Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Harrisburg OTA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jci-joe

jci-joe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

I live in the Mechanicsburg Area and wondered if anyone in that area has been able to get Baltimore or Philly locals with an OTA antenna? I had an omnidirectional in my old house in Hampden township and was able to get 2, 11 and 13 from Baltimore with pretty good signal. I now cannot get any of them since the recent changes in channel numbers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Looking at Mechanicsburg in general on TVFool.com, it looks very grim. Once you get out of the local area, the signals drop to 100dB or below with edges. I'm guessing that reliable reception is not gonna happen.

An omni will not work as ALL of your out-of-market broadcast stations seem to have frequency conflicts.

#3 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

Baltimore is over 60 miles from Mechanicsburg and over a couple of hills, too.

Generic TVFool report for Mechanicsburg shows signal at -19.6 for WBAL 11.1 @ 100 ft agl, not much chance of any kind of reliable reception from there.

You might try a TVFool report for youe exact address and see if any of the Baltimore stations.

WPVI ABC 6 out of Philly is 93 miles away and because it is low VHF even though at 30kW it still shows a -6.0 noise margin (@100 ft) this is also tropospheric reception and not reliable either.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#4 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

I live in the Mechanicsburg Area and wondered if anyone in that area has been able to get Baltimore or Philly locals with an OTA antenna? I had an omnidirectional in my old house in Hampden township and was able to get 2, 11 and 13 from Baltimore with pretty good signal. I now cannot get any of them since the recent changes in channel numbers.

Joe:
I am near Lancaster and can get 3, 10, 17, 29, 35, 57 from Philly all OTA. Tried and tried and can't get 6 at all. No PSIP for them. Nothing. 12 is intermittent.

I think you are probably too far to get the Philly stations as that's over 100 miles.. I can get them but I am just on their fringe.

I can get a few stations from Baltimore, but I have to turn my antennas to the south (right into the WGAL/WPMT) antenna farm and the mountains they are located on. I think I could only get 2 and 13 from Baltimore and another high UHF station.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

An aside, have you noticed WITF's OTA signal doing weird things lately? Monday night, 33.1 was off the air, although their SD feed on D* was still on.

Update - I think I have the answer..

WITF's new 16:9 equipment was installed last week and is now in place to allow them to show 16:9 HD programming. They may have been working on or adjusting the equipment Monday night. Still doesn't explain why D* had the WITF SD feed on the air Monday night, unless they have a fiber feed from WITF. The WITF SD feed D* would be getting would be the HD digital feed converted to SD. Strange.

Edited by n3ntj, 22 August 2009 - 12:32 PM.

DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   jci-joe

jci-joe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

We have just moved to a new house and right now I have no over the air antennas. We did the comcast deal since it was best for now. I hope to get back on Dish but I don't want the antennas mounted on my roof. I will be trying some new OTA antennas to see if any will work and let you know. Thanks for the insight.

#7 OFFLINE   Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

There is nothing worse than a person that doesn't want to listen to simple logic and where I hear the same comment over and over again - where they do not want to pay the cable bill and do not want to put up a outside antenna.

The simple truth is - unless the antenna is high above the roof of the house - say 35 feet, you cannot expect much if anything from a fringe situation.

In that case, I watch television and you don't!

Sometimes we have to loose our high society ways and forget about what looks cool and go with what works.

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

Have you guys experienced some major pixilation issues today and tonite on WGAL (HD feed thru D*)? I've been monitoring WGAL OTA 8-1 on one tuner and D* supplied WGAL HD on the other tuner. The OTA feed is perfectly clean. Other channels I try are ok, too.

#9 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Jerry - if I put up a 35' tower on my townhouse, I'd be lynched by my neighbors. Sure, I have the legal right to do so, but I need to live with these folks.

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

;-)

I am lucky, I have a large field behind my home. The field is outside the development, technically, so I have my 40' tower 30' from the property line. I have a $1 lease per year with the field owner.

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

Also, I've discussed the HD carriage of WLYH with the president of WHP/WLYH TV. She said they have contacted D* about carriage and hasn't gotten too far. I would imagine we may see WITF-HD and WLYH-HD added to our local lineup at some time once D12 is operational.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...