Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

List of currently supported receivers?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   neworder71

neworder71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

I couldn't find a list of currently supported receivers. I know you need an MPEG4 unit but I have no idea if these are. I see them sold (and bought) currently on ebay.

RCA DRD435RH
Sony Sat-B65

Any value in them?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

"Supported" for what? All DirecTV Receivers still work just fine. But some older Receivers can't "see" anything but the 101ºW satellite, or just the 101/110/119º satellites. Only the newer MPEG4 Receivers can "see" the 99 and 103º satellites.

What are you want to do? Just sell your old equipment? Not much value in those.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

Very, very little value anymore.

Most pre-DirecTV-branded receivers don't have enough memory to handle the current channel listing and guide data, so certain groups of channels have to be deleted in order for these receivers to function. So, DirecTV recently stopped activating these older receivers, and will upgrade existing ones to a free leased D11/D12.

Of course, none of them are MPEG4 capable, which means no HD. In order to get HD, you need a DirecTV H2x or HR2x.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

Most pre-DirecTV-branded receivers don't have enough memory to handle the current channel listing and guide data, so certain groups of channels have to be deleted in order for these receivers to function. So, DirecTV recently stopped activating these older receivers, and will upgrade existing ones to a free leased D11/D12.

That's not true. You can activate ANY old DirecTV receiver if you are persistent enough. Transferring your call to the access card department usually works since CSR's sometimes don't know how to activate receivers that don't have a RID (receiver ID).

Upgrading your old legacy receiver will also lock you into a 2 year programming commitment which is often conveniently omitted from the discussion on a phone call to a CSR.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

That's not true. You can activate ANY old DirecTV receiver if you are persistent enough. Transferring your call to the access card department usually works since CSR's sometimes don't know how to activate receivers that don't have a RID (receiver ID).

Upgrading your old legacy receiver will also lock you into a 2 year programming commitment which is often conveniently omitted from the discussion on a phone call to a CSR.

Yes, you are correct but not for long. Soon, those older receivers will not be allowed to reactivate.

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

Yes, you are correct but not for long. Soon, those older receivers will not be allowed to reactivate.

CRAP! I have some DirecTiVo's I keep in storage in case one goes bad...

~Alan

#7 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

CRAP! I have some DirecTiVo's I keep in storage in case one goes bad...

~Alan

Those wont' be affected, I'm talking about the really really old ones. The receivers not using an Advanced Programming Guide.

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

Those wont' be affected, I'm talking about the really really old ones. The receivers not using an Advanced Programming Guide.

WHEW! Good to know...

Thanks for the clarification! :)

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:46 AM

So what's a time frame when some of these older receivers will not be able to carry any more channels? Or when will the conversion be from mpeg-2 to mpeg-4? I'd like to know when that will probably be changing, any guesses?

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

Many of those older receivers are *already* unable to handle all of the existing channels, so, for example, the premium sports packages are no longer available on those receivers, along with a few other low-use channels. Those old receivers simply can't handle the amount of channels that are available today.

As far as the conversion to all MPEG4, I would not expect to see that conversion start for a couple of years. DirecTV is going to let people pay to upgrade to HD, which will cover a chunk of those costs, for a couple more years. Once the number of SD receivers in service drops below a certain threshold, DirecTV will announce a plan to force-upgrade all remaining receivers, but I estimate that to be 3-4 years away still.

It's looking like by the end of this year, we may see new customers being installed with a whole-home DVR with small client boxes at remote TVs, all networked via coax.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

Let me say, Satelliteracer is right. This could happen any time, it's something that's been discussed for well over a year. There are a lot of pre-D10 receiver models that are now over 5 years old and the question of whether or not to support them seems less and less important.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Let me say, Satelliteracer is right. This could happen any time, it's something that's been discussed for well over a year. There are a lot of pre-D10 receiver models that are now over 5 years old and the question of whether or not to support them seems less and less important.

True. I had an old DSR704 (DirecTiVo from 2003) have problems last week and the CSR didn't have me try many things before offering me a replacement box (an R15). I'm used to being asked to try a lot more things in troubleshooting calls.

I suspect they may see these calls as an opportunity to get these ancient boxes out of service, and thus don't try as hard to "fix" the problem as they would have if it were a current, MPEG-4 compatible box that had the problem.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

Well, I'm going to find out next month.

I have an OLD Hughes receiver and am planning on reactivating it just to hook it up to my stereo so I can listen to the Sonic Tap channels AND get a CONTINUOUS song title/artist listing without having to get an HR2x/R22...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

In reality, the more pertinent question is what they are still shipping.

As I indicated, when my old DirecTiVo died a couple weeks ago, they shipped me an R15. Which is unfortunate because it means they are still shipping SD DVRs that don't support everything that an R16 or an R22 supports (such as SWM and/or MRV). It seems kind of cruddy to still be shipping boxes that don't support current features, but I guess I shouldn't complain since this was a free replacement of an older and even more antiquated unit and it didn't trigger a new commitment. Still, it would have been nice to have SWM support here since it's in a bedroom with only one cable (for satellite) coming into the room.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#15 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

Can you (or anyone for that matter), be a little more specific on 'will not be allowed to reactivate'?

If I decided to put my RCA (DRD222RD) in my garage, what kind of issue would I be facing (hypothetically)?
Am I going to be forced to upgrade my older receivers? Will this upgrade extend my commitment? Does the protection plan factor into this?

#16 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

I have a Sony SAT A2 and a B2 if anyone is interested. :D
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:59 AM

I have a Sony SAT A2 and a B2 if anyone is interested. :D

Actually, my in-laws just had their receivers replaced. I believe they had Sony A2's. They noticed they did not have as many PPV channels available as we did. When they called up DirecTV about it, they were replaced with D12's at no cost.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#18 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Can you (or anyone for that matter), be a little more specific on 'will not be allowed to reactivate'?

If I decided to put my RCA (DRD222RD) in my garage, what kind of issue would I be facing (hypothetically)?
Am I going to be forced to upgrade my older receivers? Will this upgrade extend my commitment? Does the protection plan factor into this?

When I activated my RCA DRD430 last September, I had guide issues. I could see what was playing for the next hour or two, but nothing farther than that (I think that's about as much of the guide as I was able to see). For some reason, I seem to remember reading a trick on the forums where you could put those receivers on channel 200 or 201 or something like that over night and it would populate more of the guide data. Since it was a throw down receiver for my father in law during his visit, it wasn't that big of a deal. I've since added another HD receiver and now my R15 is the throw down receiver that gets activated/deactivated when company comes to town.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if my RCA guide issue was related to the new 3 lnb dish that was installed when I moved. I don't remember having guide issues like that when I had my 5lnb dish. Granted, the RCA was in a spare room and I only looked at the immediate guide when I would turn it on. I sure do miss the fact that it booted up in about 10 seconds compared to my dvr's that take 10 minutes.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#19 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Well, I'm going to find out next month.

I have an OLD Hughes receiver and am planning on reactivating it just to hook it up to my stereo so I can listen to the Sonic Tap channels AND get a CONTINUOUS song title/artist listing without having to get an HR2x/R22...

I have an R15 and the XM channels PAD Data or Artist/song info displays correctly. If I press more info it stays on the screen. Of course since Sonic Tap replaces XM in the next month (PISSED!!) That info may display differently.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#20 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

I have an R15 and the XM channels PAD Data or Artist/song info displays correctly. If I press more info it stays on the screen. Of course since Sonic Tap replaces XM in the next month (PISSED!!) That info may display differently.

After 5 minutes of inactivity on an R15 the screen saver kicks in. And it is just a DirecTV logo-even if tuned to a music channel unlike the HR2x/R22 series whose screen saver changes into the song title/artist when tuned to a music channel.

The title/artist display will look exactly the same with Sonic Tap. Just tune to one of the EXISTING Sonic Tap channels (turn the volume down if you don't like Spanish music) and see for yourself.

The old Hughes receiver doesn't HAVE a screen saver. When tuned to a music channel, the title, artist, etc. continuously is displayed on the bottom of the screen in white letters with a blue background. And since it actually scrolls, it does function as a screen saver of sorts. Very nice.

PS: I hooked up my old RCA DRD450RGA just to see what it would do. It worked fine displaying channel 100 and the Sports Guide. It wouldn't display the subscription sports channels (I hate sports so couldn't care less). But in 24 hours I had a FULL WEEKS program guide detail-and a lot more info than even the R22 displays since this receiver was designed to display ALL the info that is supplied by TMS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...