Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What show would you like to see remade?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Considering all the remakes both recent and to come, what show from yesteryear would you like to see remade?

I would not mind seeing a remake of Emergency or Adam-12. A couple of favs from my childhood.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

Buck Rogers - With the same treatment that Battlestar Galactica got. Darker, grittier, more drama, less cheese.

CHiPs - Not sure if I'd want more or less cheese here. :)

Wonder Woman - Only after Bones has finished its run, so Emily Deschanel can don the stars & stripes. :P
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

One of the funnies show that I ever saw. It only lasted one season back in 1962. Yesterday I found this link to the pilot.

http://imdickenshesf...om/featured.htm

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

What show would you like to see remade?

None. I'd like to see some new, fresh ideas, please.

#5 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

Buck Rogers - With the same treatment that Battlestar Galactica got. Darker, grittier, more drama, less cheese.

Erin Gray as Wilma Deering on the original series confirmed my heterosexuality at an early age, so any reboot of "Buck Rogers" would be fine with me as long as it still features a hot brunette in tight, cleavage-revealing outfits...

Wonder Woman - Only after Bones has finished its run, so Emily Deschanel can don the stars & stripes. :P

...such as Emily Deschanel. I'm not sure if she's Amazonian enough to play Wonder Woman "for real," as opposed to being in a Halloween costume on "Bones."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#6 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

Gilligan's Island with Megan Fox as Mary-Ann!

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

...such as Emily Deschanel. I'm not sure if she's Amazonian enough to play Wonder Woman "for real," as opposed to being in a Halloween costume on "Bones."

Halloween costume was good enough for me. :D
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

I remember watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker as a kid and just being petrified. One of my dad's favorite tricks was to pop around the corner and scare the living crap out of us while we were watching it. Have caught a few episodes on SciFi lately and of course it looks much cheesier now. I think it could be remade into a pretty cool series with todays advanced makeup and special effects.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,145 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Erin Gray as Wilma Deering on the original series confirmed my heterosexuality at an early age, so any reboot of "Buck Rogers" would be fine with me as long as it still features a hot brunette in tight, cleavage-revealing outfits...

Could not have said it any better!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

I remember watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker as a kid and just being petrified. One of my dad's favorite tricks was to pop around the corner and scare the living crap out of us while we were watching it. Have caught a few episodes on SciFi lately and of course it looks much cheesier now. I think it could be remade into a pretty cool series with todays advanced makeup and special effects.

Been there, done that. ABC tried it back in 2005, it lasted 4 episodes, 5 at the most. I though it was a very good show, I downloaded the whole season including a few unaired episodes on iTunes a while back.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#11 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,165 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Been there, done that. ABC tried it back in 2005, it lasted 4 episodes, 5 at the most. I though it was a very good show, I downloaded the whole season including a few unaired episodes on iTunes a while back.

I caught some of the reruns of the new one one Sleuth or Chill or something like that.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:12 AM

1. The Time Tunnel, for sure.

Posted Image

2. Mission Impossible (but of course, it has been, several times since, just under other titles -- I'd prefer to see some of the original elements put back in, and that would necessitate putting it under the MI banner).

3. Beakman's World.

4. All's Fair. (Although, at this point, I suspect Carville and Matalin would claim that the show is about them and sue. :))

#13 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,145 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:15 AM

Considering all the remakes both recent and to come, what show from yesteryear would you like to see remade?

I would not mind seeing a remake of Emergency or Adam-12. A couple of favs from my childhood.

I would not mind seeing a remake of Emergency.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,920 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:27 AM

I can't think of anything from my childhood that I liked that should be remade. I liked some dumb shows as a kid, but at the time they were "so totally rad" lol...CHiPS, Dukes of Hazzard, Greatest American Hero, The Fall Guy, and Fantasy Island. I was more into stupid sitcoms like Alf, Gimme A Break, Diff'rent Strokes, etc.

Maybe a remake of Magnum P.I.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:31 AM

That's a good point... I had a hard time coming up with shows from my childhood that I'd like to see remade, because in retrospect television sucked so much back then that most of what was on would compare poorly to most of what we're watching today.

#16 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

1. The Time Tunnel, for sure.
2. Mission Impossible

ABC and Fox were fighting over a big-budget remake of Time Tunnel a few years ago, but it never made it air.
http://www.sffchroni...ime-tunnel.html

And, yeah, Mission Impossible is a good concept that could easily be updated without losing the feel of the original. Some of the others mentioned here would be difficult to translate for current viewing tastes without completely redoing. For instance, would any 50's Superman fan relate to Smallville?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#17 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:55 AM

Buck Rogers - With the same treatment that Battlestar Galactica got. Darker, grittier, more drama, less cheese

But what about Twiki and Dr. Theopolis, the talking pie plate?!?!?!?!? :)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#18 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

For instance, would any 50's Superman fan relate to Smallville?

Sure. It all depends on one's life perspective, and one's willingness to accept things for what they are, instead of imposing one's own proprietary precepts on them. "I'm too old for that," is the refrain of crotchety old biddies everywhere, while some of their contemporaries view appreciation for the entire spectrum of what's available as one factor that keeps them feeling youthful. My late mother picked up on this early. At age 50 she put aside her proprietary perspectives towards music, for example, embracing some music which only "those young kids" enjoyed. Twenty years later she was still deriving joy from enjoying modern entertainment across the entire spectrum, rather that having slaved herself to the restricted selections that some people would have older ladies enjoy. There was never that sociocultural barrier between her and her granddaughter that existed between, for example, me and my grandparents. My mother probably would never have gone to a Whitesnake concert, but I don't doubt that if there was context and opportunity to do so, she would have gone with her granddaughter to a Jonas Brothers concert, and enjoyed the music.

#19 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

Today's 'advanced' special effects? You mean people playing with computers instead of creating real sets, stunts and effects? Today's special effects CGI nonsense is an embarrassment.

We don't need 'darker and grittier' either. I'd like to be able to see what's on the screen.

'Emergency' has been remade about a thousand times. Same with 'Adam-12'. Look at all the cop shows and hospital shows (ER for example) and other shows like 'Rescue Me'.

I'd like Hollyweird to prove themselves capable of original thought.

Oh, and by the way, there's some unofficial speculation of a 'Wonder Woman' treatment with Hilary Rhoda.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#20 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:17 AM

But what about Twiki and Dr. Theopolis, the talking pie plate?!?!?!?!? :)

Let's not forget Princess Ardala. :grin:

Superman remake/update? 'Lois and Clark' with Dean Cain, Terry Hatcher and Tracey Scoggins.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall