Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 vs LG Blue ray player with you-tube/netflix

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   farmerdave4

farmerdave4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

I am thinking about buying a LG blue ray player so I can download netflix movies. dish PPV or OnDemand is too expensive. I am planning on getting a 922 if it ever comes out, but would the 922 have some of the internet features a
LG BG390 player would have? if it would the same features I would be better off getting a PS3 instead.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

Nobody really knows for sure... but I swear folks at CES were saying something about possible content for the 922 being Internet delivered. I'm not sure if that just meant the VOD Dish has today or if they were thinking of allowing other streaming from the Internet.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:49 PM

What the internet capabilities of the 922 will actually be to me are unclear. The CES news release said: "Ability to load photos, MP3s and selected Internet content." This means to me content selected by Dish.

In the Tech Forum Summary - February 9th, 2009 was the first clear mention of the 922 having a "complete internet browser." Now I'm not positive what that means in Dish lingo nor do I know if that was said by someone talking out his ***, but where I come from it means the ability to stream anything your ISP will get you to.

The "complete internet browser" became "full internet browser" in another post.

I don't know what the thing will be able to do. I will say this, if I live long enough to get one I know I'll have to be my own technical support with help from web sites like this.

They really should send one out with a final beta version to my sister with a dedicated tech support phone line. When she says she is comfortable enough to rely on it for recording her TV and doing all her web browsing, that's when they should release it.

But it'll be folks like us here who will be struggling with it's first software release and thereafter.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

Catch a replay of this month's Tech Forum for a demo of the browser. The questions of what will or won't be allowed remain unanswered, though we know it currently doesn't support Flash.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

Nobody really knows for sure... but I swear folks at CES were saying something about possible content for the 922 being Internet delivered. I'm not sure if that just meant the VOD Dish has today or if they were thinking of allowing other streaming from the Internet.

Speaking of Blu-ray drives, I just got a SHARP AQUAS drive to go with my SHARP AQUAS 37" 1080i LCD HDTV. The unit is 1080P.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

I am thinking about buying a LG blue ray player so I can download netflix movies. dish PPV or OnDemand is too expensive. I am planning on getting a 922 if it ever comes out, but would the 922 have some of the internet features a
LG BG390 player would have? if it would the same features I would be better off getting a PS3 instead.

You'll probably be limited with Dish content.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

I can't tell which way to lean. My gut says it wouldn't be a surprise if it were limited to select Dish content, similar to the VOD but perhaps allowing streaming instead of having to wait for a download.... but then the stuff on the Tech Forum with the "full" browser make me hopeful for more.

I suppose we could end up with a hybrid of sorts... perhaps it will be possible to sign up with someone like Netflix through the 922, but not just get content from any old Web site we want.

All guesses on my part though until we hear something new.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

I can't tell which way to lean. My gut says it wouldn't be a surprise if it were limited to select Dish content, similar to the VOD but perhaps allowing streaming instead of having to wait for a download.... but then the stuff on the Tech Forum with the "full" browser make me hopeful for more.

I suppose we could end up with a hybrid of sorts... perhaps it will be possible to sign up with someone like Netflix through the 922, but not just get content from any old Web site we want.

All guesses on my part though until we hear something new.

While Netflix may or may not be allowed, it seems like streaming from TV websites like Hulu.com through the 922 to your TV ought to be a given if Echostar/Dish really wants to compete. If I'm going have to keep another computer hooked up to my system, why bother with the 922? Just use a Slingbox.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

While Netflix may or may not be allowed, it seems like streaming from TV websites like Hulu.com through the 922 to your TV ought to be a given if Echostar/Dish really wants to compete. If I'm going have to keep another computer hooked up to my system, why bother with the 922? Just use a Slingbox.

Good point. Dish/Echostar has a real opportunity here to position itself to sell Dish services not only to people who want Dish anyway... but who choose Dish to get an all-in-one solution for their other ways of watching TV content.

#10 OFFLINE   redsalmon

redsalmon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

There's a thread in the other forum about beta testing of the 922. Might want to check it out.

#11 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Good point. Dish/Echostar has a real opportunity here to position itself to sell Dish services not only to people who want Dish anyway... but who choose Dish to get an all-in-one solution for their other ways of watching TV content.

Still see the Echostar ViP922 allowing for more content like Hula and Netflix. Echostar is pushing the product, to more than just Dish Customers, they want to sell the Echostar ViP922to Cable customers as well.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

There's a thread in the other forum about beta testing of the 922. Might want to check it out.

I am not aware of any public forum endorsed by Dish network to discuss the 922 beta testing. My understanding is that even retailers who were approved to get a 922 are not supposed to be discussing their testing in a public forum.

#13 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

I am not aware of any public forum endorsed by Dish network to discuss the 922 beta testing. My understanding is that even retailers who were approved to get a 922 are not supposed to be discussing their testing in a public forum.

According to the powers that be over at the other site the retailers were not required to sign a gag order to beta test the 922 but, other people that are beta testing it were and are warned to be careful with their posts. Supposedly the preticular forum in question cannot be accessed via search engines or anything like that, you have to be there to see it. There is even a thread by a guy that has claimed to have already purchased a 922 on ebay and was able to activate it on a residential account.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

According to the powers that be over at the other site the retailers were not required to sign a gag order to beta test the 922 but, other people that are beta testing it were and are warned to be careful with their posts. Supposedly the preticular forum in question cannot be accessed via search engines or anything like that, you have to be there to see it. There is even a thread by a guy that has claimed to have already purchased a 922 on ebay and was able to activate it on a residential account.

Without seeing the site in question, I have to say that sounds suspect to me.

I can't imagine a company beta testing a product and telling some testers to sign an NDA and other testers nothing. I believe if we had a lawyer here, that conduct would legally invalidate the NDA for the other folks because the typical NDA I have seen essentially binds both parties from public disclosure, because if the company breaks the silence then there'd be no way to restrict the person under NDA from discussing the same once the cat was out of the bag.

That leaves me to assume, perhaps, that some folks are not abiding by their NDA (it does happen from time to time)... but that becomes a Dish/Echostar matter to quash if they have a problem with it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...