Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC rewinds 'Rockford'

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,115 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

NBC takes another step toward destroying TV as we know it. It's not enough they kill off 5 hours of primetime programming for Jay Leno but now they want to remake a classic such as Rockford Files.

Jim Rockford is looking for a comeback.

NBC, Universal Media Studios and Steve Carell's Carousel Television have tapped "House" creator-exec producer David Shore to shepherd a redo of the classic 1974-80 gumshoe drama that starred James Garner and put Stephen J. Cannell on the map as a writer-producer.

More: http://www.variety.c...egoryid=14&cs=1

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

How can you recreate such an iconic program as Rockford?

This has fail written all over it....

#3 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

While I agree that it's probably not a good idea, I do think that Nathon Fillion would make a pretty good Rockford (if he weren't already in the bit more original series "Castle"). Hmm... Or maybe Bill Pullman...

#4 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

FAIL
No James Garner.... No Rockford, like Perry Mason without Raymond Burr, like Mayberry without Andy Griffith, and so on... further evidence that ther is no one at the rudder at NBC!
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#5 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone, leave your name and number. I'll get back to you."

Jim, this is NBC Universal. We're so desperate for a ratings winner we've decided to remake your show. Of course it will be in the present day, so you'll no longer need this answering machine. From now on, you'll get messages via text, such as, "P-Cok wan2 GIAG, T2 A HLN. IWBG. Jim, YT?"

#6 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

It would be interesting to see what Jim uses for an answering machine and a printing press for doing up his "business cards". :)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Obviously they'll have to rethink the whole opening of the show.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

Maybe Garner could play Rockford's dad? And how about Tony Shaloub for Angel? If you're going down, may as well go down with as large a fireball as you can.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#9 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Didn't they learn from The Bionic Woman? UNBC got lucky with the BSG retool, but went to the well one too many times. Don't forget there is a V retool on it's way

#10 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Maybe Garner could play Rockford's dad? And how about Tony Shaloub for Angel? If you're going down, may as well go down with as large a fireball as you can.

Garner is really old now, he'd have to play a new modern day Rockford's grandfather.

Probably not many of today's younger viewers have ever seen a Rockford File episode so it would be new to them. For a role like this so much depends on who they get to play it. Hard to come up with anybody. Maybe James Marsden, at least he and Garner grew up within 20 miles of each other.

Edited by dettxw, 21 August 2009 - 08:22 AM.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#11 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

I am kinda on the fence, I always wondered what rockford would be like if he was a pi in 90's 00's. He was always using phone booths and asking for dimes. In todays cell phone world that is a vital tool of average joe. Plus there are really no PI shows on tv right now. I think it could be interesting if done right. That is a big if considering how much Hwood f ups remakes. How ever with the remakes of V and others I would be expecting more studios to reaching into the vaults. With the failed B woman and the fantasy island fiasco not too long ago I can understand the failed sentiment.

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

So, the rumor is true?

There are NO original ideas left in Hollyweird?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

They'd be better off making a series out of Roger Rabbit.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#14 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

They'd be better off making a series out of Roger Rabbit.

Oh geez, don't encourage them.......

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

I think NBCU thinks the saying is: "Contempt breeds success."

Surely they knew everyone over 40 would greet this with contempt. Oh, I forgot. Only CBS cares about viewers over 40.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

What's next? Are they going to try to remake Star Trek? How could anyone command a starship like William Shatner? Or perhaps they're going to try to remake Battlestar Galactica! As if anyone could lead the rag-tag fugitive fleet better than Lorne Greene. And remember George Reeves in Superman? It lasted for six seasons! There is no way they could make another series based on the Superman story that could last that long, right?

I'm being factitious of course. I think it is ridiculous to think that any slice of time has a monopoly on the ability to present a story concept. Every set of actors, directors, writers and producers, and every period of time, brings their own special nuances to a series making a remake a wholly new and potentially exciting creation. I think people poison their own perspectives by holding such proprietary feelings for something old. They deprive themselves of enjoying anything new, by venerating what's passed in that manner.

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

What's next? Are they going to try to remake Star Trek? How could anyone command a starship like William Shatner? Or perhaps they're going to try to remake Battlestar Galactica! As if anyone could lead the rag-tag fugitive fleet better than Lorne Greene. And remember George Reeves in Superman? It lasted for six seasons! There is no way they could make another series based on the Superman story that could last that long, right?

I'm being factitious of course. I think it is ridiculous to think that any slice of time has a monopoly on the ability to present a story concept. Every set of actors, directors, writers and producers, and every period of time, brings their own special nuances to a series making a remake a wholly new and potentially exciting creation. I think people poison their own perspectives by holding such proprietary feelings for something old. They deprive themselves of enjoying anything new, by venerating what's passed in that manner.

Yes, but why not just make a new PI series not using the same character's name? It's going to have to be different anyway.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

How will doing that benefit the producers or the people who own the rights to the Rockford Files concept (the people who actually have standing to hold proprietary feelings toward the series' concept).

#19 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

I for one look forward to remakes of the old, I like to see the spin that fresh blood brings to an old idea. Hey it will either succede or fail. If the new rockfish ever makes it off the ground i will be watching. remember everything old becomes new again.

Edited by cj9788, 20 August 2009 - 05:08 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

At least David Shore, the guy from House that NBC has tapped to try and put this together has plenty of examples of how not to do it... Bionic Woman... Knight Rider...
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

spam firewall