Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What show do you NOT want to see remade?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

What show is so near and dear to your heart that the thought of a remake makes you physically ill. OK, that's a bit much, but you know what I mean.

For me it would be "The Andy Griffith Show". I just can't imagine anyone else but Andy Griffith, Don Knotts, Ron Howard, etc. playing the Mayberry gang.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

Not so near and dear, but I can't see them re-doing 'Clueless'. I mean Stacey Dash is all grown up now, so ...
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,135 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

Rockford Files

I have a list full of others but we will start there for now.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

"All in the Family" and "Mash" were too of the times to be remade anything like they were.

Frankly I can't imagine how one could literally try to remake "Marcus Welby, M.D." or "Father Knows Best." The characters wouldn't fit the times either, and so why bother?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Gilligan's Island

#6 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,154 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Gilligan's Island

+1!!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

Leave it to Beaver. :P
I Love Lucy

Somehow I don't think that either would translate very well to todays time. Especially with His & Her's seperate twin beds. Unless of course the Cleavers & Ricardo's are divorced/seperated/whatever. :lol:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

There's not enough room on the internet to list them. ;)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#9 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:02 AM

Anything worth making is worth remaking when a little time has passed so the creators of the new edition aren't overly burdened by comparisons to the previous edition.

#10 OFFLINE   kokishin

kokishin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.

#11 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

Mission Impossible. The movies are entertaining but nothing like the old series. A new series would likely be similar to the movies.

#12 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,245 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

M*A*S*H
Cheers
Star Trek (original)
Little House on the Prairie

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#13 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

Little House on the Prairie

:) You know what? I actually though of Little House on the Prairie when I was thinking of shows I wouldn't want to see remade, but there was a miniseries a few years ago that was extremely faithful to the books and I thought it was very well done. Based on that, I think a return of LHOTP as a series is not something I'd object to.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:40 AM

Anything from the 50s or 60s. Don't need new versions of that garbage polluting the airwaives.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:58 AM

Anything from the 50s or 60s. Don't need new versions of that garbage polluting the airwaives.

THOSE are the better shows. They required talent both behind and in front of the camera. They had to do it right to get it on film. Editing was limited to cutting and splicing film clips. There was no computer manipulation. You either got it right or you reshot it.

Writing was far superior to the nonsense today. They knew how to tell a story and create suspense without all the graphics and gore and silly computer tricks.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:18 AM

THOSE are the better shows.

In your opinion that is. Only good shows to come out of that era was The Twilight Zone, Dragnet and Adam 12. The rest is all garbage. Lucy, The Munsters, Bewitched and the rest of that crap. Piss poor acting, lame predictable lines, you can write a novel for a 'goofs guide', nonexistant special effects, no violence, no sex, no nudity, no gore, no profanity, yeah all that sounds like a hoot!
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:24 AM

nonexistant special effects, no violence, no sex, no nudity, no gore, no profanity,

Now THAT'S good television. That's what entertainment is all about.

#18 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:21 AM

In your opinion that is. Only good shows to come out of that era was The Twilight Zone, Dragnet and Adam 12. The rest is all garbage.

You're absolutely correct, IMHO. Television has been on a steady and consistent rise, especially since 1981.

It isn't only, though, that technology has made it possible to bring certain artistic images to life in way impossible in the past, but also the state of artistry itself has improved. Entertainment is simply more entertaining now than ever before. While there are a lot of crappy actors/directors/writers out there, the best actors/directors/writers today are creating better work than the best actors/directors/writers of the past.

A lot of it has to do with today's artists being released from the bonds that chained yesterday's artists to inferiority. Today's entertainment is able to present more realism, more extremism, greater subtlety, etc., whatever is called for by the artistic vision being realized.

And television especially has especially benefited from the respect it has: Even without regard to technology or any other factors, television dramas, especially, often pay an attention to detail (in sets/locations, costuming, ambient sound, ... even hair and make-up continuity is far superior). This kind of attention to detail was often lost on, or simply beyond the means of, the creators of yesteryear.

#19 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:52 AM

Married with Children. Ed O'Neill and Katey Sagal ARE Al and Peg!!! Would love a reunion show though!!! I mean one with an actual plot and they're in character.

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:26 AM

I think everybody's still around. Maybe they could do one for Bud's wedding?

spam firewall