Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Galvanic skin responses and eye tracking while "skipping" and "FF"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,554 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

So I'm reading an interview of Horst Stipp, the Senior VP - Strategic Insights & Innovation for NBCU when I read this paragraph:

We did, at the time, a very innovative study on galvanic skin responses and eye tracking measures to establish that, when people see commercials, they time shift and fast-forward. They still get a lot of information, even though they are watching in fast-forward, because they are very much focused on the screen, and apparently the brain is ‘hard wired’ to make sense out of what is in front of you, even in fast forward. So that was an interesting new methodology.

Hmmmm........:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

you only "think" you're ff'ing thru the commercials...

http://www2.bc.edu/~..._BraselGips.pdf
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#3 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

No, I don't think I'm FF'ing, because I'm 30SKIPing! :)

#4 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

We did, at the time, a very innovative study on galvanic skin responses and eye tracking measures to establish that, when people see commercials, they time shift and fast-forward. They still get a lot of information, even though they are watching in fast-forward, because they are very much focused on the screen, and apparently the brain is ‘hard wired’ to make sense out of what is in front of you, even in fast forward. So that was an interesting new methodology.

I think Universal is one of the movie studios that now, on the TV ads for their movies, keeps the title of the movie and the opening date at the top of the screen through the entire thing. That's certainly one way to keep the information in front of the viewer even in fast-forward mode, and I wonder if it's an idea that came out of this research.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#5 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

We FF on commercials and if there is something that looks interesting or a product we are interested in, we have no problem dropping out to watch.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

I noticed a really good trick last night when we were ff'ing through AGT. An Orville Redenbacher add used video of the show as the backdrop to their add. So instictively I pressed play when I saw the video start up. When I came out of FFWD I heard the message "We invite you to enjoy a great big bowl of Orville Redenbacher popcorn while you sit back and watch America's Got Talent..." or something tho that effect. Very clever...
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#7 OFFLINE   TomH

TomH

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

As long as they believe commercials are still working they won't try to do anything about preventing FF or skipping. I maybe see the first couple of seconds of the first commercial or the last few seconds of the last one. I hit the skip forward button about 6 times and the 10s skip back once to get to the show. I can say I see nothing in between. If they think I'm getting anythiing out of it then that's fine with me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...