Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC rewinds 'Rockford'

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

I'm a few years older than CJ as well, but what I learned in school was just the opposite.

Maybe it is a North versus South thing. My wife's even older than I am, and a Southerner, so I can check with her.

If I remember... :lol:

Though they do label opinions on the editorial page, you'd be surprised how much opinion you find in the news section of many papers.

And when you see that, outside of the editorial pages, it is "wrong". That's what I learned in school.

I guess that people with my point of view will need to remember to label our opinions better, so that we are better understood.

Or just reply, "Yup that's just my opinion," when someone makes a point of pointing that out. After all, from what you're saying, you wouldn't disagree.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

Uhhhh.... I thought that The Rockford Files was a remake of Maverick in a modern-day setting.

Nope. No stings. No con games. No namesake cousins. No travelling across the country. No reputation. No style or class.

Rockford was just a down-on-his-luck bum/PI.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#43 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

- "There are some shows which should never be remade and this is one of them."

I think this statement would have to be taken as an opinion since, as far as I know, there is no governing body in place that could really enforce the decree (although in many cases, there probably should be). Also, the word "should" tends to indicate a general belief more than a statement of absolute truth.

- "The role was specifically designed around James Garner."

This statement, by itself, could certainly be interpretted as an expression of fact. Taken in context with the rest of the post, I would take it to mean that the writing of the show was tailored to the unique strengths of James Garner and that it would be hard to translate that to another actor.

Exactly what my wife said more or less.

#44 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Maybe it is a North versus South thing. My wife's even older than I am, and a Southerner, so I can check with her.

If I remember. :lol:...

Well, I was brought up in Florida, space coast. Not really southern, but not northern either.

And when you see that, outside of the editorial pages, it is "wrong". That's what I learned in school....

Agreed. I learned that as well.

Or just reply, "Yup that's just my opinion," when someone makes a point of pointing that out. After all, from what you're saying, you wouldn't disagree.

True, that works, too.
DogLover

My Setup

#45 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Well, I did only quote the sentence with "should" in it.

yes you did but as my wife constantly reminds me I include a bunch of stuff that I shouldnt when tring to make a point.

BTW i was not the best student in the world. I kind subscribed to the Jeff Spicoli school of thought.

#46 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Well, I was brought up in Florida, space coast. Not really southern, but not northern either.

Coincidentally, my wife spent much of her teen years on the Space Coast. You're right.... "not really Southern" (from her perspective ;)).

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,130 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

And when you see that, outside of the editorial pages, it is "wrong". That's what I learned in school.

Yeah, then I graduated college taking a job as a newspaper reporter with all the journalist idealism I could muster.

After over a year of covering local city politics and public safety agencies, I discovered that no matter how I tried, somehow a story I wrote six months ago did have a slant if only because there was only so much room for the story plus I honestly heard and saw things differently than many others heard and saw them. Idealism gone, I went on to other things after 18 months and today accept serious-in-the-field news reporters as just people trying hard and the folks we see on TV mostly sitting in chairs as entertainers.

In more recent times studies have determined that the only thing consistently less reliable than an eyewitness is...nothing. And camera's have a limited breadth of vision and audio pickup, and pause and on and off buttons, not to mention the ability of an editor to modify the video after the camera's off.

Frequently what witnesses and cameras didn't see and hear is more important than what they did see and hear. Most of the time I assume that I must really work to find out "the rest of the story," to borrow a phrase from the late Paul Harvey.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#48 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

I can see why NBC is interested in retooling old shows, such as The Rockford Files, as these shows have built-in name recognition and can instantly garner attention and what they really want, a large audience for the premiere episode. They don't need to spend a lot of time explaining the show, either.

However, I'd be happier if NBC, and the other networks, invested more in original scripted programming. I want "new", not "re-purposed" ...

#49 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

I think I came to the realization that there was no such thing as "new" when I read a book explaining how JRR Tolkien essential just wove together bits of old mythology to come up with Lord of the Rings. :)

Seriously, I think "new" is overrated. It's often just a trick, because anything that is really "new" scares too many people so much that they immediately conclude it is "bad". Most people perceive positive aspects because those aspects parallel aspects in other things that they have considered positive in the past.

#50 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:06 AM

It's often just a trick, because anything that is really "new" scares too many people so much that they immediately conclude it is "bad".

Think "The John Larroquette Show". Widely acclaimed as new and innovative, touted to be one of the best new shows of it's time, but the NBC suits got ahold of it and by the middle of the second season it was just another formula sitcom.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#51 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

Of course, that show failed both in its "new" varietal, and in its traditional format, so it probably isn't that good of an example.

I bet we could come up with dozens of examples of shows that were "new" (the way we're using the word here) and died from lack of viewership as a result. The American television viewer is notoriously closed-minded, in general.

#52 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

If Will Shakespeare had managed to copyright his works there probably wouldn't be much on TV right now... Reworking and reinventing stories is an age-old tradition.

If someone wants to take a shot at a modern take on a 35 year old TV show, more power to them. All I would ask is that they respect the original and give us some good stories with interesting characters.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#53 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:09 AM

To be fair, even under today's US laws, Mr. Shakespeare's (personal) copyrights would have expired in 1686 (or at the latest, 1736, if there had been such things as corporations back then).

#54 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

I've got mixed feelings about this - I watch Rockford on HULU quite often and always thought the show was so unique in it's grittyness and lack of glamour / glory. Certainly any new show is going to depend on the actors (Rocky and Dennis are just as important as Jim IMO) but they also need to make sure they have great supporting characters (Angel, Beth, Fitch). I'll probably at least give it a chance when it comes out but I'll be surprised if I ended up liking it.

#55 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

New show: Fringe. Ratings: Excellent.
New show: Big Bang Theory. Ratings: Excellent.

Anyone could argue either of these shows is derivative, pointing to similarities with books, myths, or even other TV series, but the bottom line is these two shows were new - they were not remakes. They were original for TV and that's what I want the networks to do - make more original series.

spam firewall