflected in the OTA data included in these tables, beginning next month the OTA data will no longer be included. If the OTA is of value, please speak up.

#3 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

Thank you so very much for this :)

#4 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

Thank you for the information. However, has anyone done a map of the actual spot beam coverage patterns? I would find that information very useful.

#5 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

Thank you for the information. However, has anyone done a map of the actual spot beam coverage patterns? I would find that information very useful.

Here's an example of the coming D12 spot beam patterns: HERE

#6 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,441 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Unless there is interest reflected in the OTA data included in these tables, beginning next month the OTA data will no longer be included. If the OTA is of value, please speak up.

My Suggestion would be to separate the OTA data and keep a file of the OTA only Network info.
We could update this 2 to 4 times per year. Since the digital transition is complete I doubt this list changes much except for routine business shifts on a month to month basis.

I would also suggest that the master list be divided into 4 parts reflecting Conus and LIL groupings and KU (older SD) and KA (newer, more volatile HD) listings.

The list of KA-LIL channels could be updated monthly, and the others maybe quarterly.

Any requests???

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#7 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

Okay, Doctor J.,

Here's the implementation of part 1 of your suggestions:

• In the original post, we now have an 'ota_only' pdf file.

• The 'by_channelname' and 'by_networknum' pdf files are now satellite info only, with all OTA data removed.

#8 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,441 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

You are "smoking"!!!:)

Spotbeam Maps.
Updated Transponder Lists.
When do you sleep??

Thanks for the great work!!:):):)

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#9 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

Am I readying the charts right?
I see the Denver HD Locals on COnus Beams for both 103 and 99

How can this be?

Sat 103 transponders 15,23

SAT 99 ALSO 15, AND 23
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#10 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

Am I readying the charts right?
I see the Denver HD Locals on COnus Beams for both 103 and 99

How can this be?

Sat 103 transponders 15,23

SAT 99 ALSO 15, AND 23

You are of course correct, you don't get double spot beam signals for all of your HD locals from two different satellites.

Checking back, your HD locals for Denver have been shown as duplicated in our reports since at least March, 2009. That is - your HD locals have been shown on both D10 at 103WL and D11 at 99WL.

If you will check the Signal Strength display on your receiver, you may find out very quickly which one of these two sats are actually beaming to Denver at this moment in time. I can only guess that your channels are being transitioned from one sat to the other. I have no idea why that would drag on for months, though.

I'll try to dredge up old data to see what single sat your HD channels used to be on.

#11 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

Both sets are at the same level.

On the old Tivos you used to be able to a local channel then go to the Signal meter and it would default to the transponder the channels was on.

Is there a way to tell what channel is on a transponder on a HR2x HD DVR?

#12 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Making some adjustments in preparation for next month's data capture.

Going forward our scheme will be:

• Provide all the OTA data as a stand alone pdf which is updated perhaps twice a year.

• Provide all the LIL data as a stand alone pdf which is updated perhaps twice a year.

• Provide all the CONUS data as two formatted pdf files, each a different sort of the CONUS data. These will be updated each month.

• Provide the most current versions of the 'networklist' and the 'network_decoder' each month.
During periods of high volatility, for example new sats coming online, we may need to update all the data reports on a monthly basis.

Edited by gct, 31 August 2009 - 01:33 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

You are of course correct, you don't get double spot beam signals for all of your HD locals from two different satellites.

Checking back, your HD locals for Denver have been shown as duplicated in our reports since at least March, 2009. That is - your HD locals have been shown on both D10 at 103WL and D11 at 99WL.

If you will check the Signal Strength display on your receiver, you may find out very quickly which one of these two sats are actually beaming to Denver at this moment in time. I can only guess that your channels are being transitioned from one sat to the other. I have no idea why that would drag on for months, though.

I'll try to dredge up old data to see what single sat your HD channels used to be on.

The Denver HD locals have been transmitted on two satellites for quite a while now (for nearly two years), it's not a temporary or "transition" situation. It's because DirecTV did not have a single spotbeam that would cover the whole of the DMA.

I believe there are effectively "Denver north" and "Denver South" spotbeams, on different satellites, but I can't remember which sat is for which. .

#14 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

I think this might be true about the Denver Spot Beams. Except I wonder if they are even spot beams? The way I read the chart they both look like Conus to me.

Looking at what there DMA covers, it is TWO STATEs.

I used to live in North West Nebraska which is pretty far away from Denver.

There DMA even today is listed as Denver as no local station ever build there.

#15 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

I have had several PM's asking about forthcoming HD locals for the Huntington, WV area. That is Network 545, Market #34. This will answer you all at one time!

Attached is the data as of a 9/3/09 capture:

#16 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!!!

#17 OFFLINE   buloya

buloya

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

For me is not possible to get the information for pdf archive, how i can do it?

#18 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

For me is not possible to get the information for pdf archive, how i can do it?

Go to adobe.com and download the free Adobe Reader software.

#19 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

This thread is now closed. Please refer to the new thread in this forum providing the most current data.

Thanks!
gct

Protected By... spam firewall...And...