Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

went from Dish HD to DirecTV SD because of NLOS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bort269

bort269

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

Hey everyone...

I had Dish HD-DVR with the ViP 722 for almost 1 year, but we just moved to an apartment and when the Dish guy came over he said there was no line of sight. He was nice and mentioned that in Seattle DirecTV is a little more to the east (where our balcony is facing) and so I should give them a try.

Since the reviews for the local cable monopoly were awful (broadstripe) I called DirecTV and the installer said the LOS was fine, but my balcony post was in the way for the HD dish... so there was no way to pull it off.
My landlord isn't down with anything else than cinder blocks on the balcony so I relunctantly asked "isn't the SD dish smaller?"

He said "oh yeah, I didn't think of that" and so now I have DirectTV SD with the DVR, the R22-100.
I signed up for the NFL month sunday ticket deal for 5 months, since it comes with all the movie channels I thought that would at least cheer me up for losing HD.

Here is what is driving me crazy:

Every single movie channel is in 4:3 with the grey bars.

I know SD looks bad on HD TVs, I know not all movie channels are widescreen (even when I had Dish HD some of the cinemax channels weren't widescreen and Encore would only show Die Hard in 4:3) that's ok and I would just ignore those channels and watch the widescreen movie channels instead.

But all of them are 4:3? That can't be right!

I read through the entire DirecTV user manual, and all the info about the format button or menu->Parental Fav's & Setup->setup->HDTV is only valid for the HD receiver.

I called and asked them about it and they said "some channels aren't widescreen"

Now I also asked about the grey bars and whether I can change them to black and they couldn't figure out how to do that (maybe they are afraid of burn in liabilty?)

I eventually thought, well... maybe they just don't have any widescreen channels... until I saw the local news and the scoreboard cut off at the top left of the screen tonight. NOW I KNOW they are cropping the feed somehow!

So I searched through the forum and found this post about the R22s:

http://www.dbstalk.c...848#post2134848
"What people are grumbling about on the R22 is if you live in a market where the local channels are only offered in MPEG4 (on the HD satellite feed), you have to put up with obxnoxious GRAY bars ALL THE TIME no matter what kind of TV you have because the option to change the picture format (cropped, squeezed, letterbox, etc.) is BLOCKED OUT on the R22. Apparently this generated so many complaints that now DirecTV supplies the HD DVR to customers in those markets even if they don't subscribe to HD."

So is that my only solution?
I plan to move ASAP and upgrade to DirecTV HD anyway... should I just call them up now and tell them that this is unacceptable and that I want an HD DVR just so I don't get my local channels cropped?

Is there anything else I can do? (am I just out of luck when it comes to the movie channels as well?)

Thank you for any help and sorry for the long post... I've just been so sad about this downgrade that I feel like I have to do something about it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:35 AM

Hey everyone...

I had Dish HD-DVR with the ViP 722 for almost 1 year, but we just moved to an apartment and when the Dish guy came over he said there was no line of sight. He was nice and mentioned that in Seattle DirecTV is a little more to the east (where our balcony is facing) and so I should give them a try.

Since the reviews for the local cable monopoly were awful (broadstripe) I called DirecTV and the installer said the LOS was fine, but my balcony post was in the way for the HD dish... so there was no way to pull it off.
My landlord isn't down with anything else than cinder blocks on the balcony so I relunctantly asked "isn't the SD dish smaller?"

He said "oh yeah, I didn't think of that" and so now I have DirectTV SD with the DVR, the R22-100.
I signed up for the NFL month sunday ticket deal for 5 months, since it comes with all the movie channels I thought that would at least cheer me up for losing HD.

Here is what is driving me crazy:

Every single movie channel is in 4:3 with the grey bars.

I know SD looks bad on HD TVs, I know not all movie channels are widescreen (even when I had Dish HD some of the cinemax channels weren't widescreen and Encore would only show Die Hard in 4:3) that's ok and I would just ignore those channels and watch the widescreen movie channels instead.

But all of them are 4:3? That can't be right!

I read through the entire DirecTV user manual, and all the info about the format button or menu->Parental Fav's & Setup->setup->HDTV is only valid for the HD receiver.

I called and asked them about it and they said "some channels aren't widescreen"

Now I also asked about the grey bars and whether I can change them to black and they couldn't figure out how to do that (maybe they are afraid of burn in liabilty?)

I eventually thought, well... maybe they just don't have any widescreen channels... until I saw the local news and the scoreboard cut off at the top left of the screen tonight. NOW I KNOW they are cropping the feed somehow!

So I searched through the forum and found this post about the R22s:

http://www.dbstalk.c...848#post2134848
"What people are grumbling about on the R22 is if you live in a market where the local channels are only offered in MPEG4 (on the HD satellite feed), you have to put up with obxnoxious GRAY bars ALL THE TIME no matter what kind of TV you have because the option to change the picture format (cropped, squeezed, letterbox, etc.) is BLOCKED OUT on the R22. Apparently this generated so many complaints that now DirecTV supplies the HD DVR to customers in those markets even if they don't subscribe to HD."

So is that my only solution?
I plan to move ASAP and upgrade to DirecTV HD anyway... should I just call them up now and tell them that this is unacceptable and that I want an HD DVR just so I don't get my local channels cropped?

Is there anything else I can do? (am I just out of luck when it comes to the movie channels as well?)

Thank you for any help and sorry for the long post... I've just been so sad about this downgrade that I feel like I have to do something about it!

I am tired to explain it all, but dont ask for a hd dvr.. you already have one... Yes I know that sounds weird... but, trust me you do.. There is a software update coming down the pipeline now that you will probably get within a week or two, and then if you add HD access to your account, you will have full control and it will operate exactly like a HD DVR....

As for your dish in the way, haver you thought of beig creative like this?

http://www.dbstalk.c...37&d=1204753553

Edited by inkahauts, 24 August 2009 - 12:41 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   bort269

bort269

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:40 AM

I am tired to explain it all, but dont ask for a hd dvr.. you already have one... Yes I know that sounds weird... but, trust me you do.. There is a software update coming down the pipeline now that you will probably get within a week or two, and then if you add HD access to your account, you will have full control and it will operate exactly like a HD DVR....

thanks for the info (and sorry if this was posted already elsewhere, if so I'd love the link) but it makes sense because I have HDMI output and the user manual seemed to imply that all the HD functions are there (if they are enabled!)

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

thanks for the info (and sorry if this was posted already elsewhere, if so I'd love the link) but it makes sense because I have HDMI output and the user manual seemed to imply that all the HD functions are there (if they are enabled!)

with the new update the r22 becomes an hr22 automatically if you have hd access on your account

ANd no, its not really posted anywhere else yet.... but check the HDDVR forum area and the new discussion threads for the hd dvrs and the software release notes area....

#5 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

As for your dish in the way, have you thought of being creative like this?

That is creative!

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

I think you meant H22.

Actually, the R22 is an HR21 with the HD functionality turned off.

Edit: Okay, the post I responded to was there when I hit reply...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

I did not realize there was anyplace in Seattle proper that did not have Comcast, but their (Comcast's) service has been really bad in my neighborhood. If you move very far, you will probably end up in a Comcast service area.

Because you are planning to move again soon, keep the R22 as it will do HD once you upgrade your account. And, as others have noted, maybe you can get creative with a dish install there that will do the job.

#8 OFFLINE   bort269

bort269

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

I did not realize there was anyplace in Seattle proper that did not have Comcast, but their (Comcast's) service has been really bad in my neighborhood. If you move very far, you will probably end up in a Comcast service area.

Because you are planning to move again soon, keep the R22 as it will do HD once you upgrade your account. And, as others have noted, maybe you can get creative with a dish install there that will do the job.

Thanks everyone! Wow... that IS creative!

Yeah, my landlord isn't down with the dish hanging out over the balcony, so that is the main problem. I am hoping to move soon to a south-facing apartment in the same complex (which would solve all my problems), but until then all I want is to be able to watch movies un-cut (even if it's just in SD). I can't stand the 4:3 and losing part of the picture!

As for comcast, I actually called them and they said "sorry, Broadstripe has a monopoly on that area" I read the reviews for Broadstripe and people were saying "I can't believe I am saying this: but I miss Comcast!" ...ouch!

#9 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

Was it a LOS issue or was the Slimline dish just too big to fit on your balcony?

HD only requires 99/101/103 in most areas so LOS is very similar to SD which is only using 101.

While not really supported by DirecTV it is possible to use the SL3 LNB on a smaller dish and actually manage to get HD service.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=139735

#10 OFFLINE   bort269

bort269

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

Was it a LOS issue or was the Slimline dish just too big to fit on your balcony?

HD only requires 99/101/103 in most areas so LOS is very similar to SD which is only using 101.

While not really supported by DirecTV it is possible to use the SL3 LNB on a smaller dish and actually manage to get HD service.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=139735

wow!
The installer said it was just that the HD dish wouldn't fit (because it was too wide) so that's when I asked about the SD dish since i knew it was smaller!

this would totally solve all my problems if I could get HD from a smaller dish (since I don't know how soon a south-facing apartment will open up)!

#11 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

As for your dish in the way, haver you thought of beig creative like this?

Very creative....Indeed!!!....:)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#12 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

with the new update the r22 becomes an hr22 automatically if you have hd access on your account

Can you verify that the R22 has/will have an available HD software upgrade? Links?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

I'm not sure there is anything to link to with regard to that. I will tell you that current test software (which is supposed to become the next national release) does in fact enable HD on the R22 if you have HD on your account. I can confirm that from personal experience.

I have heard, from a reliable source within DirecTV, that the intent is to leave that capability in the R22.

However until the next software release does in fact go national, and it contains that capability, nothing is 100% certain.

spam firewall