Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jax Jags say say all 10 home games blacked out

dish theater

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 871 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

The Jaguars play the first of 10 home games this year Saturday night — two in the preseason and eight in the regular season — and the team has already announced all 10 will be blacked out on TV because of a lack of ticket sales.

This will be the first time in their 15-year history that they’ve blacked out all 10 games and the stadium might be only, about half-filled Saturday night.

WOW I can't remember a NFL team in recent times announcing every home game will be blacked out . I wonder if the NFL will change or suspend the black out rule if more teams have multiple blacked out games this season ?

http://jacksonville....ng_of_blackouts

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

This is just a local TV blackout right?

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

In Loving Memory of Lisa Sullivan

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,082 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

Bummer! Why don't you #%$&#@% people in JAX support your local NFL team so I can watch the games in the air-conditioned comfort of my very own home theater? :P

Well, living in SE Georgia, but residing in the Jacksonville DMA, looks like I won't get any of the Jags home games from JAX, but there's a chance I might get lucky and get one or two home games from a Savannah station on cable, although not in HD.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 871 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

This is just a local TV blackout right?

Yes for Jax Jags tv market area

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

The black out rule local tv (was) Blackout , All tickets had to be sold out 72 hours before kick off, I don't know how they can say that before the season starts?

That is 72 hours before each Home game.

#6 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

The black out rule local tv (was) Blackout , All tickets had to be sold out 72 hours before kick off, I don't know how they can say that before the season starts?

That is 72 hours before each Home game.

Exactly. They seem be trying to scare the Jacksonville public to get some quick early ticket sales.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#7 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

I wonder if the NFL will change or suspend the black out rule if more teams have multiple blacked out games this season ?

Why?

Then that defeats the purpose of the rule in the first place.

I understand it is hard times right now, but once you take that cat out of the bag, it is going to be very hard for them to put it back in.

#8 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Oakland Raider games have been blackedout for years in the SF Bay Area/Sacramento area. It's a rarity that a home game makes it on TV. In this day and age I think the NFL B/O rule is outdated. You're trying to sell a product if it doesn't make it on local TV you can't really sell it. I think the NFL needs to look at changing that rule....

#9 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

Oakland Raider games have been blackedout for years in the SF Bay Area/Sacramento area. It's a rarity that a home game makes it on TV. In this day and age I think the NFL B/O rule is outdated. You're trying to sell a product if it doesn't make it on local TV you can't really sell it. I think the NFL needs to look at changing that rule....

Look at baseball.

For me, one of the #1 reasons why I don't go to many games in the season, is because it is astronomicallly cheaper and easier time wize for me to watch the games on TV.

With HD and other things, watching the game sometime is a LOT better then going to game, especially in cold weather cities.

And given that a major portion of the teams revenue is based on ticket/parking/food sales, I don't see this rule changing any time in the near future.

#10 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 871 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

Posted by Mike Florio

We've heard scattered rumors regarding NFL fears that more than a dozen teams might face local blackouts at some point this year. Recently, Mark Maske of the Washington Post identified three hot spots (Jacksonville, San Diego, and Minnesota) and several other potential problem cities.

According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the August 19 ownership meeting in Chicago included a presentation that identified up to a dozen teams that might have one or more games blacked out in 2009.

Last year, only three teams failed to sell enough tickets to permit local broadcast of one or more of their games: the Raiders, Lions, and Rams. In all, only nine of 256 regular-season games were blacked out.

But the NFL won't be changing its 36-year-old blackout rule, which requires a game to be sold out 72 hours before kickoff in order to be televised locally.

"There is no consideration being given to amending the blackout policy," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Kaplan. "The policy is important in supporting the ability of the clubs to sell tickets and keeping our games attractive as television programming with large crowds so we can keep all our games on free TV."

http://profootballta...-blackout-rule/

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

They (oakland) need a better product and the tickets would all be gone, As soon as AL Davis (exits) maybe that will happen, but that is what happens when you constantly move your team around the state, you can loose a lot of fans-Translated- Season ticket holders.

#12 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

WOW I can't remember a NFL team in recent times announcing every home game will be blacked out . I wonder if the NFL will change or suspend the black out rule if more teams have multiple blacked out games this season ?

http://jacksonville....ng_of_blackouts

Can't be true unless it is a team decision. Their announcement is not consistent with the NFL rule on blackouts.

#13 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,082 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

Solutions:

1. Win games.
2. Pay people to attend -- tv revenues will make up for foregone ticket sales.

If rule #2 doesn't work, see rule #1.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 871 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Blackout forecast: Every Teams' outlook for potential TV blackout of home games in 2009

http://usatoday.prin...D=1662#forecast

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,011 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

I love me some football (and basketball) but I can't feel too sorry for people in this situation. It is a business, and if they aren't selling enough tickets, about the only thing they can do is blackout the games and hope that encourages more folks to buy tickets the next time.

That said... I really haven't enjoyed being at games in person. Crowds get out of hand sometimes, and I never get the same view of the field that I get on TV.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,082 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I enjoy the game, of course, but I'm certainly not going to pay grossly-inflated ticket and concession prices to watch a bunch of overpaid. over-hyped, faux-hero athletes lose yet another game for their fat-cat owners.

BTW, what team was it that played the first half of last weekend's losing game against the Eagles? :scratchin

Certainly not the Jax Jags!

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

Solutions:

1. Win games.
2. Pay people to attend -- tv revenues will make up for foregone ticket sales.

If rule #2 doesn't work, see rule #1.

3. Move to a smaller stadium.

Alltell has 73,000 capacity.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

In the case of the Raider nation, also clean up the stands. It's too dangerous to go to those games, even for Raider fans.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#19 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

ok I'm confused,I live in Ormond Beach,FL. I beileve thats Orlando area and I have the ST+SF. Will the Jags home games be blacked out here to?
DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

ok I'm confused,I live in Ormond Beach,FL. I beileve thats Orlando area and I have the ST+SF. Will the Jags home games be blacked out here to?

Is your zipcode within 75 miles of Jacksonville? Looks like that is right on the border. If you are slightly to the south, you might be ok. On the northside, maybe not.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall