Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nhl 2009-10 tv & nhl centre ice dtv thread

• Please log in to reply
1725 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Oilfan

Oilfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

I thought I would start this thread up again for the season. The purpose of the thread is to provide information, post requests, ask questions/seek clarification, and provide schedules for the NHL 09-10 Season.

The full regular season schedule is on the NHL website, it does provide national and regional coverage for the entire season.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=NAV|SCH|Main (It does take a few seconds to load (entire season)

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=NAV|SCH|Main (current month - as of 8/24 - preseason schedule is up)

Versus will have 54 regular season games -- all in HD. These games are only available on VS and are not in NHL CI. VERSUS (Channel 603) Sked - http://www.versus.co...icleWrapper.tpl

[edit: VS and Directv carriage agreement expires 8/31 and things aren't going smooth for renewal yet. For more info - http://www.dbstalk.c...d.php?t=163322]

NBC has flex game coverage on selected Sundays (12:30 PM ET) as well as the January 1 Winter Classic. NBC games do not air in NHLCI. This schedule is courtesy of Puckthemedia:

Jan. 1
1:00 PM Philadelphia vs. Boston (Winter Classic)

Jan. 17
12:30 PM Chicago vs. Detroit
OR Philadelphia vs. Washington

Jan. 24
12:30 PM Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia
OR Boston vs. Carolina

Jan. 31
12:30 PM Detroit vs. Pittsburgh
OR Tampa Bay vs. Washington

Feb. 7
12:30 PM Pittsburgh vs. Washington
OR Boston vs. Montreal

Mar. 7
12:30 PM Boston vs. Pittsburgh
OR Detroit vs. Chicago
OR Carolina vs. Atlanta :hurah:

Mar. 14
12:30 PM Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers
OR Pittsburgh vs. Tampa Bay
OR Washington vs. Chicago
OR Colorado vs. Dallas

Mar. 21
12:30 PM NY Rangers vs. Boston
OR Buffalo vs. Carolina

Apr. 4
12:30 PM Detroit vs. Philadelphia

Apr. 11
TBD Boston vs. Washington
OR NY Rangers vs. Philadelphia
OR Detroit vs. Chicago

NHL NETWORK USA - Last year NHL NET USA (Channel 215) aired HNIC CBC Saturday doubleheaders including pregame and postgame in HD as well as some TSN Wednesday Night Hockey games and about a half dozen of their own productions done in HD. No schedule has been announced yet, except for Sept 14 Preseason Game between Vancouver Canucks and NYIslanders. In 08-09, there were ~75 games on NHL NETWORK USA. These games do not air in NHLCI.

In late September, we should get a tentative short term NHLCI schedule followed soon after by a tentative season long schedule.

Highlights from last year -
* HD Dual feeds in NHLCI when games were on DTV's regional sports channels.
* NHLNET picking up CBC HNIC games in HD was a plus although the post game show was cut off in progress frequently during the first few months of the season.
* For at least one non-televised game (by either team), NHLCI used the scoreboard feed of the game mixed with radio commentary. I want to say it was a Carolina game.
* PPV (from CDN teams - Van, Cal, Edm, Ott) were included several times throughout the year including at times as a dual feed.

Lowlights from last year -
* Loss of Cablevision HD games from the package. Games on MSG/MSG+/FSN NY (etc) - Buffalo (all home games in HD), NYRangers (all games HD), NYIslanders (virtually all in HD), New Jersey (virtually all games in HD) were not available in NHL CI from about mid-way through the year due to a dispute between the NHL and NYR owners - Cablevision. SD games were not affected and HD versions were still available in the local markets on Directv. To be fair, none of these games were available on any other providers. No word on this situation and really it is a no news is bad news situation since DTV contacts would have posted on the boards if things have changed.
* SD PQ of Canadian feeds (Rogers SportsNet and PPV games in particular) were pathetic. Horrible. Not acceptable.
* TSN SD games were only included when absolutely needed, generally not used as a dual feed. Dishnetwork had virtually all TSN SD games in its CI package.
* Sometimes games would be cut off before its conclusion including games in Overtime or Shootout - not acceptable!

Things to improve in NHLCI -
* HD Canadian feeds: Rogers SportsNet, HD PPV, and TSN HD. In Demand had some Canadian feeds in HD last year and MLB EI has used SNET HD feeds this year.
* CSN Philly SD & HD feeds
* Mix Channel would be nice
* Correction of "Lowlights" from above [edit: particularly, MSG/Cablevision HD feeds (thx n3ntj)]

Edited by Oilfan, 25 August 2009 - 11:08 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Oilfan

Oilfan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

CBC airs doubleheaders at 7 and 10 PM ET each Saturday in addition to a handful of games (under 7) on other days of the week and the odd tripleheader on a Saturday. Often the 7PM slot features a national game and 1 or 2 regional games. Typically the Toronto games is the national game and is broadcast in HD. There is no rule to whether the regional games are in HD or SD 16:9. The 10PM game is generally in HD. Pregame show begins at 6:30 and a Post game show airs from the conclusion of the late game (~12:40AM to 1:30AM).

CBC Sked - http://www.nhl.com/i...htm?network=CBC

CBC in the past has added the odd additional regional game to its schedule in September.

TSN (89) and TSN2 (35) will air at least 124 NHL regular season games this year all in HD. It will produce in the between 70 and 75 of these games themselves and for the remainder of the games will use VERSUS HD feeds (not available in Canada) and NBC feeds (readily available in Canada). The 70 some own produced games generally all involve a Canadian team and all air on TSN which has greater distribution. TSN/TSN2 also are televising 6 preseason games involving Canadian teams. So if you see a US vs US team on the schedule it is likely that TSN will use VERSUS/NBC feed. Phoenix v Pittsburgh on October 7 is an example that is the exception to the rule.

TSN Press release & schedule - http://www.ctvmedia....11568&yyyy=2009

Last year in September TSN added a handful more of games including games involving Montreal Canadians and Ottawa Senators to its TSN/TSN2 schedule. Basically, TSN/TSN2 and the Canadian teams can agree to up the number of games from the conntracted number. I would expect this to happen again this year with a handful of games involving Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary to be added.

NHL NETWORK CANADA airs different games than NHLNET USA with the exception of the self-produced games which aired on both networks. The Canadian version airs about 40 games using US RSNs feeds.

Edited by Oilfan, 24 August 2009 - 05:34 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

I thought I would start this thread up again for the season. The purpose of the thread is to provide information, post requests, ask questions/seek clarification, and provide schedules for the NHL 09-10 Season.

The full regular season schedule is on the NHL website, it does provide national and regional coverage for the entire season.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=NAV|SCH|Main (It does take a few seconds to load (entire season)

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=NAV|SCH|Main (current month - as of 8/24 - preseason schedule is up)

Versus will have 54 regular season games -- all in HD. These games are only available on VS and are not in NHL CI. VERSUS (Channel 603) Sked - http://www.versus.co...icleWrapper.tpl

NBC has flex game coverage on selected Sundays (12:30 PM ET) as well as the January 1 Winter Classic. NBC games do not air in NHLCI. This schedule is courtesy of Puckthemedia:

Jan. 1
1:00 PM Philadelphia vs. Boston (Winter Classic)

Jan. 17
12:30 PM Chicago vs. Detroit
OR Philadelphia vs. Washington

Jan. 24
12:30 PM Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia
OR Boston vs. Carolina

Jan. 31
12:30 PM Detroit vs. Pittsburgh
OR Tampa Bay vs. Washington

Feb. 7
12:30 PM Pittsburgh vs. Washington
OR Boston vs. Montreal

Mar. 7
12:30 PM Boston vs. Pittsburgh
OR Detroit vs. Chicago
OR Carolina vs. Atlanta :hurah:

Mar. 14
12:30 PM Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers
OR Pittsburgh vs. Tampa Bay
OR Washington vs. Chicago
OR Colorado vs. Dallas

Mar. 21
12:30 PM NY Rangers vs. Boston
OR Buffalo vs. Carolina

Apr. 4
12:30 PM Detroit vs. Philadelphia

Apr. 11
TBD Boston vs. Washington
OR NY Rangers vs. Philadelphia
OR Detroit vs. Chicago

NHL NETWORK USA - Last year NHL NET USA (Channel 215) aired HNIC CBC Saturday doubleheaders including pregame and postgame in HD as well as some TSN Wednesday Night Hockey games and about a half dozen of their own productions done in HD. No schedule has been announced yet, except for Sept 14 Preseason Game between Vancouver Canucks and NYIslanders. In 08-09, there were ~75 games on NHL NETWORK USA. These games do not air in NHLCI.

In late September, we should get a tentative short term NHLCI schedule followed soon after by a tentative season long schedule.

Highlights from last year -
* HD Dual feeds in NHLCI when games were on DTV's regional sports channels.
* NHLNET picking up CBC HNIC games in HD was a plus although the post game show was cut off in progress frequently during the first few months of the season.
* For at least one non-televised game (by either team), NHLCI used the scoreboard feed of the game mixed with radio commentary. I want to say it was a Carolina game.
* PPV (from CDN teams - Van, Cal, Edm, Ott) were included several times throughout the year including at times as a dual feed.

Lowlights from last year -
* Loss of Cablevision HD games from the package. Games on MSG/MSG+/FSN NY (etc) - Buffalo (all home games in HD), NYRangers (all games HD), NYIslanders (virtually all in HD), New Jersey (virtually all games in HD) were not available in NHL CI from about mid-way through the year due to a dispute between the NHL and NYR owners - Cablevision. SD games were not affected and HD versions were still available in the local markets on Directv. To be fair, none of these games were available on any other providers. No word on this situation and really it is a no news is bad news situation since DTV contacts would have posted on the boards if things have changed.
* SD PQ of Canadian feeds (Rogers SportsNet and PPV games in particular) were pathetic. Horrible. Not acceptable.
* TSN SD games were only included when absolutely needed, generally not used as a dual feed. Dishnetwork had virtually all TSN SD games in its CI package.
* Sometimes games would be cut off before its conclusion including games in Overtime or Shootout - not acceptable!

Things to improve in NHLCI -
* HD Canadian feeds: Rogers SportsNet, HD PPV, and TSN HD. In Demand had some Canadian feeds in HD last year and MLB EI has used SNET HD feeds this year.
* CSN Philly SD & HD feeds
* Mix Channel would be nice
* Correction of "Lowlights" from above

I would add this to Things To Improve -

* MSG HD/MSG+ HD Feeds
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

yeh need a mix channel this year

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#5 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

Would any/or all of the Versus exclusive games in the US be available on any Canadian providers?

#6 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

Would any/or all of the Versus exclusive games in the US be available on any Canadian providers?

Yes TSN will pick up some of these...

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

I think some of the Versus exclusive games where the TSN feed.

#8 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

Oilfan, great post! Thanks for the info. +1 on that MSG HD issue. I missed that big-time on CI last season.

I have a question about this though:

"NBC games do not air in NHLCI."

Someone correct me here but I received the out-of-mkt NBC games on CI last year in Dallas. Hasn't that been the case for several years? Maybe my memory's going out.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#9 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

The NHLN needs to stop blacking out games that I would normally get on CI.They have a larger blackout radius which they them self explained to me in an email.All 6 Flyers/Maple Leafs games were shown on the NHLN and were blacked out in my area.
Totally unacceptable . The games would have been available on CI !!!!

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#10 OFFLINE   Oilfan

Oilfan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

The last few years, NBC has only televised ONE game during its timeslot. Your memory is correct because when NBC used to have regional action the "other" games would be in NHL CI.

And yes, 90% of the VERSUS games air on TSN or TSN2 in HD. Most of the handful that don't involve a Canadian team.

If you look at this schedule, you can see the VS schedule and it also lists if any other networks are also showing the games.
http://www.nhl.com/i...tm?month=200910

Colorado Alvanche have announced that 100% of its games will be in HD this year on Altitude or Altitude2. Always nice to have late night games in HD to flip around.

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

The last few years, NBC has only televised ONE game during its timeslot. Your memory is correct because when NBC used to have regional action the "other" games would be in NHL CI.

And yes, 90% of the VERSUS games air on TSN or TSN2 in HD. Most of the handful that don't involve a Canadian team.

If you look at this schedule, you can see the VS schedule and it also lists if any other networks are also showing the games.
http://www.nhl.com/i...tm?month=200910

Colorado Alvanche have announced that 100% of its games will be in HD this year on Altitude or Altitude2. Always nice to have late night games in HD to flip around.

Correct, in the past, NBC would show multiple games and they'd be available on NHL CI. I think last year they did only 1 game per day. It was nice when the NBC regional games would be on NHL CI. If only Fox would take this idea for their Sat. MLB exclusivity.

I also had major issues with incorrect blackouts. Every Pittsburgh game on NHL Network was blacked out for me, although I am over 200 miles east of Pittsburgh and not within the Pittsburgh market. I am near Philly. D* of course isn't responsible for this problem as it is really the NHL. No idea if the Pens have any control over this issue.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#12 OFFLINE   paakoridge

paakoridge

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Might as well link this thread to the other one regarding Versus possibly disapppearing from DirecTV. If not resolved, the NHL has a big liability for game coverage, and Versus will have a difficult time selling advertising if there is diminished audience. I wonder if they have an out clause and could pick up gaems on CI or NHLN?

#13 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 880 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

Meanwhile, Altitude has found time to announce that all Avalanche and Nuggets games will be produced in high definition in the coming season.

Also, most of the teams' games to be aired in a 10-state area on cable and satellite services will feature HD.

http://www.denverpos...rts/ci_13190517

#14 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hoping that NHL Broadcasts on MSG will be in HD this year

#15 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hoping that NHL Broadcasts on MSG will be in HD this year

They are in HD if MSG is your RSN, correct? That's the way it was last season.

#16 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

A mix channel would be nice. Another improvement I'd really like to see that isn't Center Ice related: Getting On The Fly in HD.
HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

I wonder why this forum's Directv contact and member Satracer has not posted anything on these NHL CI nagging questions?

He was very helpful last year keeping the members here up to date.

#18 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

They are in HD if MSG is your RSN, correct? That's the way it was last season.

Right but in the past any NHL CI subscriber could see MSG HD last year we only got the SD feed after the owners of MSG(Cablevision) decided to pull plug on rest of us

#19 OFFLINE   full moon

full moon

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

A mix channel would be nice. Another improvement I'd really like to see that isn't Center Ice related: Getting On The Fly in HD.

Yes to the mix channel...:)

#20 OFFLINE   abooch

abooch

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

I would LOVE a mix channel..

spam firewall