Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Making the move to satellite -questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Novice

Novice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 11:55 AM

Finally asking for help in making a decision. I am an ex-big dish user and am currently on cable, (am I allowed to say Comcast?). From all I've read Directv seems to be the best option. I definitely want a dvr, minimum 80 hrs. and also don't want to give up ny big screen PIP option. I understand Samsung is coming out with a dvr, larger drive and PIP capability - any word on this other than rumor. Sorry to be so wordy, this is my first attempt at a message (query) and will try to be more concise in future. All suggestions (not rude) will be read and appreciated.
What does post a poll mean??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:30 PM

At this time, the only DirecTV DVR receivers that are currently available is Hughes HDVR2 (which does NOT record HDTV), Phillips DSR-7000, and RCA's DVR39. All three are essentially the same unit as they come from the same factory with only some cosmetic differences. However, you can easily expand the units to hold up to 2 120MB hard drives, giving you over 200 hours of record time. Making this modification will void your warranty. There are companies that will perform the hard drive expansion for you.

There have been some announcements of some DirecTV DVRs with larger hard drives, but they are currently not available for sale yet. The price will be higher. Also with no release date set is a DVR with HD recording capabilities.

The DirecTV PVRs all use the TiVo software. There is a $4.99 fee for the feature unless you subscribe to Total Choice Premium.

AFAIK, there is no PIP capability in DirecTV's PVRs. There was one in the UltimateTV unit, but manufacturing of those units have since been discontinued.

The best deals are when you first purchase the system. You will need to commit to a one-year contract at Total Choice or above, and the receivers must be activated within 30 days of purchase. So, it's best to plan ahead. I would highly recommend the Triple LNB even though most of the English services is at the 101 position. It makes it easier to transition to HDTV services down the road.

For my install:
* HDVR2 (DirecTV DVR)
* Two Additional Receivers (HBH-SA's)
* Triple LNB dish
* Installation
* Shipping
Total cost: $226.

Now, note: A standalone HDVR2 usually costs $199-$249 for existing customers through the regular outlets. DirecTV does have a special going on, but don't ask me for details.

As for posting a poll, a poll is just a series of questions that start off a topic to get an opinion or for use with contests. An administrator or a moderator can make a poll.

You may also want to consider getting a more unique name than Novice. Otherwise... welcome to DBSTalk.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:59 PM

I came to DBS from C-band, and frankly, life is better. Dish has some significant new hardware 'just around the corner', so check out Superdish and the 921. I like Dish because of the Superstations, a taste that I carried over from C-band. We are supposed to be getting local channels soon, but after not having them for 12 years, I really don't care. Better stuff on the Superstations anyway.

Anything you buy, make sure to wire for HD. Whether we want it or not, it is coming.

LMS

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:03 AM

Novice if you want DVR stay away from DISH you will be disappointed unless you were a Houston Tracker user on the big dish. Samsung is supposed to be coming out with a 120 gig hard drive DVR, it is supposed to come out in August but the month is almost over. You can get a standard 40 gig DVR then have the hard drive replaced to give the extra recording.

#5 OFFLINE   Novice

Novice

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:17 AM

Quick responses, thank you. While planning ahead as suggested I will also try to come up with a more unique name, novice is what I am but after reviewing names in use I think you are right and will change to 'happygramps', for reasons not necessary to explain. I will give Samsung one more month as that sounds promising, other than that Zloth seems to anticipate what my needs will be. What would it roughly cost to have the hard drive upgraded to say 120, or it is easily done - such as when I upgraded my pc?
Thanks for the respnses.

#6 OFFLINE   Novice

Novice

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:23 AM

Rules say I cant change my user name so happy gramps will remain novice, no biggee as Ive been called worse.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:18 AM

Try AVSforums Direct Tivo section for lots of information on upgrading the hard drive.

#8 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:24 AM

Another place to go for instructions on doing it yourself (or buying one ready to go) is http://www.9thtee.com

I got my brackets there and they went in as promised. The upgrade is fairly easy if you're PC savvy.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#9 OFFLINE   arley

arley

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 02:51 PM

I'm in the same boat; making the move to satellite when the house is rewired. I'm in an area with a lousy cable company. (Two years ago I inquired about when they would offer cable modem service, and I had to explain what that was to them.) :nono2:

Unless something major comes out at the Charlie Chat in a couple of weeks, I'm now leaning toward DirecTV with a couple of Hughes HDVR2's. For 'futureproofing' I'm having the electrician run 5 runs of RG6 from where the dish will be located, back into the house to a central panel with a multiswitch.

Any other suggestions about wiring?

arley

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:56 PM

Quick responses, thank you. While planning ahead as suggested I will also try to come up with a more unique name, novice is what I am but after reviewing names in use I think you are right and will change to 'happygramps', for reasons not necessary to explain.

You may need to e-mail a administrator to change your user name.

I will give Samsung one more month as that sounds promising, other than that Zloth seems to anticipate what my needs will be. What would it roughly cost to have the hard drive upgraded to say 120, or it is easily done - such as when I upgraded my pc?

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have not performed the upgrade yet.

The upgrade of any Tivo is not for the novice, but I'm told that if you work with computers, you can upgrade the hard drive. Just allow plenty of time and read the Hinsdale instructions carefully and about three times through. There are also companies that will upgrade the hard drive for you.

However, don't perform the upgrade until at least the parts warranty is up... just in case of failure.

A 120GB hard drive can be had for around $100 each (depending on promotion) and the weekness bracket is around $50, so upgrading a HDVR2 to oiver 200 hours is about $250.

And, yes, this is perfectly fine with Tivo, although they do not endorse the procedure.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#11 OFFLINE   Novice

Novice

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Z'loth, that sounds the way for me to go. I will see what Samsung is offering, hopefully pip will be in the new unit. Then if not I will do as you suggest, I have worked with computers so feel pretty comfortable and def. agree about three times thru instructions. For a novice that is. Tnx again.

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 August 2003 - 07:08 AM

No problem.

#13 OFFLINE   Novice

Novice

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:19 AM

I read a message with inquiry about a fix for a CC problem. I assume that is closed cap. and if so is there a problem with it?? Unfortunately I need that function.

#14 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:05 AM

A 120GB hard drive can be had for around $100 each (depending on promotion) and the weekness bracket is around $50,

It's WeaKnees

not weekness or weakknees or weakness.

:)

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 August 2003 - 12:25 PM

Well, however they're called, they make what appears to be a better bracket for the HDVR2 than 9th tee, and the kit comes with everything including a semi-hard to find cable.

spam firewall