Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC rewinds 'Rockford'

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

Maybe they could remake "Maverick".

Oh, wait. They did.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

How will doing that benefit the producers or the people who own the rights to the Rockford Files concept (the people who actually have standing to hold proprietary feelings toward the series' concept).

As near as I can tell from various sources, it appears that NBCU owns most of the rights if not all. From the article:

The idea for a "Rockford" revival came from Carousel, which inquired about the rights to the Universal TV property after Carousel cut a production pact with Universal Media Studios in January.

Looks to me like the same kind of thinking that went into the remake of "Knight Rider" which NBCU folks "were the people who actually have standing to hold proprietary feelings toward the series' concept."

Roy Huggins is dead. But his co-creator of the original "Rockford Files", Stephen J. Cannell, is involved in the movie remake of his TV show "The A-Team" so I guess he could be happy about a remake of "Rockford." Maybe they'll even involve him since he did the more recent "Rockford Files" TV movies.

Regarding the NBC broadcast network, why not remake everything ever produced by an NBCU company that lasted more than two seasons and show it on ailing NBC? Sounds like a strategy to me. IMHO a bad strategy, but a strategy....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

First you impose a perverted view of strategy and ascribe it to them. Then you condemn it. How convenient. :rolleyes: You've really got that self-fulfilling criticism act down pat. :rotfl:

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

First you impose a perverted view of strategy and ascribe it to them. Then you condemn it. How convenient. :rolleyes: You've really got that self-fulfilling criticism act down pat. :rotfl:

I try! Thanks for noticing.:D

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

I for one look forward to remakes of the old, I like to see the spin that fresh blood brings to an old idea. Hey it will either succede or fail. If the new rockfish ever makes it off the ground i will be watching. remember everything old becomes new again.

I'm sorry but no one else could ever play James Rockford. The role was specifically designed around James Garner. I have never seen another actor that fits the same persona of James Garner.

It really did not matter what role James Garner played, you always knew his character was a grifter in some way.

There are some shows which should never be remade and this is one of them.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#26 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Didn't they learn from The Bionic Woman? UNBC got lucky with the BSG retool, but went to the well one too many times. Don't forget there is a V retool on it's way

Science Fiction Shows (at least in my opinion) are easier to remake. There is a larger cast and characters are more generic and can easily be retooled.
Plus, it didn't hurt that BSG was not all that big of a hit when it first aired. If my memory has not failed me, it only lasted for 1 season and was retooled part way through the first season.

Characters that were tailored around a specific actor & their talents on the other hand are almost if not impossible to remake.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#27 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

I'm sorry but no one else could ever play James Rockford. The role was specifically designed around James Garner. I have never seen another actor that fits the same persona of James Garner.

It really did not matter what role James Garner played, you always knew his character was a grifter in some way.

I wouldnt say the show was specificly designed around Garner the only connection from WIKI states that the show was created by Stephen J Canal and Roy Huggins the latter created Maverick. If it is more than an opinon that you have then post a reference please.

Regardless of our opinons on the subject NBC is going to remake it watch it or not.

I loved Garner as Jimbo, It was one of my favorite shows and I used to watch it recently on WGN but they stopped showing it. I do not think Garner has ever done anything I did not like.

You say it should not be remade like it is some sort of fact when it really is just your opinon & I say otherwise. I for one am looking forward to it and will be watching it when it comes out.

#28 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

NO!!!

My college pets - and their name:

Turtle - Dennis

$20

Jack Dempsey Fish - Rocky

$50

The cost of practicing Rockford 180's with every rental car I've ever driven - Priceless.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#29 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

Regardless of our opinons on the subject NBC is going to remake it watch it or not.

Hopefully, the show will fail miserably when it comes to the focus groups and the Nothing But Crap network will come to it's senses.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#30 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

Because heaven forbid someone else likes something that you've decided in advance you want to hate, right? :)

#31 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:28 AM

Because heaven forbid someone else likes something that you've decided in advance you want to hate, right? :)

YES! :P

:)

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#32 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

Speaking of grifters, how about John Cusack as Rockford? He's aging nicely, and while he isn't the same as James Garner (who is?) he also brings an interesting conflicted subtext to his characters. Plus, if we're lucky we might get his sister in a supporting role too, just like in Grosse Point Blank!
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#33 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:25 AM

Speaking of grifters, how about John Cusack as Rockford? He's aging nicely, and while he isn't the same as James Garner (who is?) he also brings an interesting conflicted subtext to his characters. Plus, if we're lucky we might get his sister in a supporting role too, just like in Grosse Point Blank!

Speaking strictly hypothetically, If John Cusack were to be cast as Rockford. I would not mind seeing Joan cast as Beth Davenport.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#34 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

I...
You say it should not be remade like it is some sort of fact when it really is just your opinon & I say otherwise. I for one am looking forward to it and will be watching it when it comes out.

That shows the difference in education in different areas or different timeframes. When I was growing up, we were taught that it would be redundant to include "in my opinion" on a comment like this. We were taught to identify opinions versus facts and to evaluate them with different criteria.

I guess it followed that were learned that it is okay to express our opinions straightforwardly and emphatically, since people would know that it was an opinion.
DogLover

My Setup

#35 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

Plus, it didn't hurt that BSG was not all that big of a hit when it first aired. If my memory has not failed me, it only lasted for 1 season and was retooled part way through the first season.

Quite the contrary. The 3-hour premiere was a HUGE hit and even with declining rating during the year, Galactica consistently won it's timeslot.

The problem was that it cost a fortune to make. The 'profit margin' on Galactica was razor thin compared to getting lesser ratings for a far cheaper show (Mork & Mindy took it's timeslot the following year but the ratings were even worse).

The "retooling" you might be thinking of was 'Galactica: 1980' which is viewed by fans much in the way "Highlander II" is viewed by their fans - It Never Happened.

G:1980 was an attempt to recycle sets, models and footage to produce a series on-the-cheap while trying to cash in on the "Galactica" name - in other words, mining the fans of the old series to show them the unadulterated crap they produced from their recycling efforts.

#36 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

Uhhhh.... I thought that The Rockford Files was a remake of Maverick in a modern-day setting.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#37 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

That shows the difference in education in different areas or different timeframes. When I was growing up, we were taught that it would be redundant to include "in my opinion" on a comment like this. We were taught to identify opinions versus facts and to evaluate them with different criteria.

I guess it followed that were learned that it is okay to express our opinions straightforwardly and emphatically, since people would know that it was an opinion.

I was born in 1968 and went to public schools all my life in Fl, TX and DODDS in Europe. I am the worlds worst speller and am the champion of run on sentences. With that said when i read a state like "There are some shows which should never be remade and this is one of them." or like "The role was specifically designed around James Garner." I presume them to statements of fact made by the person writing them.

Hey no matter how much I love an old show there is allways a chance it may get remade. Who hell thought they would remake V as an example. Since I liked the original I will give the remake a chance it will either succede ala BSG or fail Like Bionic Woman.

#38 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'm older than you, cj, and my understanding of words parallels yours. Opinion is what is labeled. Anything not labeled as opinion is taken to be an assertion of fact.

In a newspaper, news articles don't each say on to "this is fact".... but the editorials are always on a page clearly marked as opinion.

#39 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

- "There are some shows which should never be remade and this is one of them."

I think this statement would have to be taken as an opinion since, as far as I know, there is no governing body in place that could really enforce the decree (although in many cases, there probably should be). Also, the word "should" tends to indicate a general belief more than a statement of absolute truth.

- "The role was specifically designed around James Garner."

This statement, by itself, could certainly be interpretted as an expression of fact. Taken in context with the rest of the post, I would take it to mean that the writing of the show was tailored to the unique strengths of James Garner and that it would be hard to translate that to another actor.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#40 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

I was born in 1968 and went to public schools all my life in Fl, TX and DODDS in Europe. I am the worlds worst speller and am the champion of run on sentences. With that said when i read a state like "There are some shows which should never be remade and this is one of them." or like "The role was specifically designed around James Garner." I presume them to statements of fact made by the person writing them.

Hey no matter how much I love an old show there is allways a chance it may get remade. Who hell thought they would remake V as an example. Since I liked the original I will give the remake a chance it will either succede ala BSG or fail Like Bionic Woman.

Well, I did only quote the sentence with "should" in it. I would agree with you that the other sentence was presented as a statement of fact. Without knowing the person's level of knowledge of the subject, I would certainly treat it as that person's opinion of the facts.

I'm older than you, cj, and my understanding of words parallels yours. Opinion is what is labeled. Anything not labeled as opinion is taken to be an assertion of fact.

In a newspaper, news articles don't each say on to "this is fact".... but the editorials are always on a page clearly marked as opinion.

I'm a few years older than CJ as well, but what I learned in school was just the opposite. In fact, newspaper articles were the examples used to help us determine what is fact and what is opinion. Though they do label opinions on the editorial page, you'd be surprised how much opinion you find in the news section of many papers.

I guess I take the point of view taken from scientific or other research papers: If it's not reliably attributed (or evidence given), it's only that person's opinion or at best their point of view of the facts. Knowledge of the person and their expertise or knowledge on a subject may make me more or less likely to trust their point of view of the facts.

I guess that people with my point of view will need to remember to label our opinions better, so that we are better understood. And people with your point of view can benefit by remembering that not everyone feels the need to label their opinions as opinions.
DogLover

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...