Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPNHD College Football

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tcass

tcass

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:32 PM

Question: I just hooked up to Direct TV and its HD package. I have a Toshiba 57" widescreen HDTV. I'm using the Hughes HD satellite receiver. I receive Discovery HD, HDNet, HDMovies, HBO HD, SHOWTIME HD perfect in high-def mode. The picture fills my entire screen in 16:9 mode. The picture for all five channels is crisper than I ever thought was possible. True HD.

I was not home Saturday night to watch the ESPN HD broadcast of the college game in high-def. I did catch the 2 a.m. (CST) replay.

However, I have some concerns. On my Toshiba in high-def mode, the picture came across squished from top to bottom. The announcers looked out-of-proportion, like a 4:3 picture was trying to fit my 16:9 screen. I flipped over to the other five HD channels and they were perfect -- crisp picture, no squished video.

Is something wrong with ESPN?

I don't think it's my receiver because I was able to get the other five HD channels. Was the game really in HD? Am I doing something wrong?

I went into the install mode and flipped the AV set up around. But everything I did made no difference.
With football season here, I want to get this fixed.

Any help?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nuts4scuba

nuts4scuba

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:41 PM

I read on a couple of sports messageboards that the picture looked great. One person stated that they had Comcast and the others didn't say if they watched it on D* or cabe. Could the replay been from the standard ESPN instead of HD?

#3 OFFLINE   tcass

tcass

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:45 PM

I read on a couple of sports messageboards that the picture looked great. One person stated that they had Comcast and the others didn't say if they watched it on D* or cabe. Could the replay been from the standard ESPN instead of HD?

I was wondering the same thing -- was the replay in standard?
Maybe, but the picture still was squished. Maybe it was. The program guide on TV, however, labeled it HD.

#4 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:51 AM

I read elsewhere that currently ESPN cannot re-brodcast in HD. Their studio can only brodcast live HD events.
After they finish upgrading their studio next year, then all orginal HD events could be replayed in HD. (As well as HD sportscenter, etc)

#5 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:26 PM

I watched the original broadcast on HD on my Sony receiver and the picture was quite sharp and detailed. None of the problems you described. Your theory about the replay being in SD is probably correct.

Question: I just hooked up to Direct TV and its HD package. I have a Toshiba 57" widescreen HDTV. I'm using the Hughes HD satellite receiver. I receive Discovery HD, HDNet, HDMovies, HBO HD, SHOWTIME HD perfect in high-def mode. The picture fills my entire screen in 16:9 mode. The picture for all five channels is crisper than I ever thought was possible. True HD.

I was not home Saturday night to watch the ESPN HD broadcast of the college game in high-def. I did catch the 2 a.m. (CST) replay.

However, I have some concerns. On my Toshiba in high-def mode, the picture came across squished from top to bottom. The announcers looked out-of-proportion, like a 4:3 picture was trying to fit my 16:9 screen. I flipped over to the other five HD channels and they were perfect -- crisp picture, no squished video.

Is something wrong with ESPN?

I don't think it's my receiver because I was able to get the other five HD channels. Was the game really in HD? Am I doing something wrong?

I went into the install mode and flipped the AV set up around. But everything I did made no difference.
With football season here, I want to get this fixed.

Any help?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...