Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Versus on DTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5378 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kryscio23

kryscio23

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Seeing a message on the screen during the Track and Field Championships:

It says that DirecTV has not yet reached an agreement to carry this channel (Versus) and it may not be available after August 31, 2009.

What's up with that?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Seeing a message on the screen during the Track and Field Championships:

It says that DirecTV has not yet reached an agreement to carry this channel (Versus) and it may not be available after August 31, 2009.

What's up with that?

Comcra..., er, Comcast playing hardball...

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

I haven't noticed that yet, but I would be "bummed" if we do lose Versus. They have some college football games I watch and this fall also will be the "home" to the new UFL football league. I wonder if it's Comcast and D* fighting again. I still haven't heard offically if things are resolved with CSN CA/BA and we know that CSN Phillie/NW are not carried on systems outside of Comcast.

#4 OFFLINE   jmudukes07

jmudukes07

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

What the hell?

I'll be so pissed if that happens - although I'm hopeful that the NHL ends up back on ESPN in a year or two anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

Comcra..., er, Comcast playing hardball...

That is basically the exact same thing the NFL Network did to Comcast, run the crawl on the screen "attention Comcast Customers......" Guess they're now doing it to D* customers to try and get them to call D* and complain or switch services. I gotta give Comcast some credit though; here they have added WGN, NBA, NHL, MLB, and ESPN news in the last few weeks in HD.

#6 OFFLINE   jmudukes07

jmudukes07

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

Also, I can't imagine the NHL would be happy about this - because of that I'm not going to worry TOO much yet.

Not sure NHL would appreciate blocking out that many subscribers from most of their nationally televised games.

#7 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Also, I can't imagine the NHL would be happy about this - because of that I'm not going to worry TOO much yet.

Not sure NHL would appreciate blocking out that many subscribers from most of their nationally televised games.

I go along with you on this one. I'm going to take the "glass half-full" route with this for now. We have enough (CI) to deal with (no MSG HD) already :rolleyes:
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#8 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

maybe they'll drop it and add ESPNU HD very sooon and then add VS back when D12 goes live ;)

#9 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

maybe they'll drop it and add ESPNU HD very sooon and then add VS back when D12 goes live ;)

Cool idea! Then when VS looses Directv's 18 million customers maybe Comcast will feel the hurt.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#10 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

Vs. is the essential network for me. I hate the way these providers can add and pull their feeds on us. Most of us are under contract and cannot just switch provders when they play around with the channels. Perhaps the FCC should stop investigating ATT and Sprint for their exclusive iPhone and Pre deals and focus their attention on TV providers doing the same thing?

#11 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

Directv better not pull a Charlie. I'll be very very mad and will take my business elsewhere as soon they turn it off. I'm not with Dish for this very reason.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#12 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

I utilize Google Alerts for DirecTV updates, and one of the links I've recieved earlier had an article that may bring further insight to this discussion. (Please note that I am not allowed to post links since I'm a noob poster, but a longtime lurker)

From nhl.fanhouse.com

-----

Wednesday was the day that the NHL announced their national television schedules for the upcoming season. The league's main United States television partner, Versus, has a slate of 54 games that begins on the first night of NHL play, Oct. 1.

FanHouse has learned, however, that millions of fans might not have access to those games. Major satellite provider DirecTV is in a contract dispute with Versus that threatens to take the network off the service.

DirecTV says their contract with Versus expires Aug. 31, and while they note that negotiations are ongoing, their message to customers makes it clear that the network could be removed from DirecTV if a deal is not reached.

A brief question and answer on DirecTV's website puts the blame for this issue on Versus.

Versus is asking for terms which do not reflect the market and which they are not asking of all other distributors. DIRECTV wants to keep your monthly fees low, so it's doing everything it can to avoid paying exorbitant programming fees.
FanHouse has reached out to both Versus and the NHL for comment, and this post will be updated if either respond. Obviously, the NHL is affected, as they are the main anchor of Versus' programming.

Also impacted are fans of college football. Versus is scheduled to air games out of the Big 12, Pac 10, and Mountain West this fall, starting with Texas at Wyoming Sept. 12.

There are still more than 10 days left before this contract expires. However, in the light of the NHL's improved ratings and overall exposure nationally last year, this is not good news.

----

I really like Versus, but since it is owned by comcass... I'm not suprised one bit about this.

#13 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

I love this channel. WEC all the way.

I will be soooooooooo $%#^#$@ angry if we lose this channel!

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

This will be a major hit to hockey fans like myself. Not good news...

#15 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

This will be a major hit to hockey fans like myself. Not good news...

I hope the blackhawks can find a way to show all there games on CSN if D* drops VS. That are VS only.

GOOD THING that COMCARP only owns about 25% of csn chi and the teams want it on sat and all cables co in Chicago land.

#16 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

As a Canes fan who subscribes to Center Ice, what do I care? They just announced the Versus schedule and it includes ZERO Canes game. Just so it's resolved by the time the playoffs come around. :)
HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

I just can't justify the cost of any of the sports packages. Without Versus...I'm screwed hockey-wise.

#18 OFFLINE   INfield420

INfield420

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yes it would suck if d* lost Versus as they are The network for IRL racing.I am more of a NASCAR fan but still like open wheel racing,hopefully I will be going to the inagural IRL race at Barber Motorsports track in Bham in april.It would be nice to dvr while I am there and come home and watch it like I do the Talladega races

#19 OFFLINE   mgoblue99

mgoblue99

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

Here's my situation: I'm within my contract period, so cancellation would result in D*'s penalty being imposed. But, I am a major hockey fan (as evidenced by my CI subscription since I started with D*). If they lose Vs., I'd have to switch providers. Anyone have any idea if I'd be able to avoid the early termination fee due to a change in channels provided?

#20 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,813 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:20 AM

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, cable companys should not be allowed to own major cable channels like this, it creates conflict of interest and monopolies. I knew this would happen when these contracts were up for renew with Comcast owned networks, including Golf, E!, G4, CSN's, etc, that they would ask for way more money.

I don't know why the NHL just doesn't show games on their own NHLN and do away with Vs altogether.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...