Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

List of currently supported receivers?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

The old Hughes receiver doesn't HAVE a screen saver. When tuned to a music channel, the title, artist, etc. continuously is displayed on the bottom of the screen in white letters with a blue background. And since it actually scrolls, it does function as a screen saver of sorts. Very nice.

One of several reasons why I STILL have my Hughes HAH activated... :)
I still think it had, & still has, one of the best EPG's around.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

One of several reasons why I STILL have my Hughes HAH activated... :)
I still think it had, & still has, one of the best EPG's around.

Well, guess what? After listening for a couple days, I decided that I liked Sonic Tap (DMX) so much I hauled out my ancient Hughes HIRD-E2 (my first DirecTV receiver from 2000) and had it re-activated. And guess what #2? They activated it with it's same old access card (no new card + $20 fee).

Of course, being a member of DBSTALK.COM (and hearing how regular CSR's have no idea how to activate a non-RID receiver), I immediately requested to be transferred to the ACCESS CARD DEPARTMENT to accomplish this. Finally, I asked what my commitment date was and sure enough, it didn't magically change to 2 more years (as it shouldn't when activating a non-leased receiver).

As I type, I'm enjoying Sonic Tap from my ancient legacy Hughes!!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#23 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:35 PM

...had it re-activated. And guess what #2? They activated it with it's same old access card (no new card + $20 fee).

They should have - as long as it's a current AC, & as long as it was originally on YOUR account, there shouldn't have been an issue anyway & NO need for you to buy a new AC anyway.
And IIRC, when you remove a receiver from your account, it's not really "removed", but "deactivated", but remaining on your account in D*'s billing system. So, it's much easier to reactivate an existing card than a brand new card & receiver.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:00 AM

At this point any receiver that has been made for DirecTV is still supported. Older recievers do not get all the guide data though. From a post Satelliteracer made earlier they will be discontinuing the ability to activate receivers without RID numbers at some point in the future.

Access cards only need to be changed if they have a picture of a satellite on them or a football player.

#25 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

At this point any receiver that has been made for DirecTV is still supported. Older recievers do not get all the guide data though. From a post Satelliteracer made earlier they will be discontinuing the ability to activate receivers without RID numbers at some point in the future.

Access cards only need to be changed if they have a picture of a satellite on them or a football player.

Gee, if we had an actual date the older receivers wouldn't be supported, wouldn't it be fun to activate all our old legacy equipment just before that and then get a load of free D12's? :D:D:D

To be more technical regarding access cards, DirecTV referred to the generation of access cards by "level". The ones with the satellite picture or the football player were "level 3" cards (which were the ones that caused all the furor when hackers were able to get free service). DirecTV introduced the "level 4" cards in 2003 and mailed them to every subscriber. They appear to be "hack proof" since DirecTV stopped suing anyone who bought a smart card reader/reprogrammer on the web... ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#26 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

So, Ive got a couple of questions here. I've got DirecTV in 3 rooms right now. HR21-700 in my living room and a pair of D12-500's in the bedrooms. The other day my neighbor and I were downstairs digging around the storage room (we live in a duplex and the storage room is kind of a common area), and we came across a pair of old Philips DSX 5500 receivers that belonged to the landlord from when she still lived here. So I called her up and she didn't even know she still had them, and basically said I could do whatever I wanted with them.

So my questions are as follows:
-Is the DSX5500 Still supported?
-If yes, does it offer functionality and PQ comparable with the D12?
-If no, what functionality does it lack or how worse is its picture?
-Since I lease the D12's, could I save $10 a month by deactivating the D12s and activating these? (provided they actually work...theyve been down there for a year or two)
-And if I could do all of the above and not be a fool for sending the D12s back, is there any way DirecTV would let me pull the cards out of the D12s and put them into the DSX5500's? Neither one of them has an access card currently.

#27 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Avder:
1. Yes, those old Philips receiver are still supported, provided you don't have SWM dish.
2. PQ should be comparable. But they don't have enough Guide Data memory (RAM) to handle all of DirecTV channels anymore, so some channels are not shown on these old Receivers.
3. No, you would still pay the monthly fee. With owned equipment it's called a "mirroring fee" instead of lease fee, but it's the same amount of money.
4. Access cards are not transferable across Receivers. You would need new access cards. DirecTV will sent you new cards for ~$20 ea.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#28 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

Avder:
2. PQ should be comparable. But they don't have enough Guide Data memory (RAM) to handle all of DirecTV channels anymore, so some channels are not shown on these old Receivers.
3. No, you would still pay the monthly fee. With owned equipment it's called a "mirroring fee" instead of lease fee, but it's the same amount of money.

Which channels wouldnt show up? If its PPV and specialty sports channels it wouldnt be a problem as I only watch my center ice stuff in the living room in HD.

And whats the thing behind the mirroring fee? Is that just some bogus un-fee to make sure I'm still paying as much as I would with leased recievers?

So with all that anyway I suppose my best options are to either see if I can get $5 for em on ebay or keep them around if I ever want SD in another room?

Also I was looking at getting a decent SWM later this year, not the directv ones, but the commercial ones that have legacy ports and allow OTA diplexing, I assume the legacy ports on that switch would allow these to work? But would I need legacy ports for the D12's, or are they SWM compatible?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...