Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Premium Channel Premieres: October 2009

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

In the absence of the inimitable bdowell (hopefully he'll be back soon enough, but no rush), I've taken the reins over with these monthly posts about all the wonderful new movies premiering on the various premium channels.

I'll use some of bdowell's formatting, so all is uniform.

Note that I'll update this thread as information becomes available and if I have any available time. As always, everyone will hopefully of course appreciate any information you may be able to add. If you find the information useful, you may wish to subscribe to this thread so you'll receive e-mails as information is added :)

All premieres on Saturdays, unless otherwise noted.

Note please that I haven't confirmed that the programs I have listed are actually premiering for the first time on these channels. These programs may have been shown on channels, or on other nites before the dates shown. The information below is just a look at the list of movies and major programs that are upcoming and seem to be showing for the 'first time' (on the network that is shown) on the dates noted.

Starz

HBO

Cinemax

Showtime

There may be other mid-week premieres, as usual. Will note those as I discover them.

Edited by pablo, 01 October 2009 - 10:44 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hopefully the premiers on the other premiums are better. Only Starz premiere I am interested in is Seven Pounds.

#3 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

HBO and Cinemax added. Showtime added as well, but unless I'm missing something they only have a single premiere this month.

#4 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hopefully the premiers on the other premiums are better. Only Starz premiere I am interested in is Seven Pounds.

This is an awesome movie....

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

I've seen Australia a couple times. Downloaded it on VOD to compare it to my BD players PQ and got a BR disk at Hollywood. Good movie. Predictable, but well made and well scripted. I'd rate this as a "don't miss" movie.

Rise of the Lycans was good too.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

I've seen Australia a couple times. Downloaded it on VOD to compare it to my BD players PQ and got a BR disk at Hollywood. Good movie. Predictable, but well made and well scripted. I'd rate this as a "don't miss" movie.

Rich

Making a brief appearance as time allows a bit...

The comments on Australia inspire some thoughts of my own. I watched (and reviewed) it when it was first released to Blu-ray back in the late winter/early spring (March 2009). My wife watched it with me and later claimed that she loved the movie, though when we originally started watching the film it seemed to be a disjointed mess.

It started out as a serious film, then jumped into screwball comedy, then back to serious and was all over the map. As a whole, I think it came out well, and that is probably what my wife would say now if she were alive to say so. I think she found the film enjoyable by the end and probably blotted out the complaints we had in watching the first (roughly) 1/3 of the film as we enjoyed the final portions of the film a lot more than the early part.

I'd say it was worth viewing, but it was about 30 - 40 minutes longer than it needed to be, or at least it would be a better film if it was more focused in style (which could be done by cutting 30 - 40 minutes out).

I've almost bought a copy on Blu-ray, despite originally coming up with a 'rent it' type recommendation, but that would mostly be in memory of my wife and her enjoyment of the film. Personally, I'd probably not bother with rewatching the film, though I wouldn't rush to change the channel if I saw it was on. (At least not if I was watching the last half or so of the film.)
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#7 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

Great thread and great comments. I am glad these types of threads are posted.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

Rich

Was there any diference in quality?

Good movie, very long though.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...