Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

amount rewind at the end of FF 1x more than in the past

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

I have posted this in one of the issues thread a while back, but am making a thread of its own because football season is around and I am hoping this gets fixed before then ( and confirmation that I am not the only one seeing this).

So for about some months now, when I FF 1X, and hit play, it backs up more than it did last year for example. I use this a lot to go between plays of a recorded baseball or football game, and its annoying now because if I stop at exactly where I would last year, it backs up 2-3 seconds more than I would like.

Anyone else see this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   calidelphia

calidelphia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

I was logging on to start this very same thread.

I wish it didn't autocorrect FF1 at all...

For a while it was just a stutter or 1 second back. Now after counting the seconds, it's about 4 1/2. Way too much. It's very irritating trying to FF between pitches in a baseball game. This will also annoy the hell out of me during football season.

They need to axe this immediately. If you can't stop where you want on FF1, you probably have a vision problem.

#3 OFFLINE   ddockery

ddockery

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

I just noticed this between pitches as well. Very annoying.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure of this .. As far as I know, the autocorrect is the same that it always has been.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   calidelphia

calidelphia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

I'm not sure of this .. As far as I know, the autocorrect is the same that it always has been.

Doug, I remember back when autocorrect was first implemented. A bunch of us whined that FF1 jumped back too far. About six months later it was changed.

#6 OFFLINE   calidelphia

calidelphia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

Here's a link to an old thread stating so.

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Doug, I remember back when autocorrect was first implemented. A bunch of us whined that FF1 jumped back too far. About six months later it was changed.

Perhaps "always" wasn't really the term I was shooting for here .. :grin:

I don't think that this feature has been tweaked since it was initially stabilized .. how's that? :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   e500

e500

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

I agree with the first two posts. It definitely backs up too much and is irritating for me also. They did fix it some months ago to where it backed up very little. Now whether intentionally or not they have changed it to where it backs up even more than I ever remember it doing so before. In my opinion, at 1x FF it shouldn't back up at all.

#9 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

I too agree with OP. I wish we could get D* to remove the auto-correct altogether for 1x -- it's so frustrating to deal with that I sometimes think my head will explode.

#10 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

Yes, I experience that as well. This isn't a fix, but a workaround I use. When you use FF1, instead of pressing <Play>, press <Pause>, then <Play>. It seems to only rewind about a second that way. So it stops at the right spot, but still causes you to wait a couple seconds while you do the extra step.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,101 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

I agree it would be nice if the auto correct would be removed for 1X, but I would also like to see them back off the auto correct on the other speeds too. Always seems to jump back farther than I can get used to.

#12 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

I don't think that this feature has been tweaked since it was initially stabilized .. how's that? :)

I am very sure that's not the case. Here is my post from earlier this year in the specific release where I noticed this change first: back in April.

http://www.dbstalk.c...959#post2061959

Also see this other thread on the same issue:

http://www.dbstalk.c...378#post2108378

#13 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

I, too, am not a fan of autocorrect for FF1 but the post above using pause as an intermediate step is the way around it (for now). That method using pause instead of play when stopping FF works to prevent autocorrect for any FF speed. I use it a lot. My recollection is that this technique, i.e. pause canceling autocorrect, was the way TiVo implemented autocorrect, and a few NRs ago, D* changed to the same way.

SMK

#14 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:38 AM

I agree, the 1x should not have an autocorrect. I remember it being that way before, but has since changed. I'm not sure why it would autocorrect at such a slow speed anyway. And we should not have to push 2 buttons for such a simple thing.

#15 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Yes, I experience that as well. This isn't a fix, but a workaround I use. When you use FF1, instead of pressing <Play>, press <Pause>, then <Play>. It seems to only rewind about a second that way. So it stops at the right spot, but still causes you to wait a couple seconds while you do the extra step.

RACJ2, thanks for the tip, I tried it last night, and I think it'll work for me. I wonder if it would work in a macro on a universal remote.

#16 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

RACJ2, thanks for the tip, I tried it last night, and I think it'll work for me. I wonder if it would work in a macro on a universal remote.

No reason it shouldn't.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#17 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

Your welcome and thanks for your idea. I'll have to see if a macro will work.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#18 OFFLINE   calidelphia

calidelphia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

No reason it shouldn't.

- Merg

Except for the fact that some of us have HRs with brutally slow UIs that don't see all button presses. Sequences on my Harmony One are useless with this box.:(

#19 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

I was able to set up a macro for the <Pause> then <Play> and it works perfect. Thanks again!

Also, I was able to set this up on my Harmony as well. After reading other posts about Harmony remotes and sequences, I learned something. My 659 can do macros, they just call them sequences. I think this feature may have been added on one of the software updates I downloaded, since I first got my Harmony remote.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

I agree, the 1x should not have an autocorrect. I remember it being that way before, but has since changed. I'm not sure why it would autocorrect at such a slow speed anyway. And we should not have to push 2 buttons for such a simple thing.

Agreed. I'm bumping this to hopefully help get it on their radar.

How about fixing this, DTV? We would have to be asleep, mentally challenged, and blind drunk to need this amount of autocorrect. Stop worrying about "UI polishing" and "faster restarts" and concentrate on the nuts and bolts features we all depend on every day to NOT CHANGE to some ridiculous new setting.

While no change may have been made to it, the fact remains that it is way too large now compared to what it was, so possibly some other change precipitated this, which is not an excuse not to fix it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...