Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Timer problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nicshow

nicshow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 02:58 PM

For a long time I have had 3 30-minute timers set for programs which air successively. I have them set for "start 1 minute early." For some reason the 501 is not recording the middle program now. It seems as though this started consistent with the 153 upgrade. Could it be because of the "start 1 minute early" function is kicking off the middle program?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nicshow

nicshow

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 03:10 PM

Oops, just double-checked and apparently I DID NOT have "start 1 minute early" checked. It's just 3 shows in a row - the middle of which is suddenly not recording.
AT200

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:41 PM

For anyone interested, here is the reply from Dish Support: "The problem you are currently experiencing is a known issue and we are working to correct the situation as soon as possible. At this time, there is an issue with back to back timers in this model. Our Engineering Department is working diligently to have this problem corrected. We do appreciate your understanding and patience while corrective actions are taking place."

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 07:51 AM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones again - I have several back to back recordings set up that record weekly, and haven't had any problems with them since 153.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   Tony S

Tony S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 09:14 AM

Since I have had version P153, I have set up 3 back-to-back timers on several occasions and have not had any problems at all (record once timers).

I wonder why some 501s exhibit this problem while others don't?

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2002 - 02:32 AM

I am also having a timer problem with this new software, if I set back to back timers for shows on the same channel they don't get broken into two seperate recordings, the PVR just keeps on recording and just lumps the two recordings in to one big one. And if I set to back to back recordings taking place on two different channels the first one records, but when it is time for the second one the PVR just keeps recording on what ever channer the first recording was set up for. Has this happened to any one else?

#7 OFFLINE   Tony S

Tony S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:06 AM

I guess I spoke too soon on my previous post... Last night I had 3 back-to-back timers set for the same channel. The first one recorded normally. However the 2nd and 3rd shows got lumped into one big recording, and the 501 never shut off (it just kept on recording, adding the next show to the other 2).

I am glad I was watching TV when this occurred so that I was able to manually stop the recording (I was watching the first show that I had recorded). If I hadn't been watching TV at the time, the 501 would probably have just kept recording until there was no more space on the hard drive, (and most likely would have erased the unprotected recordings that I hadn't watched yet).

So far, I have not had a problem with back-to-back recordings on different channels. Has anyone else had problems with back-to-back recordings?

#8 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 03:37 PM

Why bother with back to back timers? If you know you want a time slot for 3 shows, select the first one, then edit it to run for 1 1/2 hrs and start 1 minute early. Problem solved.

A curious thing about doing this: The PVR menu will show the title of the first recording, but as you playback and get into the next 1/2 hour show, the browser banner will show the correct show title.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#9 OFFLINE   Tony S

Tony S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:20 AM

Originally posted by DarrellP
Why bother with back to back timers? If you know you want a time slot for 3 shows, select the first one, then edit it to run for 1 1/2 hrs and start 1 minute early. Problem solved.

I have used this method many times in the past, however there are times when I would rather record them separately (for example, I might want to save one of the shows, but not the other two). Also, my wife does not know how to edit a timer.

For me, this problem with back to back timers started with version P153, and only occurs with back to back timers on the same channel. The problem does not occur every time. About 75% of the time the back to back timers work fine; the other 25% of the time the shows get lumped into one big recording, and the 501 never stops recording (after the last show has been recorded). Every time that this problem has occurred, I happened to be watching TV at the time, so I was able to manually stop the recording. If I wasn't there to manually stop the recording, this would have been a more serious issue.

As a temporary solution, if I know that I am not going to be there to manually stop the recording, I just set one long timer as DarrellP described, but I sure hope that dish fixes this problem soon.

The thing that I don't understand is why does it work OK 75% of the time and fail 25% of the time?

#10 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 10:51 AM

Not all back to back timers are on the same channel.

rebooting the 501 seems to fix the problem when back to back timers fail unfortuantely it is to late to get the recording too

#11 OFFLINE   10056753

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 12:04 AM

i am now seeing a similar problem (just started with153). Actually, my back to back timers on same channel work fine (i get two individual programs), but when i set back to back on two different channels, the second one fails to fire and the first one just keeps on going until manually turned off.

also, i think that it may only be screwing up if i am actually watching the first show (delayed), when the second timer is due to be fired off.

I called dish tech and he said "try hard re-boot", but that this problem has never been reported before now...yea right.

Well, i powered off and tried it again. Works fine now. Hopefully this does not happen often.

chi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...